PDA

View Full Version : steering stabilizer

whitebreadx
10/06/2013, 07:37 PM
Has anybody by chance installed indy'$ steering stabilizer?
http://independent4x.3dcartstores.com/Isuzu-Steering-Stabilizer_p_299.html
If so does it make a big difference?

Triathlete
10/06/2013, 07:51 PM
I see abslutely no reason for that to be needed on an ifs vehicle. Those are made for lifted solid axle vehicles where the knuckles were not cut amd rotated for proper angles...it helps keep them from wondering.

tom4bren
10/07/2013, 04:35 AM
Or wandering.

Nuthin worse than a confused vehicle that's all over the road.:)

89Vette
10/14/2013, 10:07 PM
I actually think it's a good idea for oversized tires. Once in a while, I get an occasional shudder -- like I did when my Jeep stabilizer had gone bad. I looked underneath to make sure there wasn't one.

I don't think I have any play in the front suspension either. I think it's just the huge, oversize tires and their propensity for "grabbing" the road imperfections a bit more.

I wonder where it attaches?

89Vette
10/18/2013, 08:44 PM
I wonder where it attaches?

I sent independent 4x4 an email asking about this, visibility of the part (after install), and another question/two.

They never replied. Does their customer service suck?

Triathlete
10/18/2013, 08:53 PM
They are a small company...maybe a handfull of employees. It could take them a little longer than the big places that have guys just ro sit and reply.

tom4bren
10/23/2013, 05:48 AM
They never replied. Does their customer service suck?

I've never contacted them by email. Their customer service by phone is excellent.

UWVX89
10/23/2013, 05:23 PM
I'd be willing to give it a try if installation is fairly simple. My tires pull all the time and a little assistance with that wouldn't be half bad.

tom4bren
10/24/2013, 08:26 AM
I'd be willing to give it a try if installation is fairly simple. My tires pull all the time and a little assistance with that wouldn't be half bad.

Installation should be VERY simple. It's bolt on/no drilling or cutting. Prolly less than 30 minutes.

UWVX89
10/25/2013, 01:05 AM
Installation should be VERY simple. It's bolt on/no drilling or cutting. Prolly less than 30 minutes.

So I guess the real question is do we see this being beneficial?

bartmanS4
10/25/2013, 09:51 AM
Probably you would see some benefit if you are running large aggressive tires. These tend to be a bit more grabby. The stabilizer damps the shimmy and oscillating vibration. Same as on a motorcycle it keeps the steering from rapid swings i.e. tank slapper or underwear filler. It would also help to minimize unwanted steering feedback when hitting obstacles off-roading although I don't believe this is a problem with our VX's.
I had a Ducati that I modified the adjustable steering damper on with heavier oil to noticeably increase the damping. It made for heavier steering but I liked it that way for the street. You didn't have to fight it but you could feel the resistance.
Scott

tom4bren
10/25/2013, 01:21 PM
So I guess the real question is do we see this being beneficial?

I'll do it eventually ... I'm just not through procrastinating yet.

89Vette
10/25/2013, 10:02 PM

I did get a reply that said they thought it connect from the steering tube to the center-link. Can't figure that out after looking underneath. Does that make sense to one of you?

UWVX89
10/25/2013, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I think I'll get 'er done before the new year or maybe shortly after haha see how it goes.