PDA

View Full Version : Fasteners and Clips Info/Chatter

tysamigo
07/09/2013, 06:39 PM
With all of the projects I'm working on, I have replaced just about every single fastener, clip, grommet and do-dad that there are on the vx, internally and externally. I've searched for a doc or thread to find a list for aftermarket replacements (exact match or close to it) for all fasteners, clips and grommets and couldn't find one so I'm making one and will post it when it's finished. I've learned a great deal, even a little about the mindset when they designed the vx. I could go on and on but most of you probably already know... when you take the vx apart you can see a lot of differences over a "normal car" just in the workmanship and quality. I'm more impressed now that I have seen it naked, than I had before. Even the holes drilled for the grommets are perfect at 4, 6, or 8mm (circle or square shape) as I measured each one with a digital caliper.

Did you know that the grommets in the exterior trim of the vx have a rubber seal attached around the rim? This is to ensure a tighter grip and the clip does not rub against the paint for chipping. I found 2 manufacturer's in Hong Kong and although we cannot buy from them, they told me the difference between both models that they make, one with the seal and the other without the seal (the most common in the auto industry due to cost). Even with Auveco having a direct exact replacement model, it is a special order and takes a bit more time to receive.

From many trips to Fastenal, cross referencing oem part numbers (some w/merlin's help) with google, taking exact measurements of head diam, stem diam, stem length, size of hole to fit, color...and even mailing about a dozen directly to Auveco (one of the largest after market companies that makes this kinda stuff) here in Kentucky to match up with their product, I'm pretty sure this will be a nice list that will provide an easy and affordable way (without backorders) to replace any of these things, any time and without problems. Hopefully it will help others in the future. I have all the info, I just need to take the time to put it together and make it pretty, maybe a couple of weeks.

In the mean time if anyone needs to know anything about any of these items, I might not be the biggest expert, but ask away...I might be able to help. I probably can tell you which model number and where to buy and have it quickly.

I've been able to find every single item that I needed from 2 different places and at the best prices w/shipping included. I did have to get 1 part from Merlin because I couldn't find a direct replacement, and that's the cladding retainer (attaches to the "cladding brackets")...

First you will need an Auveco Model Number (which I have and will have a list soon), then you find them at one of the sites below...Shoot me a message if you need a model number before I get the list up.

http://dixied.com/store/index.html

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/

PS, when I make this chart, would it be best that I make a PDF? Is that the way to go?

tom4bren
07/10/2013, 05:55 AM
Ty,

When I'm doing something like the chart you are talking about, I usually use either MS Word or Excel (if pix are involved (like a How2) then I typically use PowerPoint). When you get it all purdy like, you can convert it to pdf for distribution to the masses.

Lemme know if I can help.

Tom