PDA

View Full Version : collector license plates

Frankenstein
12/09/2013, 04:42 PM
Anybody have collector plates on your VX? You can get them for cars with a lower production # of 8,000. I read they only made 5958.

rowhard
12/09/2013, 05:02 PM
Think they need to have been around for 20 or 30+ years to be considered a collector car:yesy:

Riff Raff
12/09/2013, 05:08 PM
I read they only made 5958.

Errr...........nope...........try this "link".

http://wildtoys.com/Vehicross/history.asp

:bgwb:

P.S.-- I'd rather have a "Vanity Plate" than a collector plate anyway.

Frankenstein
12/09/2013, 05:20 PM
I'm not talking about historical plates. I have those on my broncos.
I have read conflicting #s on some things. But total built were under 8,000. Japan kept around 1800.

JoFotoz
12/09/2013, 05:30 PM
AFAIK...these are the "official figures"

"Sales were intentionally limited, with only 5958 vehicles being produced between 1997 and 2001;
1805 were produced for the domestic Japanese market and the remaining 4,153 sold in the United States""

Some JDM's went elsewhere ( UK etc)...as did some of the US models.
But the overall figure seems to be 5958 total.

I'm very open to correction though :_thinking

Jo

Frankenstein
12/09/2013, 05:50 PM
That's what I'm talking about Jo. But I called Isuzu owner relations They said 4165 imported to USA. Nobody is very far off. But the key to collector plates is under 8000 no age requirements. No restrictions on mileage.

JoFotoz
12/09/2013, 05:54 PM
Yup..its close enough...something less than 6000 !

I know Historical plates, but I've never heard of "collector" plates.

jo

Frankenstein
12/09/2013, 05:57 PM
So that makes the Vehicross officially a collector car. And can get the plates to prove it!

Frankenstein
12/09/2013, 06:10 PM
I am applying for collector plates. The BMV's books only go up to cars 1990 or older. But some new cars can be collector cars.

Scott Larson
12/09/2013, 08:40 PM
In Minnesota the vehicle must be at least 20 years old and is restricted to use solely as a collector item and cannot be used for general transportation purposes. The plates may however be personalized. You must also have at least one other vehicle registered with regular Minnesota plates...

Frankenstein
12/10/2013, 02:36 AM
In Ohio it can't be your principal means of transportation. The tags can be personalized. The collector car doesn't have to be emission tested.

Y33TREKker
12/10/2013, 06:00 PM
Is it possible some of the categories being referred to are just getting a little mixed up/cross-referenced?

Vehicles 20 years and older are eligible for "Antique" plates in Illinois. (Maybe that's the same as "Historical")?

And "Collector" plates would seem to be based more on production numbers than age.

All of which are different from "Personalized".

Frankenstein
12/10/2013, 07:05 PM
Your right Trekker. Historical and Antique are the same in different states. In Ohio and other states you can also reserve or personalize a collector plate for more money.

vt_maverick
12/11/2013, 06:25 AM
It's 25 years for antique in Virginia. If there was a "classic" designation I might consider it someday, but putting the word "antique" on the front of my VX (we have front plates in VA) seems wrong.

evillecutter
12/11/2013, 07:09 AM
in indiana i think my firebird had to be 25 years old before i could get an antique plate for it and even then and a friggin sherriff actually came to check the vin numbers and stuff before i could get the plate - i thought that was a little eccessive but whatever - then it expired when i wasnt driving it for a while so when it was time to get new plates i didnt even bother with the antique plates again - ive never even heard of collector plate

got this off wikipedia:

lists antique, historic, and classic, but i see nothing for "collector" or low production # vehicles

In the United States, there are several types of license plates that are issued to special passenger, non-passenger and non-private vehicles. Depending on the jurisdiction, such types may include:
Amateur (ham) radio
Antique vehicle
Apportioned (commercial vehicle
paying license fees to multiple states)
Auto dealer (for use on test drives)
Bus (Omnibus in New Jersey)
Classic vehicle
Colleges or Universities
Combination (vehicle used for
both commercial and personal use )
Commercial vehicle
Commuter van
Construction equipment
Dealer
Diplomat (Diplomatic plates are issued by the
U.S. State Department and not by individual states)
Disabled (Handicapped)
Exempt (Government)
Emergency vehicle
Ambulance
Emergency Medical Technician
Paramedic
Fire Trucks
Heavy rescue vehicle
Rescue squad
Farm equipment
Fertilizer truck
Fleet vehicle
Freemason
Foreign organisation
Government vehicle
Hearse
Historic vehicle
Implement of husbandry
Loaner vehicle
Livery
Logging truck
Mass Transit
Medical Doctor
Military
Mobile home
Motorcycle
Olympic Games-related vehicle
Omnibus
Passenger car
Police car
Press
Press Photographer
Recreational vehicle
Repossession
School bus
Senator
Taxicab
Television station
Tow truck
Tractor
Trailer
Truck
Vehicle manufacturer
Veteran
Volunteer Ambulance Service
(VAS) <- As seen in New York State
Volunteer firefighter
Wildlife
Wrecker (tow truck)

UWVX89
12/11/2013, 08:25 AM
Anybody have collector plates on your VX? You can get them for cars with a lower production # of 8,000. I read they only made 5958.

Hey let me know what you come up with! I'm an ohio guy and have two of these puppies. Also, I think you have been trying to call me but as always my phone has been acting up and I'm only receiving missed calls but I don't know when you actually call! PM me a number and I'll get in touch before I get back this weekend!

nfpgasmask
12/11/2013, 08:56 AM
This has gotta be a state rule. On DMVNV.com there is nothing about collector plates...we just have "classic rod" plates which only 20 years or older qualify, and then you are exempt from emissions, but then you can only drive 5000 miles or less per year, which sucks...

Bart

Frankenstein
12/11/2013, 09:10 AM
Man that's a lot of different plates Evil. I have to write Isuzu Motor's of USA corporate offices a letter. They then write me a letter that I send in with my application for collector plate. It looks like every state is different. I will make you all proud when I get these. Hey what do you think about this? Frnknstn

Cobrajet
12/11/2013, 12:03 PM
Man that's a lot of different plates Evil. I have to write Isuzu Motor's of USA corporate offices a letter. They then write me a letter that I send in with my application for collector plate. It looks like every state is different. I will make you all proud when I get these. Hey what do you think about this? Frnknstn

Is there enough Isuzu left in Frankenweenie to qualify? :bwgy:

tom4bren
12/11/2013, 12:07 PM
Hey what do you think about this? Frnknstn

Isn't 8 characters too many?

Frankenstein
12/11/2013, 12:20 PM
Is there enough Isuzu left in Frankenweenie to qualify? :bwgy:

They will say "what the hell was that?" Its a Vehicrossed with a dodge. :bgwo:

Frankenstein
12/11/2013, 12:22 PM
Isn't 8 characters too many?

I will check after work. Maybe 8 with no space & #s.

johnnyapollo
12/12/2013, 02:42 AM
Different in every state.

evillecutter
12/12/2013, 08:22 AM
for anyone going through a transition in their life - someone wanting a new start:

http://i0.wp.com/www.rowsdowr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/anustart-arrested-development-blue.png?resize=600%2C600

tom4bren
12/12/2013, 08:47 AM
Sure

I'd rather read it as A-NU-START

instead of ANUS-TART

Scott Larson
12/12/2013, 09:12 AM
Talk about a Mt Dew tru da nose moment. thanks alot Tom....

evillecutter
12/12/2013, 10:01 AM
Sure

I'd rather read it as A-NU-START

instead of ANUS-TART

thats why it was funny!! :p

tom4bren
12/12/2013, 10:13 AM
Like the guy I saw driving like a D1CK ...

& his license plate read BAOWNR

His vanity plate took on a meaning that I'm sure he didn't intend.

evillecutter
12/12/2013, 10:42 AM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/funny-license-plate-0.jpg

Frankenstein
12/12/2013, 12:12 PM
That's not right. Evil

RickOKC
12/12/2013, 06:35 PM
ANUSTART? LMAO!

It still makes me smile when I remember a beat up old pickup with DOZENS of religious bumper stickers plastered all over the tailgate. The tag was "H8N S8N."

I know this isn't quite it the spirit of a vanity plate but I saw something today that I thought was really cool. Someone cut down various plates from various states from top to bottom so each number/letter was on on thin strip. It was put them together and framed as a decoration to spell out "58VETTE". COOL!

Frankenstein
01/04/2014, 06:10 AM
I got my letter from Isuzu USA last week. I sent it in with the application for collector plates about a week ago. Frknstn was taken, so just getting one off the pile. This could take 4 weeks. So I got second temporary tag yesterday. The first temp tag expired a couple of weeks ago. I was working too much to drive it. Man does it feel good to be behind that dodge steering wheel again. :dan_ban:

Y33TREKker
01/07/2014, 12:13 PM
What was the cost in Ohio for such a plate?

And would you mind posting the contact info for the Isuzu Motors corporate office you sent your letter to? (or just send me a PM)

This would definitely be a cool customization for a VX. :yesgray:

Frankenstein
01/07/2014, 07:06 PM
$63 for the first year. $58 after that. $10 more than a regular plate. It's $50 more a year if you want to personalize it. Isuzu motors corporate offices USA is 1400 S. Douglas rd. Suit 100 Anaheim, California, 92806. No phone #, you have to write them.

vp277
01/07/2014, 08:00 PM
I got my letter from Isuzu USA last week. I sent it in with the application for collector plates about a week ago. Frknstn was taken, so just getting one off the pile. This could take 4 weeks. So I got second temporary tag yesterday. The first temp tag expired a couple of weeks ago. I was working too much to drive it. Man does it feel good to be behind that dodge steering wheel again. :dan_ban:

What was the nature of the letter? I'd love to get collector's plates for our VX.

tom4bren
01/08/2014, 05:10 AM
I got my letter from Isuzu USA last week. I sent it in with the application for collector plates about a week ago.

Can you scan the letter & post it?

That'd prolly be good to keep in your hip pocket in case of an accident (my insurance company totalled the VX due to a smooched fender & hood ... good thing I was too AR to let it die though & put her back on the road). Collector status could swing the value in favor of repair over total loss.

evillecutter
01/08/2014, 07:18 AM
$63 for the first year. $58 after that. $10 more than a regular plate. It's $50 more a year if you want to personalize it. Isuzu motors corporate offices USA is 1400 S. Douglas rd. Suit 100 Anaheim, California, 92806. No phone #, you have to write them.

i have the number for the parts dept in the anaheim location if that helps - maybe they can transfer the call or answer some questions

1-714-935-9300

i got it from the guys at borg warner when i was looking for the ever elusive transfer case seals

Frankenstein
01/08/2014, 09:24 AM
What was the nature of the letter? I'd love to get collector's plates for our VX.

I asked them to give me the total produced on Isuzu letter head. If they couldn't, to give me the total imported. That is what Ohio BMV asked for. They gave me the number imported.

Baldwin
01/08/2014, 12:24 PM
Does California have this? What does it look like? Can you post a copy of the letter so we can use it too so we don't have to write Isuzu?

Frankenstein
01/08/2014, 03:02 PM
Tom4bren & Baldwin I will go to the library this weekend and try to scan the Isuzu letter. My computer is broke, I need a new one. I will try to post it this weekend. :bgwo: Good thing I made A copy before I sent it in.

tom4bren
01/09/2014, 07:30 AM
I just PM'd you my mailing address. If you send me a xerox copy of the letter, I'll scan it & post it for you.