PDA

View Full Version : Drivers side front axle.

RodL
07/11/2013, 01:15 PM
Just got a call from my Mechanic reporting the axles I brought him were only for the Right side and not Right and Left. Ordered a replacement today from California but am looking for one that might be a bit closer. If I don't get the part today I will have to wait until next weekend to have him start working on it again. I'm in Iowa and have exhausted the parts supply houses in a 100 mile radius.

Thanks for any assistance,

Rod

SilverBullet75
07/11/2013, 02:07 PM
The right side, duplicated, will work on the left if you are NOT replacing the left side green cup & splined-shaft.

(I did this... works great, 1.5 yrs later.)

MSHardeman
07/11/2013, 03:28 PM
What Bullet said. I never know the correct terms, and if this doesn't get resolved for you today, I have a diagram of VehiCROSS parts at home that I can post up so that we all know what we are talking about. Anyway, what I will call the half shafts are the same for both sides. Those are the little spinny axle parts that you can actually see when you look under the VX. they include the inner and outer CV joint, the shaft between the two, and a splined shaft that fits into the hub on the front wheel.

What I call the axles are the parts that are inside the axle housing and cannot be seen when you look under the VX (well, you can see the housing). They include the outer race for the inner CV joint (what everyone calls the green cups) which is part of a shaft with splined ends that mate into the center differential. Those axles are very different between the driver and passenger side.

Actually, I just remembered that I have a picture of the complete drivers side axle, from the center differential out to the hub:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Driver_Side_Axle_Extended_02.JPG

On the right hand side of the image you can see the axle that fits into the axle housing. It has splines on the far right end and the "green cup" is on the left hand side of the axle (it has numbers written on it). This is the driver side axle and it is much longer than the passenger side due to the center differential being off center of the VX. The half shaft starts at the "green cup" and continues all the way to the left of the image. It includes the two CV joints that are covered by the CV boots which look like bellows. These half shafts are the same length for the driver and passenger side.

A while back I needed to replace my driver side axle (the one in the axle housing) because my driver side inner CV boot had torn and I didn't notice it for a while. With the CV open to the elements all kinds of dirt and grime got in there and scarred and pitted up the "green cup". I couldn't find a replacement axle so I had the axle taken out and sent off to a machine shop. The shop filled in the scar's and pits with metal (basically welded them up) and then re-machined everything back into spec. That was three or four years ago and I haven't had a problem with the axle since.

JoFotoz
07/11/2013, 04:05 PM
Yup..triple agree.

If you release the band on the CV boot thats on the "cup"....

...you can use the 1/2 shaft either side.

If you are replacing axles because of blown boots/clacking CV's...
...this should be sufficient as long as "Cup" is not worn/pitted..as Mark said!

Cheers

Jo

RodL
07/12/2013, 03:26 AM
Thank you for the replies. I have searched out various photo and descriptions of the shafts and will take to the mechanic today. Should have done that earlier ( like before we started). Will remember that in the future.

Rod

RodL
07/21/2013, 08:07 AM
The Sur Track axle arrived last week and was delivered to the Mechanic. He thought about working on it Saturday afternoon but when I rode by in the early evening it appeared the VX hadn't moved. Hopefully this week he will get it back in the shop. I am planning a trip next Monday and hope to be able to drive it. Will be keeping the old axles and rebuilding them in my spare time.

Rod

VXD959
07/21/2013, 09:59 AM
Same here. My VX is currently at the shop to install the Suretrak axles. I will also keep the original ones and rebuild them.

If you don't mind telling us...how much are they charging you for the replacement job?

I went to 4 different shops and the price varied from $450 to $900 for both axles. I was able to convince my mechanic to do both for $400.

Thanks,

jmayer40
07/24/2013, 05:09 AM
Have you tried Napa.? They carry most of our parts

tom4bren
07/24/2013, 05:44 AM
Thank you for the replies. I have searched out various photo and descriptions of the shafts and will take to the mechanic today. Should have done that earlier ( like before we started). Will remember that in the future.

Rod

Print out the installation instructions for MechaTech CV boots from the How2 section. That contains all they need to know (with pix) for the shortcut install of the 1/2 shaft.

RodL
07/25/2013, 08:18 PM
Ok, picked up the VX this evening. Finally done with the axle and ball joints and 4 wheel alignment. $ 746.34 with tax and a couple seal. That was all labor. He worked on it for almost two full days. Had it all tore apart the first day but didn't think the drivers side axle was right . Got the complete assembly from Suretrac, but it took a week. He was busy for another week before getting the car back in this morning to finish everything up. He basically tore it down twice. Front end feels much tighter now. Taking it on a 600 mile trip on Monday so will see how it handles the road.

Rod

ps, have the OE Axles to rebuild probably won't ever need them so do I rebuild now and hold onto them or spray them down with grease and rebuild them as needed?

Thanks,

rl

blacksambo
07/25/2013, 09:03 PM
Nice story. Thx

tom4bren
07/26/2013, 04:52 AM
... do I rebuild now and hold onto them or spray them down with grease and rebuild them as needed?

Thanks,

rl

Rod,

Human nature being what it is ... when you need them, you need them NOW!!!. Technically it won't make a difference if you store them for a rebuild later but if you have a set sitting on the shelf 'ready to go', it'll make a big difference if/when you need them.

Just my $.02

RodL
07/26/2013, 08:44 AM
Rod,

Human nature being what it is ... when you need them, you need them NOW!!!. Technically it won't make a difference if you store them for a rebuild later but if you have a set sitting on the shelf 'ready to go', it'll make a big difference if/when you need them.

Just my $.02

Good point. Better get started on the rebuild soon.