PDA

View Full Version : VIN generated keys - any recent experience?

Joe_Black
10/14/2013, 06:20 PM
Greetings Vx'ers! Been many, many moons since I last visited but hoping to get my 'zu back on soon. Have an issue though with one of my VX's: no keys and locked with no functioning key fob. Not really wanting to drill locks or break glass so figured to explore getting a key made from the VIN. I know you used to be able to get this done through the dealer and I've recently done it with a couple of my Mercedes but since Isuzu isn't so thick on the ground these days...

Has anyone had this done recently and if so did you go through St. Charles (they're still in the game, right?) or a local lock smith and what was your experience like?

Thanks and looking forward to catching up with everyone! :bgwo:

- Joe

blacksambo
10/15/2013, 08:22 PM
Welcome back. Call Merlin at St. Charles , MO Isuzu. If anybody knows he will.

44ficus44
10/16/2013, 06:14 AM
i broke my key inside the ignition. my local keysmith gor it out and made me a master copy and a door copy and didnt use the broken key as a reference, im sure they can do the same for you. plus mine was done in mexico, although were dodgy as hell here, im sure someone in the USA has the skills to do the same and better but good luck

FlyingV77
10/16/2013, 11:42 AM
Wow had a dream last night that I broke my key in the ignition

Joe_Black
10/16/2013, 06:53 PM
Good to know Merlin is still at it! I picked up an '88 Trooper recently that needs some love so I'll have to get my St. Charles list ready, lol. My issue as mentioned in original post is that I've got no keys and no entry, so unless I break some glass or drill out a lock I ain't gettin' in to pull a tumbler for a locksmith, and I really don't want to break or drill anything. At least not yet...

etlsport
10/16/2013, 08:23 PM
Good to know Merlin is still at it! I picked up an '88 Trooper recently that needs some love so I'll have to get my St. Charles list ready, lol. My issue as mentioned in original post is that I've got no keys and no entry, so unless I break some glass or drill out a lock I ain't gettin' in to pull a tumbler for a locksmith, and I really don't want to break or drill anything. At least not yet...

the VX is pretty easy to break into with a slim jim. Ask how i know!

blacksambo
10/16/2013, 09:55 PM
Merlin has moved on we're just now learning. Maybe Planet Isuzu has another parts pro to reco?

tom4bren
10/17/2013, 05:37 AM

A decent locksmith can 'scope' the tumbler from the outside and make a key.

Once upon a time ... long ago ... & far away ... I bought a used Amigo which had a locking compartment in the center console - with no key. I drove it to work for several years passing through 2 security check points each way that randomly had drug detection canines. SURPRISE! I was doing a thorough cleaning on it and unzipped the upholstery on the passenger seat & found a metal bandaide box inside. It was full of this 'strange plant material'. :)

I decided that I'd better check in that locked compartment as well & was surprised at how quickly the locksmith was able to get in (could have been incentivised though since I'd already told him the story & that I'd have my back turned when he got it open:)). He was kinda bummed though since the only thing in there was about 50 rounds of 22 ammo.

TRUE STORY!!!

FlyingV77
10/17/2013, 03:51 PM
50 rounds of 22 ammo? that's worth about a bazillion dollars in today's market