PDA

View Full Version : Trans fluid change oil temp question

Tornado
07/13/2013, 08:07 AM
Hi,

When changing the trans fluid the manual gives certain temps to check the level at with the scan tool. How are you guys doing this without the tool? What aftermarket "scan tool" will work?

Thanks!

etlsport
07/14/2013, 06:34 PM
I just use an infrared thermometer to check the temp

Scott Larson
07/14/2013, 09:45 PM
Me too, infrared temp gauge that I use with my nitro RC trucks, 225 degrees for my nitro motors, 125 degrees for my VX tranny, give or take 10 degrees...

blacksambo
07/16/2013, 06:50 PM
I don't understand? Just change the fluid and filter and replace with synthetic fluid, after so many miles.

Scott Larson
07/16/2013, 09:48 PM
blacksam, you've bought into too many horror stories...there's no blackmagic when it comes to changin' out tranny fluid, do it right and you should have no problems. Use quality fluid. (Amsoil ATF is "Da Bomb"!) Use a quality filter. (Carquests German-made SPX Filtran filter is an excellent choice!) Clean out the pans, front and rear and use a suction gun to clear the cooler and lines. Butter all your gaskets (Filter gasket and front and rear pan gaskets) with Loctite 518 and torque bolts accordingly and fill to proper level with engine running and trans in park, trans at 125 degrees F. Refer to Bart's write-up for all the details and everything should be fine. I've done this service on two VX's with over 100,000 miles and they both run awsome, smoother shifts and firm lockup. Five words of caution though, DO NOT FLUSH YOUR TRANS!!!! The consensus being it breaks crud loose and washes out "false seals" rendering your trans pretty much useless within the first hundred miles or so...

tom4bren
07/17/2013, 05:27 AM
I also firmly believe that you should NOT run through the gears with the engine running to drain out every last drop of the old tranny fluid. Too many members have had their tranny go FUBAR after the fluid change using that process ... & besides, it just sounds like a really bad idea anyway.

My $0.02 ... & I want change back:)

Scott Larson
07/17/2013, 09:01 AM
x2 on what Tom said...and sorry Tom, there will be no change, "NO SOUP FOR YOU"!!! :_mecker:(Soup Nazi)

tom4bren
07/17/2013, 09:36 AM
Well that opinion is worth all of $0.04 now.:)

JoFotoz
07/17/2013, 11:17 AM
Also...

Changing from standard fluid to Synth can cause issues.

I know several examples ( not VX's) in the 50-120 K mileage range that switched to synth...

...and had major Trans issues.

The feeling was the Synth 'cleaned/dislodged' crap..and it caused the issues.

Just my ha'penny worth.... :cool:

jo

Scott Larson
07/17/2013, 01:12 PM
Ah Jo, you have no cents...:rotate: (And by-the-way, I've heard the same horror stories but have never had that problem myself...I'm jinxed now!!!) :slap: