PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic in San Diego?

MsConduct
07/02/2013, 01:52 PM
Hi all... Haven't been to the site for a long time, but glad to see it is as active as ever! I popped in today thinking maybe I'd see what the market is for selling the green beast. We just have too many vehicles in the household, and the VX is suffering from neglect.

Then, I saw all the pics and posts, and decided maybe I should toss a little more money into the beast and start driving her again. Problem is, I need a mechanic who knows these things. As I recall, there was someone in the San Diego area... Anybody have some contact info?

JoFotoz
07/02/2013, 03:15 PM
Hi MsConduct !

What work do you need doing???...I may be able to help :smack::thumbup:

If not:-

I would HIGHLY recommend Pacific Beach Foreign and Domestic
in Pacific Beach

Tel:- 858-270-1142

Talk to either Aaron or George...father and son team.

They do any work for me that I dont do myself, and have experience with
at least two other Vehicri/Vehicrosses as well.

Great service, good prices...HONEST.

Good to see another San Diego VX...I dont know why I havent
noticed you posting here before!
Do let me know if you go there..
...I'll pop over and say Hi!

Jo

MsConduct
07/02/2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks, JoFotoz!

Long story about what I need, but here goes... Last December the transmission just quit transmissioning, and I limped into a trusted local garage. The mechanic said he was familiar with that particular transmission, so I trusted him to do the rebuild.

It seemed to be fixed, but then I discovered that the button that switches to "Power" mode no longer had any impact on the operation. (The dash light still lights, but no noticeable change in performance/gearing.) I talked to the mechanic about it, but he was sure that there was nothing done or not done during the rebuild that would have had an effect on that. Well, anyway, I think that needs to be fixed.

Second and bigger issue is that there seems to be something wearing out in the differential or somewhere like that. The poor thing just roars (and not a good exhaust-like roar) and it just doesn't seem right. So, I need someone to check it out and give me the bad news on that one, too.

Other little annoyances are either electrical (LOL... search here for Joe Isuzu's story about the horn sticking on... still haven't really fixed that but many have had creative solutions to the problem) or have to do with body parts warping. Not show stoppers, but still annoying.

So, that's what I need. I tried the mechanic up in Monrovia, and he was seemingly good, but also very expensive. Willing to give someone else a try. I live in OC but work in San Diego, and I'm pretty sure the VX would make the trip just fine. But I can't put 150 miles a day on it in its current state, that's for sure. So it sits.

BTW - do I sometimes see you heading west on the 78 at about 5:30 pm?

JoFotoz
07/02/2013, 03:48 PM
Hiya

Regarding transmission...I use a really good place in National City..
...they know our tranny well...carry spares/full rebuilt units..etc.

Diff I can help with, I even have spare diffs available, both front and back.

Other bits...more than happy to take a look...but electrics are not my forte!

By all means bring your VX down to my place in Pacific Beach
( weekends or weekdays are fine)...
We can go over the issues and figure out what you need.
(I have a wrecked VX in my garage for spares !! )

If I can do the work, I will, if youre good with that...
.......if not PB foreign and Domestic or National City Trans would
be my suggestion.

No..not my VX on 78...unless she's taken to nipping off on her own :p

I work mostly from home..so she sits here when not off roading.

Jo

MsConduct
07/02/2013, 09:08 PM
Absolutely awesome!!! Thanks so much! Even if you don't want to do the differential work, I would love to have someone give me an opinion on what it might be. The rest of this month is kinda nuts for me, but I will PM you with my contact info and hopefully we can set up something. I'll need to figure out some logistics so I can leave the beast and get home.

I love this site!!!!!

MSHardeman
07/03/2013, 10:03 AM
The power button really doesn't have any "noticeable" effect on the transmission. It really just adjust the shift points of the transmission so that it shifts at higher RPM's (it's not like a turbo boost :p), so it might be working just fine. Try turning the power mode off and getting on the skinny pedal when you take off from a light. Notice at what RPM the transmission is shifting, then put it in power mode and do the same test. Does the tranny shift at a different spot (higher up in the RPM band)?

JoFotoz
07/03/2013, 10:16 AM
What ^^^ Mark said :thumbup:

I figured we can go through that when we test out the diff :_steering

Jo

bartmanS4
07/03/2013, 10:22 AM
Jo should be able to help with this but make sure you have a few more people to stand around and give advice. :smilewink
Scott

JoFotoz
07/03/2013, 10:32 AM
LMAO Scott.... :clap:

I'll put up the "Stoop" sign, lay out some camping chairs, pour some cocktails......

:dan_ban::dan_ban:

Jo

MsConduct
07/03/2013, 10:43 AM
Sounds like a good party to me!!!

And to think I was just about to consider selling the main attraction!

As for the Power button, I am sure it is not working. I used that button frequently, and can feel the difference in the way the VX acts with it on or off. It is doing nothing now, except turning on the light. :(

Indeed, I don't know whether the tranny rebuild knocked something loose or if maybe something just didn't get connected back up, or maybe it is just a weird coincidence. In any case, I do miss it, and want it back.

Looking forward to meeting more VXers and their opinions! :yesb:

bartmanS4
07/03/2013, 11:23 AM
Sorry man but as stated before the power button doesn't actually change anything in the tranny. It simply changes the shift commands sent to the tranny from the ECU. It really just allows the VX to remain in lower gear ranges at higher RPMs. I can't see how a transmission rebuild would effect this, you should be able to determine the shift point RPMs at gradual acceleration alternating power mode on and off.
Good luck and I'd like to be there to give Jo pointers Haha.
Cheers
Scott

MsConduct
07/03/2013, 11:44 AM
I agree that the rebuild probably did not *directly* disable the Power button. But the guys who removed the tranny, and the guys that did the rebuild, had never even seen a VX before. The mechanic who did the remove and replace part commented something like "wow... there sure is a lot of stuff in there... that took a lot longer than we expected because there is so much going on..."

So, considering the button was working just before the rebuild (immediately before, in fact) and it wasn't working immediately afterwards, my hunch is that something just isn't connected back where it should be. In fact, when the tranny decided to just stick mostly in second gear, with an occasional random jump to first or third... all this on the freeway... I tried pushing the magic zoom button to get some control over the thing. It did change the shifting points a little, even with the tranny in its confused state. It had more of an effect than the actual gear shifter. Now it does nothing.

My kingdom for a VX with a manual transmission!

KILNA
07/03/2013, 11:50 AM
I have been working with a mechanic in the Miramar area, MR Master Mechanics... these guys are affordable, knowledgeable, and they don't mind when I source my own parts (which is important for a VX owner). They even let me know when work *other* mechanics have flagged as must-do are actually you-can-put-that-off-a-while. I found them as a happy accident through Yelp... some of the crew there came from Classic VW (which used to also be Classic Isuzu up in Escondido), so they have some Isuzu background. If you go there, tell them Kilna sent you.

KILNA
07/03/2013, 11:51 AM
Oh, and as an aside, I know Jofotoz too and just got a couple of catalytic converters from him, I'd trust his recommendations for a place as much as mine. :)

MsConduct
07/03/2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks! Good to have options! Maybe they would like to come kibbutz with Jo and bartsman! I can provide the refreshments while we kick the tires and swear :-)

KILNA
07/03/2013, 12:02 PM
BTW, I'm on the I-15 side end heading westward on the 78 between 5 and 7 in the evenings... but you'd know it's me, the license plate says "Kilna". :)

bartmanS4
07/03/2013, 12:27 PM
Thanks! Good to have options! Maybe they would like to come kibbutz with Jo and bartsman! I can provide the refreshments while we kick the tires and swear :-)

Sorry, I should have said I'd love to be there but it is a bit of a drive from Denver.
Cheers and good luck!