PDA

View Full Version : Not just an introduction

PontiacPureBred
08/21/2013, 08:33 AM
So I do not yet have a VX, but a few are for sale locally. (A first!) I have been interested in them for a couple of years now but the timing has never been right to do anything. As you might assume from my name I am a Pontiac guy by nature, I've owned and restored a couple of classic GTO's and currently own a 2005 GTO. So I am not afraid of wrenching on new or old vehicles. I want to get a VX for a couple reasons, firstly I love to camp and boat and I'd like something rugged to do some back woods camping. Second, winters in KC STINK in a rear wheel drive car with 400HP. ;) Lastly they are so freaking cool. Great idea and execution to have a performance utility vehicle.

Now here's the questions...

I found the questionnaire on the for sale section, so I am going with that with each one I look at, but I wonder. Are these still a worthy investment at this point? How is the overall construction of the chassis and such? I ask because I have seen a garage kept 1988 Nissan 4X4 frame taco from rusting out. Are these built solid where it counts?

With the new generation GTO's there's a list of "known issues" that one looks for before purchase, is there anything I really need to look out for?

Everything seems to be priced in the 6-8K range at this point which is fine I suppose but do I need to look at having an extra 3 or 4 grand for bringing it as close as possible to 100% tip top shape?

What's the expected life expectancy of the drive train? I have seen several with replaced engines and transmissions, is that an expected issue in the first 100-150K?

And then ... you know, I see you guys love these and are passionate about them but give me a real world unbiased opinion of the VehiCROSS ... will it make an old Pontiac guy happy?

Thanks all!
S

Scott Larson
08/21/2013, 09:36 AM
Well PPB I have been a Ford Fanatic for years, about 40 or so, and I can say unequivocally that I love my VX's! Yup, both of 'em, and the two of them together cost less than eight grand. The best money I have ever spent. They have become sort of a passion, yes they need attention and proper care but they are both a joy to work on. The secret to a long love affair with your VX is to find one that has been well cared for and is rust free!! I can fix anything mechanical but I hate rust. Living in Northern Minnesota, rust is a constant issue. Both of my VX's came from salt-free environments and niether will see a Minnesota winter unless it's just to play in the snow out in the woods or in my fields. As to being a worthy investment? You decide. What are you looking for? If it's resale value, at this time, probably not. Although prices have leveled off, it may be some time before people catch on as to their uniqueness in automotive history and they become truely sought-after. If you are looking for something extremely capable on or off-road and that turns heads, then yes, it is a great investment...given the right one! Again, condition and proper maintenance is everything. I got lucky and found two well cared for examples, both high mileage vehicles, hence the low prices, but with no rust or mechanical issues. Many here have not been so lucky, so be very picky; it's your money! As to your question of known issues, engine oil consumption is numero uno. Again, proper care from the previous owner/owners is key to a long-lived VX. The problem of plugged oil drainback holes in the pistons has been well-documented on this forum. It's kind of a luck-of-the-draw thing that can be difficult to detect at first. Time usually tells the story as to whether or not you've got a good one. If the previous owners records show a good history of regular oil changes with a quality oil (preferably synthetic) all should be good but unfortunately, that's still no guarantee. As to the drivetrain life expectancy, the sky's the limit, given proper maintenance. There are members here with well over 200,000 miles, it's all up to the owner, as it is with most vehicles. I see no reason why these can't be driven past a half million miles with proper care... Bottom line is, you've already settled on a VX as a truck you want to have, and yes, it is a truck, a very capable truck. Find the right one for you and you'll be hooked, of that I have no doubt! Best of luck and welcome to the addiction, good to have you aboard...Some might say that misery loves company! :_beer: :_steering

VX KAT
08/21/2013, 11:18 AM
There's a very knowledgable VXer in Overland Park, maybe contact him and go see his, talk shop etc.
89vette (Gregg)

PontiacPureBred
08/21/2013, 12:38 PM
Well PPB I have been a Ford Fanatic for years, about 40 or so, and I can say unequivocally that I love my VX's! Yup, both of 'em, and the two of them together cost less than eight grand. The best money I have ever spent. They have become sort of a passion, yes they need attention and proper care but they are both a joy to work on. The secret to a long love affair with your VX is to find one that has been well cared for and is rust free!! I can fix anything mechanical but I hate rust. Living in Northern Minnesota, rust is a constant issue. Both of my VX's came from salt-free environments and niether will see a Minnesota winter unless it's just to play in the snow out in the woods or in my fields. As to being a worthy investment? You decide. What are you looking for? If it's resale value, at this time, probably not. Although prices have leveled off, it may be some time before people catch on as to their uniqueness in automotive history and they become truely sought-after. If you are looking for something extremely capable on or off-road and that turns heads, then yes, it is a great investment...given the right one! Again, condition and proper maintenance is everything. I got lucky and found two well cared for examples, both high mileage vehicles, hence the low prices, but with no rust or mechanical issues. Many here have not been so lucky, so be very picky; it's your money! As to your question of known issues, engine oil consumption is numero uno. Again, proper care from the previous owner/owners is key to a long-lived VX. The problem of plugged oil drainback holes in the pistons has been well-documented on this forum. It's kind of a luck-of-the-draw thing that can be difficult to detect at first. Time usually tells the story as to whether or not you've got a good one. If the previous owners records show a good history of regular oil changes with a quality oil (preferably synthetic) all should be good but unfortunately, that's still no guarantee. As to the drivetrain life expectancy, the sky's the limit, given proper maintenance. There are members here with well over 200,000 miles, it's all up to the owner, as it is with most vehicles. I see no reason why these can't be driven past a half million miles with proper care... Bottom line is, you've already settled on a VX as a truck you want to have, and yes, it is a truck, a very capable truck. Find the right one for you and you'll be hooked, of that I have no doubt! Best of luck and welcome to the addiction, good to have you aboard...Some might say that misery loves company! :_beer: :_steering

There's a very knowledgable VXer in Overland Park, maybe contact him and go see his, talk shop etc.
89vette (Gregg)

Thanks for the welcome! And that's really good news. I have found that most vehicles with proper care can last a lifetime, and I guess it's just the limited nature of this truck that I was worried about the drivetrain - being that I had looked at a few and seen 2 "new" replaced engines and a couple with bad trannies. Anyway, not looking for a return on my investment other than years of happy 4 wheeling - pulling a small trailer and having fun.

I am pleased there is a local fanatic. I will have to look him up - thanks for the heads up. :happyface