PDA

View Full Version : Questions on PV muffler/Catback

VX Monster
11/09/2002, 12:08 PM
Hey, all.

I just read a huge thread on vmag on pv mufflers, catbacks, etc., and I'm coming away with more questions than answers.

Maybe some basics would help me and any other lurking previously-non-gear-heads.

The term "catback" seems almost generic - what is it? What's it do? What is the catback that the PV muffler isn't? Just pipes?

Why would a muffler need time to break in? What changes... it's all steel, isn't it?

There have been changes in the PV in the last two years, though I don't know what... have any of the issues brought up here been addressed?

What's the resonator thingey for?

Is there a reason to get a bigger tip (other than, "what guy doesn't like to look down and see a bigger tip?")? If so, what does that tip actually do (other than visually)?

The "wheezinator" that people removed had to be put in for some reason to begin with - performance companies don't sit around and figure out ways to make their products annoy customers - so does anyone know what it was originally intended to do? Some have indicated performance reasons?

Thanks,

Moncha
11/09/2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by VX Monster

The term "catback" seems almost generic - what is it? What's it do? What is the catback that the PV muffler isn't? Just pipes?

It's a replacement pipe and muffler combo from the cat converter on out.

Why would a muffler need time to break in? What changes... it's all steel, isn't it?

There is not really a "break in" period. But the fiber glass contained within the mufflers (Not specific to PV) does have a tendency to "settle" and you may hear a tone change. The PV is a very high quality item. I'm not sure if I have actually heard the tone change (For the better) or if I'm just more used to the sound.

There have been changes in the PV in the last two years, though I don't know what... have any of the issues brought up here been addressed?

I have not heard of any resolutions to the issues that have been brought up by the company. Although, there have been several members that have resolved on their own.

What's the resonator thingey for?

The final exhaust note that come from the pipe can be changed by the type of tip (resonator) installed.

Is there a reason to get a bigger tip (other than, "what guy doesn't like to look down and see a bigger tip?")? If so, what does that tip actually do (other than visually)?

See above

The "wheezinator" that people removed had to be put in for some reason to begin with - performance companies don't sit around and figure out ways to make their products annoy customers - so does anyone know what it was originally intended to do? Some have indicated performance reasons?

Again, the tip will change the tone of the exhaust coming from the pipe.. the actual note of the PV "Catback" is pretty good and the drone that some have complained about, in my experience, has quieted down quite a bit. I'm not sure why the PV tip "wheezes" but, it does. I see an air gap around the insert that does have some glass gasket packing around it and I think that the gas pressure builds up on WOT that it leaks by and whistles... I'm testing a few things and will post results..

Hope some of this info helps

VX Monster
11/10/2002, 10:27 AM
Scott,

It does help, a lot. Thanks.

Now... what's WOT?:righto:

Moncha
11/11/2002, 08:10 AM
Wide open throttle...