PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 Trip to Tin Cup Near Gunnison CO

CatFish
08/14/2013, 09:36 PM
We are going up to Tin Cup (Taylor Park Reservoir on Matchless Mountain) and check out some cool 4x4 trails on Sunday. Lots of off road trails and forest service roads to check out up there. Gunnison is having there big car show and festival this Friday through Sunday so we are taking one sports car and the VX so we can do both fun things.

So the date is 8/18/13 and we plan to go up around 8-9am from Gunnison. If anyone is interested and up that way email me and we can do some trails together.

Here is a map of the general area http://goo.gl/maps/Pe6aN

I have forest service maps for trails you cannot see at all or very well on Google Maps.

bartmanS4
08/15/2013, 10:46 AM
I'd love to join you but leaving Denver by 4:30 am doesn't sound very enticing. I am most certainly not a morning person.

subject47
08/15/2013, 11:24 AM
Coffee is your friend

CatFish
08/15/2013, 11:00 PM
We are staying the weekend in Gunnison so we will already be there, you can come up on Saturday and stay the night and then you will be ready to go in the morning. If you do decide to come up email me. I will have my phone so send me you number and I will let you know where we are.

We have a whole day planned to check out the trails and coo, old mining towns and ruins. They have a big car show Saturday and I am going to put the VX in it to see what kind of reaction I get. I am going to bet most have never seen one so it should be fun, and then Sunday we hit the trails. :)

MSHardeman
08/16/2013, 09:10 AM
Man, wish you would have said something earlier. I would love to hit up Tin Cup. I've been to St. Elmo, the little ghost town that Tin Cup starts/ends in a few years ago. Very cool little town, and I looked at Tin Cup, but I had just bought the VX so I was in no shape to attempt it.

Should be fun. Have a great time.:thumbup:

VX KAT
08/16/2013, 10:31 AM
Man, wish you would have said something earlier. I would love to hit up Tin Cup. I've been to St. Elmo, the little ghost town that Tin Cup starts/ends in a few years ago. Very cool little town, and I looked at Tin Cup, but I had just bought the VX so I was in no shape to attempt it.

HAVE FUN!
oh yeah, Dave and I've been there too Mark, drove all around there, including Tin Cup. Probably been 8+ years, back when we had the D90 beast.

This is above the tree line somewhere "around" there.
I know the ghost town you're talking about too.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/COLORADO-1.jpg

CatFish
08/16/2013, 05:31 PM

Sorry it was a last minute trip. I think we should plan a trip to Ouray that is on my VX bucket list.

tjh
08/16/2013, 09:16 PM
Ouray ! I just peed myself... .

VX KAT
08/16/2013, 09:19 PM
Ouray ! I just peed myself... .

good thing I know you well enough to - - ->

AGREE WITH YOU! :clap:

That'd be a great place to have a meet up!

CatFish
08/16/2013, 09:23 PM
So I take it you like Ouray! Have you been to Ouray Colorado? It is one of the most beautiful places on earth and the trails are cool too.

VX KAT
08/16/2013, 09:25 PM
I've been to Ouray, love it.

CatFish
08/16/2013, 10:03 PM
Sounds like we should plan Ouray trip for next summer?

tjh
08/17/2013, 06:57 PM
I had to pry myself away from there. I'm am so down for a summer trip to Ouray.

CatFish
08/17/2013, 09:59 PM
We should start planning for a Ouray trip next summer. We should have plenty of time to plan a trip 11 months from now. We do want to go in July or early August so it will be nice and not too late so we do not have a change of a big snow storm. VXs are great in the snow and fun to 4 wheel in but I'm that area both might not be all that great I'm that area. Maybe we should start a new thread for this trip.

VX KAT
08/17/2013, 10:13 PM
We should start planning for a Ouray trip next summer. We should have plenty of time to plan a trip 11 months from now. We do want to go in July or early August so it will be nice and not too late so we do not have a change of a big snow storm. VXs are great in the snow and fun to 4 wheel in but I'm that area both might not be all that great I'm that area. Maybe we should start a new thread for this trip.

don't forget the FJ Summit is in Ouray in Summer - - want to avoid those dates.

CatFish
08/17/2013, 10:18 PM
Thanks Kat. I have planned some events for my car club not not a 4x4 trip. I am going count on all of you to plan this with me you all have more experience planning these types off trips. That being said who wants to help plan this trip?