PDA

View Full Version : E.r.g. Valve

kehecross
10/01/2013, 06:59 PM
I had a check engine light come on last week. So I had it checked and it came up with low voltage to E.G.R. valve. So I thought I would clean it. When I got home and took it off and the bolt on the backside of valve was loose so the exhaust was leaking and burnt the gasket. So I thought cool problem solved. Cleaned valve tightened bolts and replaced gasket reset light, Drove down road a quarter mile and light came back on. Had it checked today and same code came up. Had them reset light and it came back on. Could have it burned up the E.G.R. with the exhuast leaking?

blacksambo
10/01/2013, 08:24 PM
No. Not likely, unless its got a lot of miles on it.EGR is one of those tough codes to remove. Did you check to see if other subsequent codes turned up down the line like ...oxygen sensors? Take a look.

Triathlete
10/01/2013, 10:22 PM
Also may need to clean the egr tube.

kehecross
10/02/2013, 06:37 PM
No. Not likely, unless its got a lot of miles on it.EGR is one of those tough codes to remove. Did you check to see if other subsequent codes turned up down the line like ...oxygen sensors? Take a look.

No other codes came up. just thought it might have gotten too hot. I only have 75000 miles on the vx

kehecross
10/02/2013, 06:39 PM
Also may need to clean the egr tube.

Tube cleaned also:bwgy:

blacksambo
10/03/2013, 08:51 PM
I guarantee you have other fouled parts like O2 sensors in the chain. They won't throw codes but they are the culprit.

kehecross
10/26/2013, 06:01 AM
Turns out the EGR was bad after cleaning and resetting the light 4 times nothing helped. So I bit the bullet and bought a EGR and lght is out. Plunger on old EGR was sticking ever so little and I think (know) that was the problem. Just compared it with the new one. It is so nice to have the light out :bwgy:

JWJohns
10/26/2013, 06:55 AM
Have owned my VX and have the same problem, along with an intermittent high idle. Have replace IAC valve, EGR, Throttle position sensor. Notice comment above about cleaning the tube. I have read various methods - suggestions on what works the best? Also, still get the high idle periodically..any thoughts would be appreciated.

kehecross
10/27/2013, 01:57 AM
Had the high idle problem before ended up being the intake gasket. Not a hard fix, took me about 2 hours. I never had much luck getting anything out of the tubes. EGR was not real dirty either.

SoTxVx
05/17/2014, 02:31 PM
My 99 VX with 189K on the clock just threw the P0401 code. I removed the EGR valve and cleaned it. Used my shotgun (.410) cleaning rod and brushes to clean as much of the tubes running to and away from the EGR valve as I could. Removed the air intake and throttle body to clean the tube running into the intake manifold right behind the throttle body. It was almost completely closed up. Just a small pin hole was left to let the exhaust gas into the intake. It took awhile with an AR/.223 cleaning brush and gumout carb cleaner but I got it completely clean. Took awhile for the VX to start and run right at the first start up but 200 miles later, no CEL.

AlexVX
05/19/2014, 01:49 PM
I was getting EGR codes and O2 sensor codes on and off for a couple of years. Replaced EGR and O2 sensors to no effect - codes would show up until I replaced K&N filter (one that needs to be oiled) with basic one and cleaned MAF sensor. Cleaning MAF sensor takes $5 and 5 min.

eblank
08/02/2014, 09:35 PM
After over a year, 2 new ERG Valves, 4 new O2 sensors, cleaned MAF sensor, and a new intake gasket, I think I FINALLY got my EGR code under control. I took SoTxVx's advice and looked at the tube behind the throttle body. It was pretty much completely clogged with hard carbon gunk. After using a pick to get a little out, I took off the EGR valve, filled the small hole with carb cleaner (the other end of the tube) and let it soak for a minute, then blew it out with compressed air. I used electrical tape on the compressor tip to make a seal around it when i stuck it in the hole. beware, I ended up covering my garage wall with some nasty gunk... (should have held that towel in place...) Lets hope this keeps it away.

johnnyapollo
08/03/2014, 09:13 AM
Best way to clean the tube is to use a drill bit - they make one especially for cleaning the tube - takes a couple of minutes.

-- John

Mile High VX
08/03/2014, 10:31 AM
Best way to clean the tube is to use a drill bit - they make one especially for cleaning the tube - takes a couple of minutes.

-- John

Do you have a part number or pic of what it looks like or a size/description...I'm thinking this needs to go on my To Do list...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

eblank
08/03/2014, 04:06 PM
I didnt get a picture, but when you take off the throttle body and look in the intake manifold, its the pinkie sized tube with an open end pointing towards you. It runs straight the length of the manifold. Its angled down, so I couldnt get a drill bit or a barrel cleaner in there without taking the plenum off. Johnny, were you able to do it without taking anything farther apart, or did you have a flexible bit?

Ldub
08/04/2014, 08:31 AM
This might help...https://www.google.com/shopping/product/12731825517922834182?sclient=psy-ab&q=EGR+tube+flexible+cleaning+tool&oq=EGR+tube+flexible+cleaning+tool&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.72197243,d.aWw,pv.xjs.s.en.1omNKBfcxKQ.O&ion=1&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=583&tch=1&ech=1&psi=zqXfU6zYLIeQyAS69YGYBQ.1407165904990.15&ei=vabfU8bRJqjLsQTu_oGoCA&ved=0CF8QpiswAA

Leon R
08/05/2014, 06:58 AM
I loathe EGR systems, one of the worst "inventions" ever! They do OK job at reducing NOx emissions, but it comes at the price of gumming up your entire intake system and making your car run bad (thus contributing to other emissions).

My light has been solidly on right after last inspection (good timing, for a change). I suspect that my tubes are just as clogged as everyone else's. I will clean them before the next inspection and then I will block it that damn thing off! Until the following year...

Sometimes I toy with the idea of installing Axiom DI engine exhaust manifold, which doesn't have a provision for EGR tube :)

JHarris1385
08/05/2014, 08:21 AM
This seems decent (for picture reference): http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Egr-Drill-Bit-12/dp/B00LARI7KW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1407252029&sr=8-5&keywords=egr+drill+bit

Available here: http://www.amazon.com/S-U-R-Auto-Parts-SRREGR9-Flexible/dp/B00JRPG1HU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407252066&sr=8-1&keywords=egr+drill+bit

Plus some Seafoam