PDA

View Full Version : Bad tire?

dsallade01
06/25/2013, 11:56 AM
Has anyone ever seen a tire do this? It happened on both sides. If I was out of tread it would have been one thing, or even to the wear bars between the threads, but I wasn't. I'd say bad tire, but they have 25,000+ miles on them so you would think I would have seen something before now.

tom4bren
06/25/2013, 12:07 PM
Bad tire ... bad tire ... go sit in the corner.:)

I've actually seen that before but only on the sidewall, not on the tread.

Judging by the wear, it looks like you've been running them underinflated. I wonder if that may have contributed.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/pavtxer/Eagle%20LS2/ForestHills-20121023-01070.jpg

Found this pic by googling "belts showing on tire"

It could have been pothole damage or something.

dsallade01
06/25/2013, 08:15 PM
It does have both front axles going out and a bad vibration in the front. I assumed it was the tire, but its still there so now I'm wondering if the vibration from the axles caused the belts to separate inside, but shooting out through the tread like that is weird.

The tire pressure was good on all four tires, but the previous owner had put "green slime" in the tire. Not sure if that could have assisted in me having a "bad tire!!" (Killing me Tom:laughing:)

Bad tire ... bad tire ... go sit in the corner.:)

I've actually seen that before but only on the sidewall, not on the tread.

Judging by the wear, it looks like you've been running them underinflated. I wonder if that may have contributed.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/pavtxer/Eagle%20LS2/ForestHills-20121023-01070.jpg

Found this pic by googling "belts showing on tire"

It could have been pothole damage or something.

etlsport
06/25/2013, 08:40 PM
Usually belts coming out is because of a poor alignment. Typically toe angle. i see it all the time in the shop. Alignment should be checked at least once a year

dsallade01
06/26/2013, 05:28 AM
Doing the lift in the next couple weeks so I will get that fixed then. I never thought about the alignment being a probable candidate. :rolly2:

Usually belts coming out is because of a poor alignment. Typically toe angle. i see it all the time in the shop. Alignment should be checked at least once a year

dsallade01
06/26/2013, 07:22 AM
Same tire, but the inside that I couldnt see. It still boggles my mind:_thinking how the belts are coming out through the side of the tire like that.

tom4bren
06/26/2013, 07:58 AM
The tire pressure was good on all four tires, but the previous owner had put "green slime" in the tire.

The fact that the tire had been 'slimed' would indicate that it had gone flat at some point. If it had been driven on (even for a short distance) uber-under inflated could cause belt separation.

It may actually be a combination of the 2 events - run flat & improper wear from the mis-alignment.

EVO
06/26/2013, 08:09 AM
I should have taken a picture for the archives!! Split tire core in the middle of some super cheap "Dean Tires" that came with my VX when I bought her, this weekend!! Bubbled out and started shaking in 90' weather driving 85mph!! Didn't pop but when we removed her you could clearly see the cords inside the tire separated allowing the tire to bulge in the middle!! First time I've ever had a tire come apart while I was driving!! Plenty meat on the tire left, just a poorly made tire, an accident waiting to happen!! Lesson here: Buy decent Tires or drive accordingly to what you have on your hoopty!!

dsallade01
06/26/2013, 10:11 AM
Thats scary bro!! THese were Kumho and had good mileage on them so I guess I'm gonna blame the VX issues as opposed to the tire. I will for sure be keeping a better eye on the tires from now on though.

I should have taken a picture for the archives!! Split tire core in the middle of some super cheap "Dean Tires" that came with my VX when I bought her, this weekend!! Bubbled out and started shaking in 90' weather driving 85mph!! Didn't pop but when we removed her you could clearly see the cords inside the tire separated allowing the tire to bulge in the middle!! First time I've ever had a tire come apart while I was driving!! Plenty meat on the tire left, just a poorly made tire, an accident waiting to happen!! Lesson here: Buy decent Tires or drive accordingly to what you have on your hoopty!!

dsallade01
06/26/2013, 10:12 AM
Good point Tom.

The fact that the tire had been 'slimed' would indicate that it had gone flat at some point. If it had been driven on (even for a short distance) uber-under inflated could cause belt separation.

It may actually be a combination of the 2 events - run flat & improper wear from the mis-alignment.