PDA

View Full Version : When is the Matrix?

Bantan
11/06/2003, 07:18 AM
Using background culled from the three movies and "Animatrix" shorts, The Associated Press compiled an estimated timeline of the war between men and machines:

2010-60 — Humans create humanoid drone robots with Artificial Intelligence to fill jobs as construction laborers and servants.
2069 — The hovercraft transport ship Nebuchadnezzar, later to be captained by Morpheus, is constructed in the United States.
2075 — AI programs evolve and some robots began to resent their human overlords.
2077 — In the first case of a machine rising up against its owners, the butler robot B166ER slaughters two humans, leading to B166ER's eradication and a backlash against robots and artificial intelligence.
2080-85 — Rioting and violence against machines prompts robots to flee major cities and establish their own community — known as Zero One — in a remote part of the Middle East.
2085-2095— Zero One thrives, creating superior vehicles, computers and weaponry and decimating the economies of many human nations, which now lack the machine-based labor that made them strong.
2096— United Nations officials refuse to accept the robot civilization of Zero One as a sovereign nation. A trade blockade of robot goods leads to war.
2097 — Zero One survives a nuclear attack — its inhabitants are impervious to the heat and radiation and casualties are quickly replaced. Counterstrikes launched against humans.
2098 — As cities fall beneath the might of mechanized forces, desperate military leaders attempt to block the main source of energy for the robot city: the sun. The plan destroys the atmosphere and fills the sky with choking black smoke — but does not stop the machines.
2099— Machine forces overtake human armies and capture survivors and civilians for experimentation, determining that human bio-electricity can be harnessed to replace the sun's energy.
2100 — Machines create the Matrix, a dream-like world set in 1999, to extend the lives of the comatose human batteries.
2105 — The first human known as The One, locked in bondage inside the Matrix, learns he can manipulate the world through thought and manages to break free. Seeks sanctuary in the underground human stronghold of Zion.
2105-2150 — Zion resistance movement created, although The One later dies under unexplained circumstances.
2161 — Morpheus born in a Matrix womb; freed in childhood.
2167 — Trinity born in a Matrix womb; freed in early childhood.
2175 — The Oracle prophesizes that Morpheus will discover the second coming of The One.
2199 — Trinity and Morpheus discover Neo, a hacker in the Matrix. They free him and do battle with Agent Smith, a program designed to rid the Matrix of humans who detect its flaws.
2201 — The Osiris, another human rebellion ship, discovers machines drilling through the Earth above Zion. Crew members send a message through the Matrix to their compatriots shortly before being destroyed.
2201 — Now living in Zion and working with the rebellion against the machines, Neo encounters The Architect, the artificial intelligence program that created the Matrix.
2201 —The Architect reveals that the Matrix places rebellious humans in Zion, which it then targets for destruction, thus eradicating "bugs" in its system. He states that Zion has been destroyed five previous times — suggesting the Matrix may be much older than he thinks.

Dallas4u
11/06/2003, 08:07 AM
That actually makes understanding the first two a lot easier!

kobie
11/06/2003, 10:40 AM
I saw the movie Tuesday... You MUST go see Matrix Revolutions. For those who thought the first ones were hard to follow, this one spells it all out for you.

Panther_Black_VX
11/06/2003, 10:56 AM
Went yesterday and saw "Matrix Revolutions". VERY good, excellent effects. Wonderful performances by Jada Pickett-Smith, Nona Gaye, among others.

It is exetremely hard to keep raising the bar when doing sequels especially with the same theme through all movies. We saw this with Star Wars. I think, for the most part, they overcame this with the Matrix trillogies, however it is not totally immune from it. The normal but unrealistic expectation for each movie to be better then the previous ones, may cause some people to be disappointed. I wasn't.

That being said, all in all it was a great movie and very worth the effort and time to go see. Matrix fans should be pleased...

Dallas4u
11/06/2003, 11:40 AM
I think one has to be a Matrix fan to really like the second and third releases as, with the second one, this one hasn't been getting the greatest reviews.

I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed.

EclipseGSX
11/06/2003, 12:20 PM
I'm hoping to see Revolutions this weekend at the IMAX theater in Framingham. Supposedly they have these @ss-shaking seats.

Theater Director Nick says - "This film is intense...our "Buttkicker Seats" (low frequency sound activated seats) throughout the film will help you enter the 4th Dimension. This is the only IMAX theater in the world with this technology - see it, hear it, and now FEEL it...awesome"

johnnyapollo
11/06/2003, 12:33 PM
Saw it last night. Excellent effects, etc.

I did not think the ending answered a lot of questions, perhaps opening it up for a sequel trilogy or three. The movie has a def yin/yang mentality - everything is about balance.

Seeing it again tonight~ I'm obvioulsy a huge fan and hope to see things I missed last night.

-- John

PS: Saw Underworld on 70mm at the iMax and it was incredibly beautiful. I also hope to catch the Matrix Revolutions at the iMax next week (they're sold out this week). Highly Recommended!

Moncha
11/06/2003, 01:02 PM
Being that they filmed all 3 basically the same time, it does away with that "Got to make it better" philosophy.
Too bad the third came out so soon I was hoping to do a Matrix reunion in Moab!

VX-KING
11/06/2003, 01:27 PM
We Are The Matrix, We Build It, Just look at our VehiCross
it a machine

just kidding i liked the "Matrix Revolutions".

Apostle
11/06/2003, 02:23 PM
time line a little askewed

in part two, not only does the "architect" say that there were 5 "ones" before Neo, but so does the "Merlvinci"

"your predecesors(sp?) showed more respect"

but all in all, good info about the causality of Neo

im going saturday to see it :D

JAG!
11/06/2003, 02:48 PM
Hell, it's a "Revolution" that I even made it out to the theatre... Last movie I've saw was Reloaded, which came up a bit short.

But, as was mentioned -- hard to keep momentum going after the 1st movie -- since really, everyone was introduced to that 'world' then. It was new, a novelty... So I can understand why peepz are giving the 2nd and 3rd less than stellar reviews...

BUT! I will say, and this is my opinion -- this final installment is better than the 2nd. I'm an FX buff -- so I was drooling throughout most of the movie. :D

Finally, for those that haven't seen it, don't go to related movie boards to read up on user reviews... Some people just don't have the courtesy to warn you about spoilers..and unfortunately, I knew how the movie was going to go because some jackazz couldn't keep their mouth shut. (Plus right now, most of these boards are having immature arguments about whether or not some people saw the movie before it's 11/05 release -- jeez).

If however, you've done some of this, don't read too much about what other people say about the movie.. Just go, and make up your own mind.

Bantan
11/06/2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by JAG!
If however, you've done some of this, don't read too much about what other people say about the movie.. Just go, and make up your own mind.

Well done.......... "Mr Anderson"

WyrreJ
11/06/2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Moncha
Being that they filmed all 3 basically the same time, it does away with that "Got to make it better" philosophy.

Only the last two were filmed together. The first one is like 5 years old. FWIW, the first matrix was the first DVD to sell more than 1 million copies.

All three Lord of the Rings movies were filmed together and Agent Smith is also a primary character in those films. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

PS, anyone here who has not seen the Wachowski Brother's first film ("the matrix" was their 2nd), "Bound" with Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon you should go out and buy the DVD. It is nothing at all like the matrix it is a kind of sexy gangster film noir. Very entertaining.

You can pick it up for under $10 delivered. (http://dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bin/dvdcalc2?cmd=calc&tmpCart=245)

Panther_Black_VX
11/07/2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
the Wachowski Brother's first film ("the matrix" was their 2nd), "Bound" with Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon you should go out and buy the DVD. It is nothing at all like the matrix it is a kind of sexy gangster film noir. Very entertaining.

"Bound" was a GREAT movie!! Sultry Tilly and Sexy Gershon?!? Very nice!

Apostle
11/08/2003, 03:49 PM
Went today (took the kids) to see the final chapter.

THE ONLY SEATS LEFT WERE IN THE FIRST ROW!!!!!

saw School of Rock instead :sighy:

but all in all it was a good movie too, more of one you would rent

JAG!
11/09/2003, 11:52 AM
I bought the VX in San Antonio, and it seems San Antonio has an IMAX theatre. It has been suggested by a close family member that I take a weekend trip to see Matrix on the IMAX -- to cheer me up. SA is bout 250 miles away from me, by the way.

Plus, it would serve me some well to get away from here and from the "job search" routine and depression.

I hear the "IMAX Experience" is not to be missed. We'll see. Surprised the ticket price is $9.95 -- I thought it was going to be $15-$20.