PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

PontiacPureBred
08/23/2013, 08:14 AM
So as a potentially new VX'r (still looking) I have been really digging in to some of the older threads. Not just the tech and mods but just the general chatter. (It is after all the BEST way to get to know the insanity level of the group in general) And trust me on this - this is a wonderfully eccentric group that I am really beginning to grow fond of. I have however started to notice a trend, one I unfortunately share.

How many spouses are opposed to your VX?

I ask because my wife thinks they are ...
1. UGLY
2. Frivolous
3. Too Old (100K miles or more and you want one? Are you kidding me?)
4. Unreliable
5. Impractical

How many members have heard this prior to or after purchasing a VX?

MSHardeman
08/23/2013, 08:33 AM
I've heard just about everything, good and bad, from everyone from significant others to regular people on the street. I actually lost a girlfriend over the attention that I lavished on Vicki (my VX) and I didn't realize it until we spoke a year or more after we broke up. It's actually kind of a funny story

I am very particular about Vicki and I take very good care of her, usually washing her every other weekend, or so, in the summer. Always out in the garage wrenching on her to keep her in top shape. At the time, Vicki didn't have any stickers on her. After the girlfriend and I broke up I ended up putting a Moab ZuZoo sticker on Vicki and really didn't think anything of it. A few months later the Ex and I were at a common friends party when she noticed the sticker on Vicki's rear window.

While everyone was making small talk and just chit-chatting the Ex says:

"OH, I see baby has a sticker on her."

"Baby" was dripping with sarcasm, and she meant it as an insult, but that's what I call Vicki sometimes anyway. One of our friends noticed it the sarcasm (who couldn't really?). He said to the Ex:

"Wow, are you a little jealous?" To which she replied, while glaring at me:

"YES!"

Oops. It's all worked out for the better anyway, because my current girlfriend LOVES the VX. She's been to Moab with me and has met some of the family and STILL wants to hang out with me. This one's a keeper for sure! The only thing that I need to be careful of is that her sister's name is Vicki so there are some furrowed brows when I talk about going out to "give Vicki a bath" or say things like "I can't wait to get under Vicki's hood this weekend."

I think once your wife is in the VX and notices how many people are turning to look at it she'll enjoy the attention. Hang in there. :thumbup:

Scott Harness
08/23/2013, 09:22 AM
Hey Mark,missed you and everybody at Moab this year!
Welcome Pontiac...insanity follows:yeso:

tom4bren
08/23/2013, 09:27 AM
My wife likes ours. In fact I justified the purchase by telling her that I was buying it for her (she even picked out the plates 'BZBZZZ' cause Protons look like bees). I'm not sure she was ever truely convinced that we bought it for her though:)

Recently however, the message may have gotten through. She wants me to put a brush guard on it. I told her that I didn't like brush guards on the VX ... she said since it's hers, that I hafta:_brickwal

evillecutter
08/23/2013, 09:43 AM
girlfriend loves it - wife hates it :bwgy: i keed i keed - they both love it!

PontiacPureBred
08/23/2013, 10:51 AM
girlfriend loves it - wife hates it :bwgy: i keed i keed - they both love it!

See eccentric. I like that in a forum. :D

Well I should preface this by saying, I was married once before, she told me to grow up get realistic and sell my GTO (a 1972 in real fine shape) ... I sold it and married her but if I'd have been smarter I'd have known then it was doomed to failure.

My wife (beautiful, kind, witty, adorable - I could go on) told me I should go BUY a GTO (while I still could) when the announcement came down a few years ago about them shutting Pontiac down. I did ...I also asked her to marry me later that year - sometimes you know right? :D

So she's awesome, loves to camp, and boat, and look at old hot rods, everything a guy could want. So I am sure she'll come around on it. She'd never like STOP me from getting one, I just like it when she buys in.

Keep the stories coming!

evillecutter
08/23/2013, 12:34 PM
sold my 68 firebird with a little over 46k miles on it that i had since i was 15 about a year and a half ago - my first car - everything was original on it - bought the vx with the leftover $$ after paying off bills and getting things the family needed - i miss that car everyday but i always wanted a gto - had a chance to buy a white 70 hardtop once for about 1/4 of what it would be worth now but i let is slip through my fingers - on a different note not many people understand how powerful the newer gtos are - def a sleeper by the looks of them - they were over 400hp stock if i remember correctly?

PontiacPureBred
08/23/2013, 02:56 PM
sold my 68 firebird with a little over 46k miles on it that i had since i was 15 about a year and a half ago - my first car - everything was original on it - bought the vx with the leftover $$ after paying off bills and getting things the family needed - i miss that car everyday but i always wanted a gto - had a chance to buy a white 70 hardtop once for about 1/4 of what it would be worth now but i let is slip through my fingers - on a different note not many people understand how powerful the newer gtos are - def a sleeper by the looks of them - they were over 400hp stock if i remember correctly?

I have owned several over the years, a green 68, white 69 and a banana yellow 72. (Also had a 69 Custom S - ever heard of one? it was gonna be my Judge tribute - never happened) My 2005 is midnight blue metallic and puts down every bit of 400HP and handles like a BMW.

Yea I love me some Pontiac muscle. BUT I gotta get one of these for weekend camping in the boonies!!!

RickOKC
08/23/2013, 07:25 PM
Hi PPB,

Personally, I'm un-spouseified, but here's my fifty cents anyway…

"Eccentric group"?!?!?!?
HOW RUDE!!! Just kidding - ok, you nailed that one! :laughing::rotate::laughing:

1. UGLY
People love 'em, people hate 'em. What do YOU like? Maybe your hunny bunny has interests that you don't fully appreciate. Compromise time?

2. Frivolous
Yes it is, just like ANY vehicle that isn't a "plain vanilla box" that is purely a means to get from Point A to Point B. My VX is justified as a part of my "entertainment budget." However, after the first time I took it off road, it became a treasured part of my "fun budget."

That was one of my major concerns. Even after reading posts by an owner who had 200k on the clock, I vowed I wouldn't buy one with more than 60k. I hadn't owned a vehicle over 75k since I was a youngster. I wound up buying one at 120k and haven't been faced with any repairs that made me regret my purchase. Your mileage may vary.

4. Unreliable
See #3. Nope, not for me. I now have 140k on the clock. During the first 120 it was probably never taken "off pavement" but since then I took it to Moab twice. Even with the stress of that harsh environment when it wasn't at 100%, it never let me down. Your mileage may vary.

5. Impractical
Well… remove the rear seat (takes about 10 minutes) and it can actually, practically haul a fair amount of stuff. True, if you leave it in, unless your 3rd + passengers are youthfully limber, they may not be able to get back there at all. But talk about practicality - ANY time you have a 2-door with a tight rear seat EVERYBODY wants to take their 4-door vehicle instead. Talk about practical - I guarantee you will save gas! ;Dy;

ABDragonVX
08/24/2013, 07:16 PM
1. Ugly
2. Frivolous
4. Unreliable
5. Impractical

1- girlfriend hates it haha that's her problem. Although when I first saw it online I didn't like it, since then it's grown on me.
2- get a roof rack and take it camping. This point is gone :)
3- I have a hard time pegging old when it comes to vehicles. They've all seen different lives and end up in different places. I got mine with 58,000miles and have put 20,000 on in the last 8 months.I've seen newer vehicles that havent been cared for and need thousands in repairs. Just make sure you inspect it thoroughly the vx community has a nice checklist that might catch things you may miss if you don't have much vx experience.
4- my only issue was a couple o2 sensors and wearing out my tires on the highway :( been pretty good to me....watch the oil level btw might need a couple top ups, since switching to rotella I top up once between oil changes.
5- if you have a family or are expecting to drive more people get a 4 door, egress into the backseat is hard but it's roomy back there. Not bad for a longer trip. Could use some more trunk space but I just use the back seats to fill the void.

This is by far the best forum I've ever joined and I love the eccentric people. Goodluck in the hunt/vehicle search.

44ficus44
08/25/2013, 12:32 AM
yup my girl said the same and its true but my vx is more of a toy than a car. sooo I told her.. jog onnnnn hihi

samneil2000
08/25/2013, 06:08 PM
My wife had reservations when I told her I wanted one but I went through with it anyways. After a couple years I started thinking about selling it and she told me I couldn't... she said she had never seen another vehicle that people would follow home just to ask about, and yes, that happened.
If your significant other is in to motor vehicles, give her a couple weeks riding in the vx. Once she gets a taste of other people's reactions, she'll be hooked!

PontiacPureBred
08/26/2013, 06:42 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

We actually had a couple to look at here locally over the weekend (there's like 4 on Craigslist in the KC area!) And after seeing one in person she is less averse to it. Just says it looks kinda like a bug (not a VW an actual insect) from the front. :D

And her first comment was WOW that's high - we saw a lifted one first.

So I think I am in the clear, she will warm up to it for sure. Now I just need to find one worth buying. Rust is the big concern here in the Midwest.

WormGod
08/26/2013, 07:16 AM
My g/f isn't against it at all. Just hates that it is "too bouncy" (she doesnt drive it, just gets to sit in the passenger seat with her head out the window as i drive). :p

I go through moods every now and then where I am about to sell it, and she ends up talking me down. She knows I love it and that I would be lost without it. She did sort of agree with me at one point a while back when I considered selling it when we were about to move. Thought it would be a good idea to free up some money and personal belongings. But, didn't happen.

I seem to think she hates the sin out of it and wishes it would just disappear one day, but so far, she has been a pretty good liar for my sake. ;)

JMNY
09/04/2013, 07:15 PM
I followed one for miles about 11 years ago. I saw it drive past me and I never saw one before. I almost bought the last 10 new ones in the USA that were at one dealership. Too much cash back then. Always told my wife I would buy one one day. She always told me I was crazy. Came close a few times over the years and then finally found one from a member here that owned it for 8 years. It was meant to be because my Uncle has a house that is 5 hours away in New Hampshire. We go once or twice a year. The member lived 20 minutes away from him. Went on vacation and eventually drove back with my Killer Bee.

My wife thinks I am crazy. It sits in my garage looking beautiful. My main daily drivers sit outside all year. My wife hates that. I open my door and look at it all the time. Everyone in my family and extended family call my VX "Bee" ( short for Killer Bee). Are you driving Bee? James, Bee looks great! They do that with straight faces. :). I come home from work and walk past my VX and say hello to my bee. Stare at it often.

My wife hates the way it drives. Very bumpy. Back seat access is tough. I am 6'3.

But it is a rare and enjoyable vehicle. People ask me about it all the time. Gas attendants especially (cant pump your own gas in NJ). No matter where you go people look at it and wonder what it is. I cant explain it. It is addictive. Everyone on this site is great, supportive and helpful. I had two left hands and I am now learning and tackling projects on my VX and love it.

**** By the way my first car a 1978 black on black Trans Am. It had the 403 Olds engine with T Tops. It was my dream car growing up.

Shop hard. Be careful. And when you find the right one.....buy it! You will love it. Good luck.

sopo
09/13/2013, 05:40 PM
When hubby showed me them online in '04, I thought it was horrible. Then we went to Memphis to check it out.... he let me drive the Ironman back .... I was in love. lol

And the 'bouncy' was what won me over. Of course that's what's killing me at the minute on this one but backs will heal and the fun will commence.

I do worry about the high miles on my ebony but I figure with the difference in what I'd pay for a new 'dull' ride, I can put into this to fix it up as I go.

fotomaker
09/14/2013, 04:42 AM
My older brother had a divorced friend who owned a business, a plane, a corvette and a motorcycle. He met a woman and they fell head over heels in lust. Six moths after their marriage she crawled up his butt with demands that he sell off his toys.

He divorced her and became my new hero!