PDA

View Full Version : Price Check Isle 1

PontiacPureBred
08/28/2013, 07:00 AM
So I looked at another local VX last night. Ran nice, no rust and suspension and drive components seemed in fine working order. (a first!)

Had some issues and I am not sure what I'd be looking at cost wise to deal with them.

No roof rack (I am fine with aftermarket) but no clue of cost OEM or aftermarket.

It had no skid plates at all - none of them? Cost to replace?

The front windshield was broken, needs to be replaced. Cost?

Arm rest was BAD - seats and steering wheel fine though - cost to re-cover?

The rest was little stuff. But I was wondering about all that.

Any help appreciated.
:D

JAMAS
08/28/2013, 07:05 AM
My two pennies...

So I looked at another local VX last night. Ran nice, no rust and suspension and drive components seemed in fine working order. (a first!)

Had some issues and I am not sure what I'd be looking at cost wise to deal with them.

No roof rack (I am fine with aftermarket) but no clue of cost OEM or aftermarket. (~$300 used oem -- talk to VX Kat)

It had no skid plates at all - none of them? Cost to replace?(Do you mean the decorative ones, or the functional metal ones? The decorative ones are aftermarket, but the small metal undercarriage ones are stock)

The front windshield was broken, needs to be replaced. Cost?(From what I know, those are hard to find a replacement for sometimes. Some have had success, others not so much. Junk yards often have then in good condition)

Arm rest was BAD - seats and steering wheel fine though - cost to re-cover?(arm rests are available for sale on occasion, keep your eye out, but dont let that stop you from buying)

The rest was little stuff. But I was wondering about all that.

Any help appreciated.

Marlin
08/28/2013, 07:10 AM
IIRC, the VX did not come with any significant skid plates. Just the little tiny one at the center cross member, that is hardly a skid plate, more of a deflector. There is the one that is in the very front, which is also fairly flimsy.
All the other skid plates that you commonly see, prop shaft/transfer case/tranny come off of Troopers and can be found at any junk yard practically free. They are direct bolt on.

PontiacPureBred
08/28/2013, 07:23 AM
Yea I meant the ones on the under carriage. Not the plastic ones on the bumpers.

The other two I looked at had one up under the nose (oil pan area?) one by the tranny and then another one along the drive line, those both had trooper parts in the same places?

I was worried about the windshield - he was all like oh they are like $175 ... I was thinking "dude you're crazy" ....

Could a glass shop (like safelite or the equivalent) make one or is my only option to find a donor?

WormGod
08/28/2013, 07:29 AM
Had my VX windshield replaced years ago. Broken due to road construction debris on a highway. Insurance covered 100%. Sent Safelite out, cost $870. Again, not a penny from me. Pretty outrageous!

tom4bren
08/28/2013, 07:32 AM
I had my windshield replaced earlier this year. Less than $250 out the door.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=283312&postcount=19

tom4bren
08/28/2013, 07:37 AM
Arm rest was BAD - seats and steering wheel fine though - cost to re-cover?

Bad armrest ... bad armrest ... go sit in the corner.:)

etlsport can prolly give you some tips on the armrest. I just got his lastest one. IIRC $50 for him ... & I'll donate the core for him to get'r done. He had a thread on it about 2 years ago (you should be able to find it with the search function or just find all threads started by him).

PontiacPureBred
08/28/2013, 08:00 AM

Hey thanks guys. I feel a little better now. (I don't have an ASAP Auto glass anywhere around here - but I am sure I can work that out.)

If I can get him in the price range I need, this just might work.

evillecutter
08/28/2013, 09:54 AM
i have a proton for sale - 115k miles $7500 - it has some of the usual vx issues but runs and drives great

johnnyapollo
08/29/2013, 04:40 AM
Paid $45 to have my armrest recovered in leather.
http://vehicross.blogspot.com/2011/01/restoring-center-console-arm-rest.html

-- John

WormGod
08/29/2013, 07:09 AM
Had my VX windshield replaced years ago. Broken due to road construction debris on a highway. Insurance covered 100%. Sent Safelite out, cost $870. Again, not a penny from me. Pretty outrageous!

Disregard. That was my old WRX. Getting old.... losing track of what I had done and on what. :confused:

nfpgasmask
08/30/2013, 09:48 AM
The VX has skid plates, as stated above, 3 of them.

If those are missing, personally, I would want to know WHY. That would indicate either underbelly hits that caused the skid plates some ugly damage, so they were removed, or underbody work on the engine or trans, and the skid plates were never replaced, or maybe someone took them off for some other reason. Either way, that's a little questionable. That said, you should be able to source some from car-part.com I would think, or have some fabbed.

Bart

PontiacPureBred
08/30/2013, 11:21 AM
The VX has skid plates, as stated above, 3 of them.

If those are missing, personally, I would want to know WHY. That would indicate either underbelly hits that caused the skid plates some ugly damage, so they were removed, or underbody work on the engine or trans, and the skid plates were never replaced, or maybe someone took them off for some other reason. Either way, that's a little questionable. That said, you should be able to source some from car-part.com I would think, or have some fabbed.

Bart

I thought it was odd too. Especially since it was so clean with regard to rust on the underbelly - still has the front bumper bar (no rust there either). (Interior was well taken care of too) It's an odd little truck really, the broken window makes me wonder if it was ruffed up but yet otherwise it seems loved and cared for and clean. A few spots were obviously touched up paint wise but cladding is all there all nice and so are the cladding screws. Funny.

MSHardeman
08/30/2013, 12:25 PM
Not to contradict Bart (nfp), but from what I remember the VX did NOT come with underbelly skid plates other than the dinky little one that Marlin talked about. The Troopers DID come with three skid plates on them that perfectly fit under the VX (holes are already drilled in the frame and cross members). Many of us have gone to a pick-n-pull yard to get the Trooper skid plates (like Marlin said). I can't remember what year Troopers so hopefully someone will chime in on that.