PDA

View Full Version : Paint on plastic moldings??

VX_PA
11/12/2003, 11:14 AM
If someone would paint the plastic side moldings does the paint stay on or chip off slowly? Just curious, kinda thinking about painting the side moldings so I don't have to shine them anymore. Maybe gunmetal, silver to match, or possibly even black, haven't totally decided yet. Anyone know of any problems in doing this??:confused:

WormGod
11/12/2003, 11:33 AM
Run a search on here and you should come up with more indepth threads about this.

Basically, and to keep it short, it is possible to paint without chipping and flaking. Propper scuffing and primers need to be used and it should only be done professionally. In the days when I used to paint, a solid catalyst polyuerethane or polyesther primer was used as well as in the paint. This aids in allowing the cladding to still flex without cracking up. The same is used on modern cars with plastic bumpers. It's nothing new.

Good luck.

AlaskaVX
11/12/2003, 11:34 AM
I'm sure it will chip a lot over time. I would line-x it!

VX_PA
11/12/2003, 11:44 AM
So just prep it like eurothane bumpers, cool. Just didn't want to paint then have it peel. Costs too much for that.

VX_PA
11/12/2003, 11:46 AM
What's the average price for Line-X? I can paint for around $500.

Anita
11/12/2003, 01:19 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2297&highlight=line+x

Try this search thread on Line X

Grandpa Bob (Green Dragon) was the first to do his truck and I think he pay'd under $500;Dr;

Rickster
11/12/2003, 01:21 PM
I've had mine painted for 2 years now with no problems. The most important thing is to use a plastic adhesion promoter.

Rickster

AlaskaVX
11/12/2003, 01:36 PM
Rickster, Do you even drive your VX? I couldn't imagine painted cladding up here in Alaska, my hood already looks like a battlefield! So Line-X is cheaper and a better solution, definately go with that! I only wish we had a guy up here that would be willing to Line-X my cladding, Boarzhead went around and no-one would do it for him.

Rickster
11/12/2003, 02:32 PM
Mine is a daily driver, nothing off road, but it is driven every day, and to shows.

Rickster

AlaskaVX
11/12/2003, 03:16 PM
Damn! I don't even want to imagine the looks you get when driving your VX around ;) I thought it was more of a show car, with that pic of the Avalanche towing it on the trailer.

Rickster
11/12/2003, 03:50 PM
I have actually been the cause of a few cars driving off the road, not paying attention to what their doing, they drift off the road.

It really keeps me on my toes.

Rickster