PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Cooler Nagging Leak

johnnyapollo
09/16/2013, 03:13 AM
I've got a fairly constant drip from both of the soft tubes connecting my tranny to the tranny cooler. I've fiddled with the clamps and tried replacement hose clamps - but eventually they just start leaking again. I think the hoses may be stiffening up - either that or as I read in an earlier thread, there isn't enough flex which causes the ends to move a bit, producing the leak. Has anyone else addressed a similar issue? I'm getting tired of constantly checking the ATF level and topping-up.

Anyone have a line you can recommend to replace the old? I've been looking at a couple of different manufacturers for the lines, both are carried by Advance Auto Parts:

Kit with extras (this may be for a specific oil cooler):
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_transmission-oil-cooler-reinstallation-kit-imperial_5670023-p

Hose by its lonesome:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_transmission-oil-cooler-replacement-hose-factory-air_18890661-p

I think the biggest failure point has more to do with the hose clamps than anything else - the factory clamps are the slip-type that just uses compression - once they are disturbed they never seem to re-seal. The tiny screw-type hose-clamps you can use to replace them tend to slip sideways as you tighten them - I think the engineering on them makes them fail on small diameters.

Has anyone found a good replacement hose clamp? It would need to fit a sub-1/2" diameter tube.

-- John

jmayer40
09/16/2013, 04:18 AM
I just bought hose stock from auto zone. Also thumb screw hose clamps so I can tighten when needed.

EVO
09/16/2013, 05:03 AM
Its not the hose clamp, the transmission cooler has a jacked up size nipple! I used a smaller hose and just stretched it a little and no more leaks!! Hope this helps!!! Mine leaked like a siv until I tried a smaller diameter hose!!

tom4bren
09/16/2013, 05:29 AM
Mine leaked after the accident repairs. They cut about 1/2" off the ends of the lines & re-attached with new (better) clamps.

Triathlete
09/16/2013, 07:25 AM
I replaced mine when I did my timing belt. From age they were hard and brittle. Just bought hose "by the length" from Orieley auto. Think it cost me about $6.

Makocross
09/18/2013, 05:29 PM
I just went to autozone and got some stock hose. I always use two hose clamps on each end. Just make sure the hose is rated for transmission fluid.
Mike

jmayer40
09/18/2013, 06:31 PM
I have an idea..... In the pipe before hose, make a small hole. Then your hose won't leak anymore.

bartmanS4
09/18/2013, 10:26 PM
He said nipple.

jmayer40
09/24/2013, 03:13 PM
5/16" fuel line works ... that's the size of trans line I.D ... 3/8 too big

KRemo
09/24/2013, 05:33 PM
Yes the fuel lines from Autozone work just fine and will cost about $3.00 each mine have been on for 6 months and no leaks.

EVO
09/26/2013, 06:41 PM
Ditto!! You have to stretch it a little but they fit!! Mines leaked like a siv until I went with the smaller hose and massaged it into those fittings!!

johnnyapollo
01/01/2014, 05:10 AM
Follow-up post:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=25052

-- John