View Full Version : Engine VIN

vt_maverick
06/17/2013, 10:53 AM
I'm hunting for a used Trooper for my sister-in-law and lots of CL sellers claim to have replaced the engine only XXXX miles ago. My question is how do you know if they're lying? The AR-5 transmission Greg installed in my VX has the donor Trooper's VIN plate on it - does an engine have something similar?

SilverBullet75
06/17/2013, 02:15 PM
Yes, I saw my vin on the engine, but I have been looking for it since and can't find it again!
Anyone know where to look?
Pics?

clipper 03 rodeo
06/17/2013, 02:33 PM
Not sure where the VIN is on the engine, but even if you had it how would you be able to tell when it was really swapped and what the actual mileage is on it?

Really the only way to know is if they are truthful, and have paperwork or receipts from when they purchased the engine and had it installed (if they didn't do it themselves, which most people don't). So it's kind of a crapshoot on vehicles with a different engine in them.

Buffy
06/17/2013, 02:48 PM
There is a VIN on the engine. I have a couple engines at the shop. I will snap a picture of its location and text it to ya.

vt_maverick
06/17/2013, 06:23 PM
Not sure where the VIN is on the engine, but even if you had it how would you be able to tell when it was really swapped and what the actual mileage is on it?

Really the only way to know is if they are truthful, and have paperwork or receipts from when they purchased the engine and had it installed (if they didn't do it themselves, which most people don't). So it's kind of a crapshoot on vehicles with a different engine in them.

I have to believe any swap on a 197K truck would be better than no swap at all.

clipper 03 rodeo
06/18/2013, 08:35 AM
I have to believe any swap on a 197K truck would be better than no swap at all.

That's not always true though, it all depends on how it was taken care of and what maintenance has been done on it. I've seen engines with half the mileage of others that were in horrible shape when the higher mileage one (that was taken care of) was in great shape and in perfect running condition. There are a ton of variables that need to be considered when thinking about this.

It's kind of like the 4L30-E Transmissions, I've seen guys with over 250k miles on the original tranny but it was VERY well taken care of, yet I've seen guys only go 50k miles before theirs needed replaced or completely rebuilt.

To the point though, as long as it's running and driving good I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it as long as the price is right. To me the value doesn't increase unless it's was a brand new engine replacement or it's super low mileage engine with all paperwork. If they have no proof of the mileage on the engine that was swapped in, i'd pay them for what a Trooper with 197k on the odometer is worth. That's just me though.

evillecutter
06/18/2013, 09:14 AM
in my experience the only downfall of a replaced engine would be for resale - the title has to say salvage or rebuilt (at least in indiana) and a lot of people will balk at that

iyafyl
06/22/2013, 12:48 PM
When I was looking in the mech manual for exactly how I was supposed to get the friggen starter out.....I think I remember the manual saying something about the starter being right under where the vin is located. Actually, I just looked it up and it is. The manual states "it is stamped on the identification plate, located on the left side of the transmission above the mode switch" (for the tranny VIN), and "stamped on the left rear lowerarea of the cylinder block above the starter" (for the engine VIN).

44ficus44
06/23/2013, 12:58 AM
guess u can always not say its not original? muajajaja

in my experience the only downfall of a replaced engine would be for resale - the title has to say salvage or rebuilt (at least in indiana) and a lot of people will balk at that