PDA

View Full Version : Picture of car seat in a VX

mindaugas
11/20/2013, 08:55 PM
Does anyone have a picture of a car seat in a VX? I like the idea of the flip down method but would love to see what a rear or forward facing seat looks like tucked back there. Has anyone put two in?

JHarris1385
11/21/2013, 05:17 AM
Looks like a car seat in the back of an SUV. Honestly, if I did not have the seat rail extenders I would never even attempt the drive.

vt_maverick
11/21/2013, 06:22 AM
What is the flip down method? I can take a picture tonight, we're packing up to go to the beach this afternoon.

Oh and JHarris is right, if you have two car seats you MUST have the passenger seat rail extensions or it's pretty much impossible to get the kids in and out.

JAMAS
11/21/2013, 06:30 AM
The flip down method, is where you load the kids from the back door with the rear seat flipped backwards. Then after loading, put the seat back to normal.

i have done this with an infant carrier seat and a rear facing britax car seat.

I honestly found it easier to load the infant car seat in to my VX than my wifes 4 door sedan.

vt_maverick
11/21/2013, 06:38 AM
I don't see how that's possible with two full car seats (i.e., not an infant carrier). I'd definitely have to unbelt one to pull them through on one side. And no rear door scenario works if you have cargo in the back (unless you're willing to unload half of your cargo area every time you take the kids out - which I have done but is not fun).

JAMAS
11/21/2013, 07:11 AM
I don't see how that's possible with two full car seats (i.e., not an infant carrier). I'd definitely have to unbelt one to pull them through on one side. And no rear door scenario works if you have cargo in the back (unless you're willing to unload half of your cargo area every time you take the kids out - which I have done but is not fun).

Its possible only rear facing. I only load from the side door for my 4 year old Son. Actually, its even easier than that. He gets himself buckled, I just tighten the straps. However, I have not had two full size rear facing car seats in use at the same time, my kids are about 3 years apart, so you may have had a different experience than me.

One of the reasons I made my cargo box in two parts was so that I could easily remove half to load my Son into his rear facing car seat.

From what I can deduce, mindaugas is about to purchase a vehicross, but he has a little voice telling him its a bad idea because they either have a small child, or are about to have a small child. My wife was pregnant with our first child when I sold a 4 door vehicle and purchased a 2-door vehicle (vx) so I have been in those shoes before. I was greatly surprised by how well I could make it work for my needs.

JAMAS
11/21/2013, 07:16 AM
Front facing with plenty of cargo storage

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG1173.jpg

vt_maverick
11/21/2013, 08:38 AM
I have a daughter who will be 5 in February and another who just turned 2 in August, so they're both in forward facing seats. Our oldest can work the chest buckle but she still has problems with the lower buckle, so I just put my knee on the floorboard behind the passenger's seat and I'm able to comfortably reach them both. In some ways it's easier than having a four door vehicle because you don't have to open two different doors to get them situated. On the otherhand you have to leave your wife out in the cold for longer since she can't sit in the front seat until you've finished buckling in the kids. :(

You gotta have the extensions IMHO.

JHarris1385
11/21/2013, 08:51 AM
It isnt hard, and like VT said, just knee on the floorboard behind the passenger seat and thats all.

Rear facing, I even used the passenger door.

PittVXr
11/21/2013, 09:33 AM
Here is my 2 1/2 year old in a forward facing car seat and my 4 1/2 year old in a booster seat. Last year they were both in forward facing car seats. No problem for them to climb in and out of the back seat. The passenger seat extenders are a must have so I can climb back there and get them buckled in.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/20131121_120444.jpg

JAMAS
11/21/2013, 12:05 PM
Here is my 2 1/2 year old in a forward facing car seat and my 4 1/2 year old in a booster seat. Last year they were both in forward facing car seats. No problem for them to climb in and out of the back seat. The passenger seat extenders are a must have so I can climb back there and get them buckled in.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/20131121_120444.jpg

Cute kids.

As a fellow parent, I would recommend getting a head rest for your daughters seat. That can be very dangerous in a collision.

mindaugas
11/21/2013, 12:19 PM

That's awesome, thanks a lot for the pic. I have a 19 month old and a 2 month old but it looks like two bulky car seats would fit no problem.

Marlin
11/21/2013, 01:12 PM
I can't even imagine trying to get two little ones in and out of the VX again. We bought a 4 dr car/truck to go with our Trooper RS and VX just so we wouldn't have to deal with it. When we wheel, we each take a kid and they ride shotgun. I don't miss the days of carseats. My boys were 3 and 1 when we started 5 yrs ago. Personally, I wouldn't pick up a VX as a primary vehicle, for the every once in awhile, it would be ok. The other problem with the back of the VX, they don't have windows. My kids hate riding in the back since they can't see out and follow what is going on.
Good luck,and potentially welcome to the family!

mindaugas
11/21/2013, 01:53 PM
I can't even imagine trying to get two little ones in and out of the VX again. We bought a 4 dr car/truck to go with our Trooper RS and VX just so we wouldn't have to deal with it. When we wheel, we each take a kid and they ride shotgun. I don't miss the days of carseats. My boys were 3 and 1 when we started 5 yrs ago. Personally, I wouldn't pick up a VX as a primary vehicle, for the every once in awhile, it would be ok. The other problem with the back of the VX, they don't have windows. My kids hate riding in the back since they can't see out and follow what is going on.
Good luck,and potentially welcome to the family!

We have a 4dr Outback wagon which will be the primary kid transport. I just wanted some justification for my wife :)
I think the kids will love it, when they get older it will be Dad's SpaceTruck.

PK
11/21/2013, 03:26 PM
When my Grandkids (ranging 3 - 8 years) are given a choice of which vehicle to ride in, "Pa's truck" wins every time. They don't look out the side windows, but like being up high and looking through the windscreen.
On long trips the in-dash DVD player keeps them quiet.

I load them through the back door because it is easier for me that way.

PK

SinJin
11/21/2013, 04:11 PM
Am I the only one that uses the roof rack?

mindaugas
11/21/2013, 04:23 PM
Am I the only one that uses the roof rack?
:yeso: