PDA

View Full Version : Is this an OEM windshield?

Mark C
08/30/2013, 03:39 PM
I purchased my VX a few months back with a cracked windshield, and finally got around to replacing it. I called all the local shops, and went with the cheepest quote. The next day, the installer put it in, and told me that it was an original factory glass that had been in their warehouse for years, and was the only one. It had a sticker that said made in Mexico in February 2000. The price was $190+tax, and it looks perfect. So, did I really find an original windshield? Here's a shot of the passenger side corner:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/Windshield.jpg

Triathlete
08/30/2013, 05:21 PM
It's a definate possibility! :D

PS i would go check mine but it has been replaced a couple of times and probably isn't oem.

VX KAT
08/30/2013, 08:06 PM
I've had mine replaced twice due to chips, but the second one did NOT have the blue tint along the top. Shop said it was an OEM "Nippon" (I think that's the brand he said) and the originals didn't have the blue tint.
Don't know if that's true or not.
Does yours have the tint?

Mark C
08/30/2013, 10:32 PM
The new one does have the tint. I had been told that the cracked one I had was not original, so I don't know what they looked like. I know it doesn't make a big difference either way, I'm just courious - and happy that I got a new windshield for a good price. :D

ALC1717
08/31/2013, 08:21 AM
Safelite Auto Glass has The VX Windshield With The Tint At The Top Which I Prefer! I Like It Better Than My OEM Original & Much Cheaper.

dietz99vcross
08/31/2013, 05:57 PM
When I had the original replaced, they installed one with the tint, which I normally like, but with my height in the vehicross the break from tint to no tint was right in my line of sight. Since I had not requested the tint the insurance company had the installer remove it and install a non-tinted version at no cost. Not sure of the differences as far as manufacturer but hey I got what I needed.

blacksambo
08/31/2013, 08:35 PM
My '99 says Lamisafe made by Asahi. No tint and as far I know it's original.

johnnyapollo
09/01/2013, 06:55 AM
Mine is original and similar to blacksambo's...

-- John

tomdietrying
09/01/2013, 10:22 AM
I am the third owner of my VX. I've had it for over 10 years, and I think the windshield is original. Just like sambo and johnny mine says Lamisafe made by Asahi.
Peace.
Tom

blacksambo
09/01/2013, 09:31 PM
Sounds right.

Mark C
09/03/2013, 09:50 AM
So I guess it's just old, not OEM. Oh well, thanks for the replies!