PDA

View Full Version : One step at a time...my son's VX progress

VXD959
06/23/2013, 04:33 PM
Just wanted to share a "before" and "after" pic of the 1999 Ironman I got for my son (he will be 15 in Sept, so it is my toy until he gets his permit. He has been taken "lessons" under my supervision).

The first pic is how I got it from the guy in Chicago. The second is how it looks now after clean up. I decided to "re-badge" the VX and add some "stickers" for a more "rally", "younger" look.

Mods include: Rancho's 9000s, upgraded to 18" OEM wheels (from the original 16"), 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers, Flowmaster 40, Back up camera, K&N filter, SureTrac axles, Pioneer DVD Navigation system (AVIC-N3) with Back-up Camera, TV Tuner, MP3 video AND iPod hookup, Basslink woofer, new front speakers, Hella headlights 50/100w, replaced bulbs fog lights & horn lights, added LED lights to front, "fake" hood scoop, white & carbon fiber 4" antenna.

Next week I will plasti-dip the rear wing (white) to see how it looks. I will also try the small cladding piece under the door just for kicks.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag63/dbeuses/0032-vert_zps8a89750d.jpg (http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/dbeuses/media/0032-vert_zps8a89750d.jpg.html)
http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag63/dbeuses/018_zps071c6304.jpg (http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/dbeuses/media/018_zps071c6304.jpg.html)

subject47
06/23/2013, 04:40 PM
looks clean but I cant say Im a fan of the generic 4x4 sticker on the side but thats personal taste. Hell there are people on this site that would cry if they saw what I put my VX through.

Enjoy your beast

VXD959
06/23/2013, 04:47 PM
looks clean but I cant say Im a fan of the generic 4x4 sticker on the side but thats personal taste. Hell there are people on this site that would cry if they saw what I put my VX through.

Enjoy your beast

Yeah, not mine either, but it was to cover a small paint blemish/ scratch in one of the rear quarters. I might change that in the future...just wanted to experiment a little. Same issue with the "Dmax" badge in one of the sides. I could not find the complete "Vehicross Ironman" decal. I got the "Vehicross" letters from VXKat, and decided for the Dmax badge in the meantime.

louweed
06/23/2013, 05:48 PM
Chicago? how bad was the rust underneath the entire beast?

dsallade01
06/23/2013, 07:35 PM
Looks great man. That's a lucky young man.

tom4bren
06/24/2013, 05:29 AM

Boy & I are working on his Ebony now too - best of luck with the project. Haven't really started on any cosmetics yet since there are mechanical issues to take care of first.

Looks great. IMHO, I don't think that the white spoiler is gonna look right but it's your call. At least you're doing plati-dip so it can be removed if'n you don't like it.

angeno
07/26/2013, 07:35 PM
What a great dad you are. My little guy is only 5 years old. But he's already informed me that "Monsty" is his when he's old enough to drive. So, my job is to keep our/his VX in good running condition for about the next 11 years or so. Think we'll make it? ;)

Marlin
07/27/2013, 06:57 AM
Yikes, I don't have the funding to pay for fuel in 7 years when my oldest is driving. I can't imagine what the cost will be, if we are even allowed to drive these things without a special permit when that time comes. On a highschool money budget, he will be driving a compact car:) He seems to think he will get mine, not gonna happen. On a practical note, the VX is not the most friendly "kid' car, back seat is almost unusable, horrible mileage, and the extreme temptation to go off road only leads to bad situations. The VX is a great toy if you have the budget to support it. I might let him drive to prom or something:) My dad let me drive his new Dodge Ram with the V8 magnum when they first came out back in the day. It was homecoming, first thing I did, burnout in the parking lot, second thing, drove over every curb and ditch I came across on the way to dinner and dance:bgwb: That is why my first car was a 78 volvo wagon with a 4 banger.

GPA
07/27/2013, 01:38 PM
Looks sweet...nice job! :yesy:

VXD959
07/27/2013, 01:47 PM
On a practical note, the VX is not the most friendly "kid' car, back seat is almost unusable, horrible mileage, and the extreme temptation to go off road only leads to bad situations.

That's exactly one of the reasons I want my son to learn how to drive in the VX: no passengers in the back seat! Sometimes I see teens driving their cars cramming like 6 others kids inside...which is very dangerous! The least number of kids he can get in there, the better!!!

(By the way, I used this to my favor at work. My co-workers always offered to drive their vehicles since nobody wanted to go in the back seat of the VX!!!)

The other reason that I want my son to drive the VX is the cladding. Teens practically "ding" their cars all around when opening the doors and also when learning to park / reverse. I rather have nicks and scratches on the cladding that scratches on the body / paint of car.

In regards to gas mileage, the more it cost him the less he will be willing to drive around unnecessarily!!! :smilewink

In reference to off-roading, there are not a lot of places to off-road here in Houston, so I think we will be OK. Most he will do is to go over curbs, etc. to avoid traffic in our concrete jungle!

Cheers!! (BTW, this is how I justified purchasing another VX when discussing with my wife...plus I got the VX for a very good price!!)

jmayer40
07/27/2013, 01:53 PM
I'm in Chicago suburbs, rust is only surface or dusted.. Love that Zinc coating.

H3_VX
07/27/2013, 02:29 PM
I actually like the 4x4 decal, not a fan of the scoop though. Sweet looking ride.

VX KAT
07/27/2013, 11:38 PM
Yeah, not mine either, but it was to cover a small paint blemish/ scratch in one of the rear quarters. I might change that in the future...just wanted to experiment a little. Same issue with the "Dmax" badge in one of the sides. I could not find the complete "Vehicross Ironman" decal. I got the "Vehicross" letters from VXKat, and decided for the Dmax badge in the meantime.

:thumbup: Man, that's a lucky kid!! Kudos to Pops!!

You can still get the Ironman decals/badges new thru Merlin/Isuzu. The decal ones aren't too much $.