PDA

View Full Version : Attention California VX's

frankd14321
08/05/2013, 01:24 PM
Just informed from a smog station who is also a cert station where I am... If you are going in for a SMOG (probably just a STAR SMOG) you will NEED to have locking front hub's.. California updated their database to show that we are a 4WD car but can disengage the front... so the rules require them to use a rear wheel dyno on our car... Just letting everyone know.. This is new just THIS YEAR!

Hope this helps everyone!

UPDATE:

So if you have the problem stated above, you must take your car to a State Ref Station (normally at a local college) From there they will take a long hard look at your car to determine that YES INDEED you cannot disable the TOD system. Than they will sniffer your car and when/if it passes you are in the clear.. They do not charge for smogging, but charge 9 dollars for the cert.

Our local ref said he would tell the state that their information about the car was wrong but he said that smog shops don't update their manual's often so we will probably have to go to the ref from now on to get the car smogged.. I guess it's ok, it ends up saving 50+ dollars in my area..

subject47
08/05/2013, 01:29 PM
Well since the VX didnt have locking hubs in the front OEM the state needs to fix thier error. Ca DMV needs to be informed of the mistake/ignorance.

frankd14321
08/05/2013, 01:39 PM
I can inform them, but I doubt it will do a damn bit of good.. This is just information that I just found out today while trying to pass my car with a STAR SMOG requirement... not sure if they care for a normal smog.

tom4bren
08/05/2013, 01:44 PM
At the very least, inform them when you take it in that your vehicle is full time 4WD from the factory and that they should not put it on any machine that leaves the front wheels on pavement whilst the rear ones are spinning.

frankd14321
08/05/2013, 01:48 PM
I informed the tech... he is a inspector for the state as well.. I will see if he can let them know as well.... He's a personal friend.

tom4bren
08/05/2013, 02:03 PM
yer right in that CA won't change the rules based on a single vehicle ... but we've had more than one member suffer damage because a tow company or garage didn't understand what full time 4WD meant.

frankd14321
08/05/2013, 02:14 PM
Yep...

longiotti
08/05/2013, 02:23 PM
I would think it is a TOD system it is all wheel drive

44ficus44
08/06/2013, 12:58 AM
I would think it is a TOD system it is all wheel drive

I second that. I mean it thinks for it self.. we cant just tell it not to engage it... unless your jo...

tom4bren
08/06/2013, 05:02 AM
I second that. I mean it thinks for it self.. we cant just tell it not to engage it... unless your jo...

Yah ... but there ain't nuthin that ain't stupid proof ... ask me how I know.:)

frankd14321
09/10/2013, 08:41 AM
Bumping this up, so people know what I had to do to get my VX to pass a Star Smog.

So if you have the problem stated above, you must take your car to a State Ref Station (normally at a local college) From there they will take a long hard look at your car to determine that YES INDEED you cannot disable the TOD system. Than they will sniffer your car and when/if it passes you are in the clear.. They do not charge for smogging, but charge 9 dollars for the cert.

Our local ref said he would tell the state that their information about the car was wrong but he said that smog shops don't update their manual's often so we will probably have to go to the ref from now on to get the car smogged.. I guess it's ok, it ends up saving 50+ dollars in my area..

Maddawg
09/10/2013, 01:01 PM
Bumping this up, so people know what I had to do to get my VX to pass a Star Smog.

Hey Frank, which college did you go to? Was it Victor Valley?

TheGanzman
09/10/2013, 05:21 PM
I got mine smogged last month with ZERO issues, questions, etc...:confused:

44ficus44
09/11/2013, 08:07 PM
and this is why I got my car plated in Arizona. :)

WormGod
09/12/2013, 07:12 AM
California.... driving laws as lame and under thought as Maryland gun laws. ;)

frankd14321
09/12/2013, 08:11 AM
Hey Frank, which college did you go to? Was it Victor Valley?

Yes

frankd14321
09/12/2013, 08:11 AM
I got mine smogged last month with ZERO issues, questions, etc...:confused:

Did you have a STAR smog?

Maddawg
09/12/2013, 09:30 AM
California.... driving laws as lame and under thought as Maryland gun laws. ;)

Its not only driving laws, its all others as well including gun laws. They're saving us from ourselves, lol.:bwgy:

TheGanzman
09/12/2013, 07:22 PM
Did you have a STAR smog?

No; wasn't required to do a STAR smog...

frankd14321
09/13/2013, 07:19 AM
No; wasn't required to do a STAR smog...

Hopefully you never have too.. It's a "random" selection draw, or they require it if the make/model of car is known to pollute more.

the STAR Smog requires smog techs to run the car exactly as the manual says while the ECU is hooked up to the computer and it records the run live so they cannot lie. (the Smog tech told me this)

TheGanzman
09/13/2013, 10:40 AM
Hopefully you never have too.. It's a "random" selection draw, or they require it if the make/model of car is known to pollute more.

the STAR Smog requires smog techs to run the car exactly as the manual says while the ECU is hooked up to the computer and it records the run live so they cannot lie. (the Smog tech told me this)

Ah - NOW I see what you were talking about! I've never HAD a STAR smog test, and I never WANT to have one AGAIN!:bwgy:

frankd14321
09/13/2013, 12:44 PM
Ah - NOW I see what you were talking about! I've never HAD a STAR smog test, and I never WANT to have one AGAIN!:bwgy:

The new STAR requirement was recently implemented so that is why you haven't had one in the past. So again, hopefully you never will but if you do be prepared for the above to happen.

Maddawg
09/13/2013, 01:08 PM
Did you try more than one smog station Frank? Sounds as if you encountered some bozos that don't understand the vehicle has full time 4WD. If the test is a dyno, why can't the front wheels be jacked if they cant be unlocked?

frankd14321
09/13/2013, 02:07 PM
As stated in the OP, I went to a smog shop that is also a state inspection shop and they do things by the book. And STAR smog's are serious business and very hard to fake because the shops are watched much more closley than a normal smog. They went off their manual which is given to them by the state, and the state manual says our cars has a TOD disengage switch from the factory.

Look i'm just giving my experience to give everyone a warning of what you might encounter and so you all aren't sitting there scratching your head saying "duh, what shall i do George" Because if a smog shop does not smog your car they will tell you NOTHING. I had to call the state, stay on hold for 2 hours, talk to 4 different people for them just to tell me to go to the Ref.. Than I had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment with the Ref and than had to wait 2 hours for him to do "his own research" on my car to find out that indeed the TOD cannot be disengaged.

As time goes on with this rare vehicle I see more things like this happening and this is why I created this post.

Espritmike
11/15/2013, 10:44 PM
Sorry for the late reply to this thread. ----- I own and operate a STAR smog station in Pomona Ca. I've been in business for 20 years and am, like you guys, a true car guy. I am familiar with VXs (now that I have one that I tore apart and put back together) and can test and pretest any vehicle just give me a call @ (909)596-5502 - Mike - Quality Auto Service ---cell (909)576-4337

Espritmike
11/15/2013, 10:47 PM
Just informed from a smog station who is also a cert station where I am... If you are going in for a SMOG (probably just a STAR SMOG) you will NEED to have locking front hub's.. California updated their database to show that we are a 4WD car but can disengage the front... so the rules require them to use a rear wheel dyno on our car... Just letting everyone know.. This is new just THIS YEAR!

Hope this helps everyone!

UPDATE:

BTW this is wrong. While testing you enter in as AWD/full time 4wd. There is an exemption for our cars. Like I said I smogged mine.

Espritmike
11/15/2013, 10:51 PM
Finally, starting next year, 2000 and newer vehicles will get a OBDII test only. No dyno or tailpipe test. Still in beta testing

Maddawg
11/16/2013, 08:50 AM
Finally, starting next year, 2000 and newer vehicles will get a OBDII test only. No dyno or tailpipe test. Still in beta testing

That's a good thing for us??:confused:

FlyingV77
11/16/2013, 05:43 PM
simple solution. Move to TX

Unless your a hippie

Beavertractors
11/20/2013, 10:46 PM
Tagged mine in Vermont..Smog test was done with a hand held OBD .. at a local shop..No computor hookup to DMV(like NY).. They write the results on a Paper Form....They are Very strict on the Saftey and rust/thru rules,which are much more important than Silly smog tests.....Also the Best gun laws(NONE) :smilewink

Lfen
05/16/2014, 04:42 PM
Hi, just had my VX STAR smogged today in Bakersfield, Ca. with no problems whatsoever. Took about 10 minutes. Just FYI

Maddawg
05/16/2014, 05:37 PM
Same here, did mine about 2 weeks ago. In n Out VX.

Starglider
05/17/2014, 04:32 AM
I just put mine in 2WD for the dyno.... yeah it's a JDM ;)

disasterlady
06/04/2014, 10:39 PM
ATTENTION California 1999 VX owners! If your Catalytic Converter goes and you FAIL the SMOG emissions… there are 1999 Vehicross ARB ( Calif Air Resources Board ) approved replacement parts listed in their database ( or at least they will be in the next few weeks from the date of 4-29-2014 ). I had this issue and had to go through the referee process, but we still were not listed in the database so they would never approve a replacement cat ( which actually were the same ones for the year 2000 ) and reputable shops refused to put the actual aftermarket replacements on for fear of getting fined $10k and license suspension! I finally got a hold of the Supervisor of the Parts Locator Service Referees and his name and contact info is listed below per his permission. There is also a forum listed that you can connect to if you have questions or issues regarding the referee program. Thank you John Baltazar!!! It took about 2 months to get through the whole process… but now we are legal.

Supervisor John Baltazar of the Calif Air Resources Board /Parts Locator Service Referees
Email: jbaltazar@foundationccc.org
John A. Baltazar
FCCC BAR Region 1 Manager/ Parts Locator Manager
1102 Q St. STE 3500
Sacramento, CA. 95811
(916)491-4461 Office

Regards,
Disasterlady

Maddawg
06/05/2014, 10:34 AM
I'm guessing that if it is making noise or 'whispering', that it would be a good idea to make the swap before the smog test?