PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship?

ND92
12/08/2013, 10:11 PM
I've searched around here for hours and could only find a few threads that vaguely mention sponsorship.
I've been thinking more and more about seeking sponsorship for my VX mainly because parts are just too damn expensive, And I just acquired a new 2 wheeled beast. I figured that the VX being so unique and "out there" looking even for a 13 year old that a company might want something as head turning as the VX to show off some parts. Plus I attend as many car shows as humanly possible (every Wednesday, Saturday night and registered car shows) so it gets a TON of exposure.

So my questions are:
Has anyone had experience with car sponsors?
Or sponsorships for the VX?
Or heard of anyone who has had good or bad experiences with them?
And if it is a good idea?

WormGod
12/09/2013, 07:28 AM
Yep. Raced cars and bikes for years. Though my sponsorships were factory and factory support. Much different than what you are referring to.

The type of sponsorship you are referring to is not rare, but slimy. You usually get little to nothing out of it and they end up turning your car into THEIR billboard, not yours. I have quire a few friends who have stereo shop sponsorships for their cars and they attend events to showcase the audio goods and install craftsmanship. They had nice cars before. Now their cars are glowing music boxes that stepped out of a time machine from 1991. And the best they get from it is they crap in the car and small discounts on audio gear. And failure to attend "required" events is forfeiture of sponsorship.

As for the VX, again, it depends on WHAT you want to highlight. You want offroad gear, go talk to some local truck customizing shops. I know around here, it's rare for anyone to sponsor you for show, but if your vehicle has a function that can highlight the work and parts this particular shop performed on it, there is a possibility. But again, I would not expect too much. Especially with the VX (no offense). Just not mainstream enough for them to get VX business. Jeep? Hell, the world is your oyster. :(

Just my $.02, but again, I raced, so sponsorship was a lot different.

Leon R
12/09/2013, 07:54 AM
You and every 18 year old with a tricked out Civic are looking for such "sponsorship". ;) And unfortunately, there are companies that take advantage of such people. Most offer 20-30% off their products, while starting out around 40-50% higher than other sources, so it is no bargain...

Then, there are motorsports. I have been sponsored before, but usually it involved testing out new products or trying to set new records. It was never for regular maintenance parts. And you had to be pretty good at what you were doing! Or... being VERY good at selling yourself, until your sponsors caught - up to you... I saw plenty of that ;)

The only legit "sponsorship" like that I heard about, were companies who wrap your car into their advertisement and then pay you $200-$300/ month to drive it. BUT... they are usually located in big metro areas AND your commute would have to be LONG and through some HIGH traffic areas. Some might even track you through GPS to make sure they are getting the image out.