PDA

View Full Version : Hood Drain Hole

JHarris1385
11/06/2013, 11:34 AM
Mine have dry rotted and cracked. Something I really didnt pay too much attention too till I noticed my battery was getting wet. Wet enough to cause quite a bit of corrosion on the positive terminal.

I called St. Charles, POTENTIALLY ONE left!

But I was wondering, has anyone else thought of a clever resolution for these? Another mod to replace them?

Any ideas?

MSHardeman
11/06/2013, 01:21 PM
If it's just the hose that connects to the little plastic drain "funnel" that you need I would think that a piece of fish tank tubing would work just fine.:_confused

JHarris1385
11/06/2013, 06:50 PM
Funnels broke!

evillecutter
11/07/2013, 06:10 AM
hey ask the guy on here who makes all the awesome small plastic parts noone can find - jason i think?

the guy who did the spare tire knobs and the roof rack things

looks like he does great work - i would buy a set too if he makes some

tom4bren
11/07/2013, 06:53 AM
He may have trouble making hollow pieces.

MSHardeman
11/07/2013, 08:25 AM
Even if Jason could make the basic shape in a solid form you could just drill out the hole for the drain. Shouldn't be too tough.

Back on topic... Unless someone has the little plastic funnels already removed you may need to call some of the salvage yards to see if they might have them.

tom4bren
11/07/2013, 09:13 AM
It's missing off of Boy's Ebony (replacement hood). I need to check to see if there's one on Wifey's Proton (may not be since hood came from a boneyard). I wish now I'd removed it from my crumpled hood before I trashed it.

JHarris1385
11/07/2013, 09:41 AM
It caused some serious corrosion issues from draining on the battery.

I didnt see any of it because of all the heat shrink wrapping and covers my terminals have from the amp wiring.

evillecutter
11/07/2013, 11:33 AM
http://www.isuzupartscenter.com/parts/2000/Isuzu/VehiCROSS/Base?siteid=216496&vehicleid=43807&diagram=4628085

#22 - $9.95

sorry this might be the same place st charles uses...

tom4bren
11/07/2013, 11:57 AM
Day-Um!!!

A hood blanket costs $230

I wouldn't mind forkin out $10 for the drain funnel though.

evillecutter
11/07/2013, 12:02 PM
yeah i noticed i could buy another vx for what a transfer case costs on there but it is a nice site to use for the diagrams and part names

RickOKC
11/07/2013, 09:53 PM
Day-Um!!!

A hood blanket costs $230

I wouldn't mind forkin out $10 for the drain funnel though.

Hey, is your blankie missing, worn out or just grimy? Mine looked nasty since it had NEVER been cleaned in 12 years (what "normal" person would bother? ;)) and was covered with water stains and road grime. It looked like such complete crap I was too embarrassed to open the hood at car shows. One day I sprayed it down with Simple Green, quickly went over it with a bristle brush, rinsed it clean with the garden hose and now it looks like brand new! Took about 10 minutes. :)

tom4bren
11/08/2013, 05:39 AM
You can also remove it & spray it down with black Flex-Seal (or the Rustoleum equivalent) to make it all purdy again.

Right now, I don't have mine installed since I still need to source 2 more screws for the LineX'd insert with the VX logo. The ones I used on the other holes were too short & I'd already removed all of the studs.

eternal21
11/13/2013, 01:46 PM
Do Rodeos or Troopers share the same piece?

tom4bren
11/13/2013, 02:04 PM
Do Rodeos or Troopers share the same piece?

Prolly not even worth searching. It's available for $10 from the URL above. It's plastic so if you find a used one, it'll prolly break during install.

BTW, Rodeos & Troopers probably don't have that piece anyway since it's to drain the recess for the hood insert (which they don't have).

Leon R
11/13/2013, 03:40 PM
I never bothered re-installing my drains. I just do not see the point. Engine bay is open to elements.

tysamigo
11/15/2013, 04:41 AM
Worse case scenario.... if you need a hood blankie and one cannot be obtained... you could always use Dynomat Extreme, Dynaliner (1/2" or 1/8") or both. It works great!

Leon R
11/15/2013, 10:33 AM
About that... I threw away my perfectly fine blanket... Seeing how you guys are crazy about those things, I should have saved and auctioned it off :yesy:

SAM52764
01/10/2014, 06:55 PM
It was raining today and after I got finished adding oil I noticed the bottom of the battery tray was swimming in water. The metal plate underneath that the battery sits on the paint has chipped and is rusting but today I looked down even further inside and the front frame bar between the battery and radiator is all covered in rust.

Now I'm really getting concerned because it looks like because of the way the tube has been draining I'm going to end up with the front corner all rusted out. I pulled the tube out and turned it so it drains away from the battery but that isn't going to solve much of anything since it's so short. The drivers side hose/drain doesn't have any problem at all.

Pulling out the drain tube won't solve anything, heck I don't even know right now if the water is even all going through the drain tube and not just coming out from under the insert. Is the only solution a longer drain tube like the fish tank air hose someone else suggested or is there another way to minimize any more damage?

Marlin
01/11/2014, 05:35 PM
Just LineX the entire hood and insert, then it doesn't matter if the water sits in there:) FWIW, I threw my blanket away along time ago, it got caked in red clay, wasn't worth messing with it. Seems to me it would keep more heat in the engine bay:)