PDA

View Full Version : new engine start up?

vxfocus
06/25/2013, 07:38 PM
anyone know how to prime the oil pump?
the sheet i got with the engine says to prime the oil pump before first start up to prevent bearing damage...
but they dont say how to do it

SilverBullet75
06/25/2013, 07:49 PM
Normally that's done with the pump outside the engine. You inject oil into the pump with a squeeze pump. With it installed...?
Doesn't make sense.
Did the builder do it during assembly?

hughesdt
06/26/2013, 09:05 AM
The one that I borrowed looked like a metal oil can. Filled it with oil screwed a hose into the pressure sender and used compressed air to force the oil into the engine. I too was told, from a reputable mechanic, to do this before starting the motor. I have never done this before with chevy engines I have rebuilt, but I did fill their oil pumps with grease so that they where not dry on start up and be able to pull oil up to the pump. Since I couldn't really get to the inside of the oil pump on the Vehicross I figured I'd take the advice.

89Vette
06/27/2013, 09:50 PM
Yes, pack the oil pump with grease during assembly...

For my SBC 383, I used the poor man's method. I pulled the plugs and cranked the motor. It spins very quickly w/o compression and the starter does a decent job of showing you if oil pressure builds as expected. I can't remember that the VX has a gauge to confirm when the oil is "loaded". My vette has a digital gauge. It took about 20 seconds to fully prime.

I'm on it's 3rd year and going strong...so it worked fine.

hughesdt
06/28/2013, 09:45 AM
No gauge for oil pressure unless it was added after-market. And I don't believe that the starter, even with out the plugs, will spin fast enough to build up enough pressure to turn off the oil pressure light.

vxfocus
06/28/2013, 02:44 PM
ok so i did alot of digging for some info on prelubing the engine..and found that there are products out there that indeed hook up to the pressure sending unit and use shop air to force the oil thru the oil gallies to make sure all bearing surfaces are coated in oil...but they are expensive and for a one time use not cost effective for me then i found this http://www.engineprelube.com/instalubekit.html
it is basically the same thing as above but it is a permanent install,so every time the key is turned to the on position this unit charges the oil passages in the engine before the first revolution of the crank/start cycle..and it can also be used to prelube a rebuilt "dry" engine....soooo i just ordered one

EVO
06/30/2013, 06:55 PM
Sounds simular to a Accusump.