PDA

View Full Version : Paint Restoration Advice?

vt_maverick
07/31/2013, 06:48 PM
So I recently picked up a 99 Subaru Legacy and the paint is in pretty rough shape. Thankfully the clearcoat isn't peeling, but it has a lot of scratches, oxidation, and I'm sure sun fading that I'd like to fix. Repainting is not an option as this is a cheap college/commuter car for my sister-in-law, so I'm looking for suggestions on what I can do to clean it up. I already have Turtle Wax Color Magic (with ChipStik) and Meguiar's Scratch-X on the shelf - which would you guys say is better? I also have a clay bar kit I was thinking of using, but then I saw a NuFinish commercial the other day and thought maybe that was a better idea.

Thoughts? I'm planning to work on it this weekend...

dietz99vcross
07/31/2013, 07:25 PM
Personally with what you describe I would vote for the clay bar first. I have used the NuFinish before, but think it works best on a decent paint job. Get rid of the oxidation and some of the scratches first.

Scott Larson
08/01/2013, 08:38 AM
Yup, short of a thorough wet-sand and buff, the claybar, wax and buff is the way to go. I'd get ahold of a power buffer though!

vt_maverick
08/01/2013, 10:57 AM
Cool, thanks for the input, maybe I'll take some before/after pics and post them here. Figure there are probably some VX owners with the same problem...

If anyone has additional or conflicting advice feel free to chime in...

tom4bren
08/01/2013, 11:02 AM
If the oxidation is under the clearcoat, then you are fighting a losing battle (ask me how I know).

Please let us know how it turns out though. I know a certain Amigo that needs a good waxing:)

workmeistr
08/01/2013, 11:59 AM
I stand behind Griot’s, Ash, though I have not encountered oxidation under the clearcoat before. Good luck.
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13761

RickOKC
08/01/2013, 06:24 PM
I've never used Turtle Wax Color Magic, but I'm a big fan of Meguiar's products including Scratch-X. I used NuFinish ONCE and threw it away because it was so hard to remove the one time I tried to bring back a neglected paint job.

I recently bought the DA Power System (http://www.meguiars.com/en/dapowersystem/) and was extremely pleased with the results. I didn't bother paying extra for the kit with all the polish & wax since I have plenty of that - I just got the (overpriced) $55 kit with the head & a couple bonnets. Even though I already had a good buffer, I especially liked this because I ignored their advice and used it with my cordless drill. It was so convenient to not have to drag around a cord. Another reason to like it is because the bonnets are really small. Whatever time you might lose due to the smaller surface area, you make up by getting into tighter spaces and because it's easier to control you get less products that dries chalky on textured trim.

To bring a neglected car back to life I would wash, clay bar, rinse/dry, polish with buffer, wipe off with soft terrycloth, wax with buffer & wipe off with terrycloth. I keep the vehicle in the garage so I can spread all that out over a few days. But then... I tend to go a little overboard when it comes to detailing.