PDA

View Full Version : Rancho 9000XL's fitted what a difference

David Wiltshire
11/08/2013, 07:40 AM
First of all I would like to really thank VX Kat for very kindly sourcing these and sending them to me in the UK.
Have them fitted on the hardest setting i.e. on the stop at the upper end and what a difference in my drive home today. Here in the UK it's a bit like pot-hole city as most local authorities can't be bothered to fill them and the ride up one of the main roads was to say the least a bit bumpy today it was so comfortable. I may turn them back to 7-8 just to see if it's a bit too soft for me.
They are great shocks though and Monday I'm having my new Vredestien winter tyres fitted so I'm going to be ready for all that the British weather can throw at me.

tom4bren
11/08/2013, 08:02 AM
Glad they worked out for you.:smack::_steering:dan_ban:

Cobrajet
11/08/2013, 12:14 PM
Funny, I just replaced my Rancho RS9000X shocks this past week with OEM shocks, and I prefer the OEM ride. I had the Ranchos' set between 6 and 7. They're definitely not as stiff as the OEM, as I had a difficult time compressing the OEM shock to get them installed, but had no problem compressing the Rancho's. None of them were leaking, and all had the same compression damping. They had been on my VX since March 2005, and still look and feel fine. I haven't had a chance to thrash my VX on the curvy stuff, yet (had a load of brake parts bounding around the back), but plan to have a go this weekend to make sure everything, including the new brakes, is up to par.

The 9000X and 9000XL have different construction, and probably have a slightly different ride, so maybe the gas-charged XL would feel more like the OEM, but I think I'll stick with the OEM for now.

David Wiltshire
11/08/2013, 01:43 PM
The ride in my VX on any road other than perfectly smooth was really unacceptable, not sure what the majority of roads are like in the USA but here in the UK nice twisty little roads which are fun to drive are not really in a very good state. The Rancho's are a great improvement as there is no crashing and banging which is what I was getting with the OEM's.

GPA
11/08/2013, 01:52 PM
I went from OEM to Rancho 9000 a few months ago.
I have them set at "7" front and rear, which is softer than the OEMs for sure, but I really like the nicer ride.....handling is good also.
Put over a thousand miles on them with no complaints.
GPA

Lfen
11/08/2013, 03:37 PM
Same here, 1 Month with Ranchos set at 7 all around! Nice ride, but the biggest difference was when I removed the spring helpers. Lot smoother and quieter!

VX KAT
11/09/2013, 07:33 AM
YAH! Another cut bump stops in half or remove 'em completely convert!
Dramatically reduces that slamming effect at the back end. I think there's at least 10 of us that have done it now.

David Wiltshire
11/16/2013, 01:58 AM
Are the spring helpers the figure 8 type rubber things?

I have now had the Vredestien Wintrac 4 winter tyres fitted and they must have a stiffer wall than the very cheap Runway tyres that were on the VX. As I have noticed at 2 bar tyre pressure the ride was a bit harder so I have now set the Rancho's at 7 which produces a nicer ride.

VX KAT
11/16/2013, 06:29 AM
Are the spring helpers the figure 8 type rubber things?

I have now had the Vredestien Wintrac 4 winter tyres fitted and they must have a stiffer wall than the very cheap Runway tyres that were on the VX. As I have noticed at 2 bar tyre pressure the ride was a bit harder so I have now set the Rancho's at 7 which produces a nicer ride.

Yes, the black rubber figure eight. Just unbolt them, take a saw to the middle to cut them in half. I gained at least 4" clearance.

Here's a before/after. Can see it was virtually sitting ON the axle, maybe 1/4" off.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/DSCN0435.jpg (http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/photokat4/media/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/DSCN0435.jpg.html)

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/0908111658c.jpg (http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/photokat4/media/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/0908111658c.jpg.html)