PDA

View Full Version : Rock Auto

RodL
06/17/2013, 02:05 PM
Over the weekend I again had the VX up on the rack. Looking around, pushing pulling shaking and finally found what I was looking for. The source for a rattle while running on rough terrain. The dust boots on both sides lower ball joints have large holes in them and no grease. Also there are no grease zerks to add grease, so I have placed an order from Rock Auto. I did try my local auto parts store but their price was double what I can get from Rockauto. The local guys said they understood and were glad I at least gave them the opportunity. I was willing to go 10% but 100% more is a bit much. Shipping didn't even add up to what the extra would be on one of the lower ball joints. Just hope I made the right decision.

Rod

dafman
06/17/2013, 04:12 PM
I have had plenty of experience with RockAuto with probably 10 different vehicles, including shocks, radiators, tie rods. It's literally the same parts you get from the auto places. Never had a problem! Never gotten a bad part either, although I know a few that have. They said it was very easy and comfortable dealing with the returns.

Vince

LittleBeast
06/17/2013, 04:36 PM
I have ordered many times from RockAuto, however I would never recommend buying any ball joint for the VX other than straight from Isuzu, one of those parts that you get what you pay for aftermarket vs. from Isuzu. Isuzu ball joints will last 3x as long.

Triathlete
06/17/2013, 05:26 PM
Other than oem, moog is the only way to go aftermatket.

VX KAT
06/17/2013, 06:00 PM
I have ordered many times from RockAuto, however I would never recommend buying any ball joint for the VX other than straight from Isuzu, one of those parts that you get what you pay for aftermarket vs. from Isuzu. Isuzu ball joints will last 3x as long.

I had my driver side lower ball joint replaced this month and decided to go with Isuzu OEM for exact reason LittleBeast said. The rubber boot was still INTACT, 84k, 12 years old.

Only replaced because I had to have lower control arm replaced, so while they were in the neighborhood…. Had I known about the Prothane LBJ boots, I MAY have just bought them and kept the rest in action.

VXordado posted his bad experience with aftermarket lower ball joints: also:http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=281687&postcount=54

Merlin mentioned the Moog brand as a cheaper alternative, sounds like that's the best aftermarket like Billy said above.

evillecutter
06/18/2013, 06:02 AM
if it says its for a vehicross and its from rockauto its probably the wrong part - i have ordered parts from them but only by the part # and not for the vehicle - they do have good prices but every time i actually got the correct part from them their website said it was for a different vehicle and would not fit the vx - i hope you have better luck with them than i have

i do know that if you ever have to send a part back to them always say it was the wrong part and not that you dont want it - that way they pay for shipping - if you say you dont want it they will make you pay for shipping

RodL
06/20/2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I took the numbers to a local parts store and they checked them for being the correct application but couldn't come close to the price. I did go with the Moog (a bit more expensive) because at least the top joint has a grease zerk. The photos of the parts look exactly like the OEM's on the VX. Got the info they were being shipped today so next Week I will know and hopefully get them changed.

Rod

tom4bren
06/21/2013, 07:05 AM
The other option is to buy the HD ball joints from Independent 4X. They are expensive but BEEFY. You'll have to add your own zerks though.

RodL
06/22/2013, 09:22 AM
Got the parts when I arrived home last night.All looked right and was prepared to do the replacement today. Put it on the lift, sprayed all the bolts and nuts with penetrating spray and started. Had rented a "Pickle fork" from the local O'Rileys and thought all was good. The fork hits the back side of the plate and stops before getting in far enough to pop the joint. Tried every angle possible but no go. Guess the generic tool doesn't work. Everything else seemed to look very simple, but if you can't separate the joint, the rest can't be done. Have a person who has agreed to tackle the power steering leak so I guess He will be able to do the ball joints too. Ordered a new set of front axles too. Found the CV joint covers to be the add on ones and the passenger side has come apart in a couple areas. Will just change out it all in a couple weeks. Sad that I couldn't get the simple looking ball joints done but I can't be without my vehicle right now.

Rod