PDA

View Full Version : EMPI CV axle fitment question/issue

spaceghost
10/19/2013, 09:52 AM
Newbie asking Oldie question. I searched, but it made my brain melt the more I read.

I am part way through replacing an OEM CV axle shaft with an EMPI 80-3619 from Amazon, opting for the easier "half shaft" replacement by leaving the tulip "green inner cup" in place and fitting the EMPI axle into it.

After getting things together, the inner joint bearing feels sloppy with rotational play. It seems likely I will eventual wear and ruin the OEM tulip if I run with this setup. Do not want.

Should I return the axles and purchase a better fit (if so what?), or should I try to reuse the OEM balls and cage with the EMPI retainer? If going for reuse, what is the best way to separate the cage from the shaft?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/CV_Axle_Comparison.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=24170)

bartmanS4
10/19/2013, 10:12 AM
I know that VXorado just snapped two EMPIs so I would steer clear of them. If you can return them and purchase Sur Tracks. See Jo's thread: http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24109&highlight=cv+axle

spaceghost
10/19/2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks! Ordered SurTrack IZ-8021 CV Axle Shaft for $50 each of Amazon.

JoFotoz
10/20/2013, 11:05 AM
:thumbup:

Thats a good alternative for those not needing full axle fix...

...at a good price.

jo

89Vette
10/20/2013, 11:39 PM
Should I return the axles and purchase a better fit (if so what?), or should I try to reuse the OEM balls and cage with the EMPI retainer? If going for reuse, what is the best way to separate the cage from the shaft?

Glad to hear there's another option these days. IIRC, there's a snap ring on the end of the shaft. I think you can see it in the OP's pics.

When the snap ring is removed, the cage/balls come off. As you posted, I believe I used the OEM balls and cage on the EMPI shaft. I'm coming up on a year w/o obvious issue.

I remember it being a slight Rubic's cube puzzle getting things swapped over. LOL

VXorado
10/21/2013, 09:11 AM
The empi shafts are made for a trooper which use a smaller inner CV (green cup) and that's why you noticed slop. I was only using empi because I replaced my passenger side cup with one from a trooper to make it easier to source replacements. I've had some recent bad luck with the empi shafts but it was during off road trips. I doubt anyone would break a shaft street driving but they're still junk imo.

Also, the race/bearings from the empi won't fit on an OEM shaft (or vice versa)

VX KAT
10/22/2013, 11:00 AM
Billy, IIRC, haven't you been running the Empi's for a while?

Triathlete
10/22/2013, 02:21 PM
Was...back to my oem's. I blew my empi's up :)
When I need more I will use the ones Jo recommended.

JoFotoz
10/22/2013, 02:33 PM
Buy spares now Billy...

Was...back to my oem's. I blew my empi's up :)
When I need more I will use the ones Jo recommended.

....I've seen how you drive!

:clap::jump::clap:

Jo

Triathlete
10/22/2013, 03:53 PM
And I've still broke less parts than you! :D

JoFotoz
10/22/2013, 04:03 PM
:jump:

And I've still broke less parts than you! :D

...come do Spike and Metal Masher, then we'll talk!!

:_beer:

Jo

Triathlete
10/22/2013, 04:59 PM
Did metal masher on 31's :D

And yes, I have pics to prove it :)

JoFotoz
10/22/2013, 05:01 PM
"Some" of MM methinks ... and Not with Me & Jack..:cool:

Did metal masher on 31's :D

And yes, I have pics to prove it :)

...... :eek: :eek: :eek:.

Spike for ya next May??? :thumbup:

Jo

whitebreadx
10/23/2013, 12:16 PM
My surtrack's will be here on friday: ) I be putting on the drive and passanger side cv axles, HD BJ's and HD BJ spacers, along with some HD tie rods. Hopefully my VX will feel a lot more silid

89Vette
10/25/2013, 10:14 PM
Also, the race/bearings from the empi won't fit on an OEM shaft (or vice versa)

Except that they did on mine. Watched the mechanic pull then off and swap them. AFTER I drove up to see if they checked ball-size -- because of reading about it on the forum.

The jerk-wads ignored my typed instructions. Good think I HAD to show up.

My R1 concepts rotor was mismanufactured. I just happen to ask about the ball-issue when I got there. The mechanic had to pull off the side he already installed when we noticed the slop.

We set the ball on the table. There was obvious difference. The cages were different too. The shafts LOOKED the same.