PDA

View Full Version : Van Eyes ..... again

Sue777
11/09/2003, 02:46 PM
I got one! Last night I was in Pep Boy's and asked THREE different people who work there, and not one of them had ever seen nor heard of Van Eyes. Today my husband went there for something else and tried to find it. He did! It wasn't on display, it was on the floor between a display and the wall. What in hell made him look there I'll never know, but I'm glad he did! I wrote to Moncha and he kindly directed me to his site with the details on the crescent-shaped piece he uses, but NOW my question is...... why only use such a small piece? Don't I want to use the entire 8 x 10 piece for MORE visability? Or does it ruin the normal view? I'm sure once I get out there and start fooling with it, it will make more sense to me, but I've always gone with the "if a little is good, a lot is better", and we all know that's not always true. So just 1.5" tall piece really does the trick? Now I'm thinking.... how about little pieces on either side of the hump, too? Overkill? I have this whole sheet, I'll be sticking them everywhere! LOL

Moncha
11/09/2003, 03:15 PM
For me, I'm 6'3" so I sit pretty high in the saddle and really have no problems seeing over the hump and farther down the road. I use the crescent shaped piece to see DIRECTLY behind me. I have it cut so that when I see a license plate in the lens I'm 3 feet from the plate which is usually mounted on the bumper. That's all. The last picture on my site that explains the VanEyes shows pretty much how much I see through the lens. I just didn't want this big rectangle blocking the rest of my view out the back. Truth be known, I'm so used to driving the little beast that I hardly use it but, it's there just in case.

http://www.moncha.com/images/Albums/VanEyes/VanEyes%20Example06.jpg

Raque Thomas
11/09/2003, 03:49 PM
I too saw Moncha's cut out and thought that it was a bit small for me. I took an 8 1/2" X 11" piece of paper, turned it on it's side and layed it on the outside of the back window. Then I used my finger to rub it against the bottom of the glass, which made a crease and a template to use for cutting my Van Eyes. I cut it down several times until I got it to the height that seemed right (about 5" for me). But if you use this method, you can cut it, stick it to the inside of the window, trim it again, etc - until you get it how you want it - worked for me!

I went to the gas station and nearly backed into a car (you've heard the "c" hair analogy? - I SAW IT!) I went straight to Pep Boys and bought the Van Eyes - what a difference! Great mod!

ron
11/09/2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Raque Thomas
I took an 8 1/2" X 11" piece of paper, turned it on it's side and layed it on the outside of the back window. Then I used my finger to rub it against the bottom of the glass, which made a crease and a template to use for cutting my Van Eyes.

I used the same 8.5x11 sized but instead used the plastic tire cover edge as the template. It matches the same curved radius found on the window. Simply remove the spare cover, visualized where the bottom curve of the window is located and place equadistant (from lt. to rt.) centered on the Van-eyes and trace the edge with a marker pen. And Voila! You'll have the perfect cut out curved edge that will match the bottom of the window on your bottom edge of the Van-eyes. What I also did was trimmed the lt and rt 2 bottom corners into a rounded corner to match the upper rounded corners. Hope this helps.

Sue777
11/09/2003, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys, awesome suggestions! I'm a perfectionist with OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) so this will really help me to get it PERFECT. I'm dying to go out and start playing with it right now, but I figured I'd hold off a day or two. Everyone at work has been hearing me talk about this vehicle for weeks and tomorrow will be the first time I get to bring it there - I'm sure I'll have dozens of people checking it out, and I'd rather leave the Van Eyes off for the initial viewing. I know there would be at least one jerk in the crowd that would say "if you KNEW it had blindspots and poor visibility out the back, why did you buy it!?!?!" Some people just don't get it. Let them keep driving their tried and true, run of the mill, looks-the-same-as-every-other-vehicle vehicle.... I'l take the minor inconveniences that go with being a VX lover!
Sue
Just hope that not more than one person insists on a ride at a time. I don't want to hear any crap about the accessibility to the back seat!

nyc #1 ironman
11/09/2003, 05:28 PM
You guys, I have the 8x10 full piece on the back of mine and get a million compliments on itlike "wow, what is that". Its so funny cause the full size piece actually makes it look more like a spaceship. lol...

MZ-N10
11/09/2003, 06:07 PM
I asked around for it at Kragen and stuff and poeple told me it was banned from California....anyone know if this is true?
________
PAXIL ATTORNEY (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

Navigator
11/09/2003, 07:31 PM
I mounted the full sheet in the middle of my back window... gives me a clear view down to the ground and eliminates blind spots not covered by the standard mirrors.

Jolly Roger VX'er
11/10/2003, 05:21 PM
I used the 8X10 minus a small crescent piece in the shape of the spare tire "hump" cut off from the bottom to allow the Van Eyes to sit directly on top the spare tire hump. Please see my photo from my gallery as you can spot the lens below the Jolly Roger Pirate Flag!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2062&papass=&sort=4