PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Blade Size and Wiper Arm Lengths

GPA
08/12/2013, 01:35 PM
When I got my VX a few weeks ago, I noticed the wipers looked "out of whack!"
They were not sitting parallel (or even close to parallel) to the ground, and I noticed they did not seem to cover the windshield as they should when they were in operation.
So....I did some research....checked for the proper sizes, which I found out were: 24" Driver Side and 17" Pass Side.
I measured, and sure enough, I had a 24" and 17" on the VX. Only problem was they were reversed! (17" was on Driver Side; 24" on Pass Side).
I went and bought a brand now 24 & 17 Rain X and put them on the proper sides.
Problem solved! Right?? Not so fast!
They still looked funny; couldn't get them parallel; and the Driver Side would now extend way above the top molding of the windshield when in operation.
WTH is going on here?? :_confused
So....thought about it a bit and decided to measure the WIPER ARMS to see if they were different lengths.
Sure enough!
Discovered the Shorter Arm needs to go on the Driver Side with the Longer Blade.
The Longer Arm should go on the Pass Side with the Shorter Blade.
Mine were reversed, likely because someone took them off in the past and thought it didn't matter which arm went on which side.
Now....Problem Solved!:thumbup:
I wanted to share this because when I searched the forum, I discovered a lot of posts with different size blades, ill-fitting blades, poor coverage, etc.
So....if your wipers aren't covering like they should, be sure to check that you have the Shorter Arm and Longer Blade on the Driver Side, and the Longer Arm and Shorter Blade on the Pass Side!
Mine are working great and covering like they should now!
GPA

KRemo
08/12/2013, 05:40 PM
Yeah I have 18" on passenger side and 21" on the driver side.

tom4bren
08/13/2013, 05:41 AM
Good find. When my windshield was replaced recently I should have had him index my PS arm down slightly but I forgot. It sits a few degrees higher than the DS when in rest position. It's an easy fix ... I just forget whenever I'm working on the VX ... & then remember again next time I'm driving it:)

BTW, not a big fan of RainX blades. How do you like them?

ipd
09/22/2015, 10:32 PM
Good info. I appear to have a longer blade on the right side currently, and it's throwing me for a loop. I wanted to ask if anyone has tried putting TWO of the same arm on? Does this work?