PDA

View Full Version : stalling problem...............

H3_VX
06/17/2013, 10:52 AM
Today right after getting a new sticker for registration on my VX it started stalling. It would start after the third or fourth attempts. Any suggestions? FYI, my Optima battery is only about one year old.

tom4bren
06/17/2013, 11:08 AM
First thing to check is to see if you have any accumulated water in the spark plug wells. Many have noted stalling problems after going through a car wash.

While you have the coils off, pull the plugs & check the gap. Over the weekend, I checked them on Boy's Ebony and they were gapped at .050 or worse. It runs much better at .035.

H3_VX
06/17/2013, 01:27 PM
Just got back from getting it checked out. I need a new fuel pump. Its gonna run me about $700. Uggggghhhhhhhhh!

JAMAS
06/17/2013, 01:39 PM
Just got back from getting it checked out. I need a new fuel pump. Its gonna run me about $700. Uggggghhhhhhhhh!

Is the pump failing, or is it clogged up?

....not sure if that is possible, but a cleaner is always a quicker/cheaper option if available.

SilverBullet75
06/17/2013, 02:18 PM
FYI, Trooper fuel pump works on the VX.

tom4bren
06/17/2013, 02:28 PM
& you don't need to drop the tank if you're willing to cut through your rear deck to access the pump.

H3_VX
06/17/2013, 03:35 PM
Apparently it is beginning to fail. I'd rather replace it with a brand new one than do a temporary fix anyway. The part itself is not the $ issue. The labor is what is the killer.

Riff Raff
06/17/2013, 03:49 PM

Yes, your problem is definately fuel related. However; before you spend $700+, first change only the "Fuel Filter" and see if that solves the problem. Always start with the cheapest solution first and then progress to the more expensive later if problem still exists. Remember, a professional mechanic is also a professional businessman in the business to make money (errr.....take your money). Thus; only change the "Fuel Filter" at this time, and then re-evaluate symptoms!!!

In addition; before starting your VX each time, it's always a good habit to first turn your key to "ACC" and then pause-n-wait until the "Air Bag" idiot light goes out-- then fully turn the key and start the VX. I do this method everytime before start-up and it fires up everytime without fail. The fuel pump is "electric", and this start-up method helps prime the fuel system before iginition. Give it a try.

:bgwb:

Y33TREKker
06/17/2013, 04:01 PM
Yes, your problem is definately fuel related. However; before you spend $700+, first change only the "Fuel Filter" and see if that solves the problem. Always start with the cheapest solution first and then progress to the more expensive later if problem still exists. Remember, a professional mechanic is also a professional businessman in the business to make money (errr.....take your money). Thus; only change the "Fuel Filter" at this time, and then re-evaluate symptoms!!!

In addition; before starting your VX each time, it's always a good habit to first turn your key to "ACC" and then pause-n-wait until the "Fasten Seat Belt" idiot light goes out-- then fully turn the key and start the VX. I do this method everytime before start-up and it fires up everytime without fail. The fuel pump is "electric", and this start-up method helps prime the fuel system before iginition. Give it a try.

X2

Good advice and easiest by far to check/replace among all other possible causes.

H3_VX
06/17/2013, 04:07 PM
thanks guys!

H3_VX
06/17/2013, 04:09 PM

In addition; before starting your VX each time, it's always a good habit to first turn your key to "ACC" and then pause-n-wait until the "Fasten Seat Belt" idiot light goes out-- then fully turn the key and start the VX. I do this method everytime before start-up and it fires up everytime without fail. The fuel pump is "electric", and this start-up method helps prime the fuel system before iginition. Give it a try.

is replacing the fuel filter a very easy job?

H3_VX
06/17/2013, 04:16 PM

:bgwb:oh, and I already had them get the new pump. Should I ask to see the old one when they are done the work?

Riff Raff
06/17/2013, 04:39 PM
is replacing the fuel filter a very easy job?

Here you go:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1673

Regarding the pre-ordered Fuel Pump-- Ask the mechanic to "wait/hold-off" on the Fuel Pump issue (reason-- say "lack of money" due to other ongoing bills; we'll have to fix it later). He should be able to return it back to his parts supplier without penalty.

H3_VX
06/17/2013, 04:54 PM
Here you go:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1673

Regarding the pre-ordered Fuel Pump-- Ask the mechanic to "wait/hold-off" on the Fuel Pump issue (reason-- say "lack of money" due to other ongoing bills; we'll have to fix it later). He should be able to return it back to his parts supplier without penalty.

how much should said fuel pump cost? I'm looking on ebay and it seems he quoted me a price that is a little high. maybe a second opinion is in order? Just fyi to those looking on to this thread, I'm not mechanically inclined, nor do I claim to be, though I do know much about it. Just no confidence to do work myself.

oh, lastly, would a mechanic lie about such repair even considering its a big job with a lot of work entailed? It seems he'd try to fix it in an easier fashion. Also considering this is a busy shop. Just wondering. Fwiw, this shop fixed other problems I've had with my vx in cheaper fashion, which makes me believe they honestly know I need said fuel pump replaced.

lol, you guys will be annoyed by me 2night, but the tech also mentioned that my bad fuel pump contributes to my high idle, which was one problem they lessened recently for me. Is that true?

LittleBeast
06/17/2013, 09:56 PM
Prices straight from Isuzu:
$424 = fuel pump

$15 = fuel filter

Prices on RockAuto:
$3-$10 = fuel filter

$25-$170 = fuel pump

evillecutter
06/18/2013, 05:57 AM
is it turning over at all? if it just clicks its prob the starter not the fuel pump - if you turn the key on but dont start it and you get pressure on the valve on the fuel line on the side of the intake manifold then you prob dont have a fuel pump problem either and i would say fuel filter

Y33TREKker
06/18/2013, 08:33 AM
...oh, lastly, would a mechanic lie about such repair even considering its a big job with a lot of work entailed? It seems he'd try to fix it in an easier fashion. Also considering this is a busy shop. Just wondering. Fwiw, this shop fixed other problems I've had with my vx in cheaper fashion, which makes me believe they honestly know I need said fuel pump replaced.
Let's just say that it wouldn't be the first time in history that an auto repair shop told a customer that their vehicle needed an extensive repair knowing that the problem was actually an easy/quick fix, then charged a lot of labor costs even though hardly any time at all was involved in making the repair.

...lol, you guys will be annoyed by me 2night, but the tech also mentioned that my bad fuel pump contributes to my high idle, which was one problem they lessened recently for me. Is that true?
The problem I personally see with that statement is that if the fuel pump was contributing to a high idle problem, there's really nothing else in the fuel system that could have been adjusted/"lessened" recently except for your throttle linkage. The paranoid side of me is starting to think that they didn't diagnose the root cause of the problem correctly the last time they "lessened" the symptoms you were experiencing, and are now trying cover their previous work by suggesting that a new fuel pump was what was needed all along, because if anything, it seems that an electric fuel pump that's failing would cause the idle to be lower, not higher. At least that diagnosis seems counter-intuitive to me anyway.

H3_VX
06/18/2013, 02:31 PM
Let's just say that it wouldn't be the first time in history that an auto repair shop told a customer that their vehicle needed an extensive repair knowing that the problem was actually an easy/quick fix, then charged a lot of labor costs even though hardly any time at all was involved in making the repair.

The problem I personally see with that statement is that if the fuel pump was contributing to a high idle problem, there's really nothing else in the fuel system that could have been adjusted/"lessened" recently except for your throttle linkage. The paranoid side of me is starting to think that they didn't diagnose the root cause of the problem correctly the last time they "lessened" the symptoms you were experiencing, and are now trying cover their previous work by suggesting that a new fuel pump was what was needed all along, because if anything, it seems that an electric fuel pump that's failing would cause the idle to be lower, not higher. At least that diagnosis seems counter-intuitive to me anyway.

I take back my "recently" statement. And I know for a fact they lessened my idle before. I could feel it without a doubt. I was having the hard shifting out of park. They sprayed my MAF and cleaned a few other parts. I just got back from the shop where they let me go in the bay and check out the repair in progress. Also showed me the new pump with new filters. I didn't realize how clean my frame was until today. Some of it is still black, which is odd because I need to replace my rockers due to rust. Its taking them a little bit longer because some of the bolts were not re-usable. He had to make some bolts to fit. I have confidence in these guys, plus not that it matters, but they have extremely high 'AAA' reviews and ratings. My mind might have misinterpreted some of the things he was explaining to me, cause all I could think at the time yesterday was "$700!!!!!!????" LOL! so maybe I heard his idle thing incorrectly. ANYHOOOOO...... :P

H3_VX
06/18/2013, 02:34 PM
is it turning over at all? if it just clicks its prob the starter not the fuel pump - if you turn the key on but dont start it and you get pressure on the valve on the fuel line on the side of the intake manifold then you prob dont have a fuel pump problem either and i would say fuel filter

Yes, it would almost turn over. No clicks. Definitely not starter.

H3_VX
06/18/2013, 02:35 PM
I would just like to add that I appreciate all of you folks for chiming in and offering your thoughts. I love you all.......................no, not in that way. LOL!

Y33TREKker
06/18/2013, 03:11 PM
I take back my "recently" statement. And I know for a fact they lessened my idle before. I could feel it without a doubt. I was having the hard shifting out of park. They sprayed my MAF and cleaned a few other parts...
I didn't doubt what you were saying or the end result you got last time, but regardless of what they may have done to lessen your idle last time, the explanation that high idle was being caused by the fuel pump still makes no sense because the fuel pressure regulator would have prevented excess gas from getting to the engine. Hope the repair takes care of the problem...but seriously....$700 for a fuel pump......[cough]ripoff![cough] Sorry, no way around that one.

H3_VX
06/18/2013, 03:16 PM
I didn't doubt what you were saying or the end result you got last time, but regardless of what they may have done to lessen your idle last time, the explanation that high idle was being caused by the fuel pump still makes no sense because the fuel pressure regulator would have prevented excess gas from getting to the engine. Hope the repair takes care of the problem...but seriously....$700 for a fuel pump......[cough]ripoff![cough] Sorry, no way around that one.

$700 includes parts and labor. What would you have expected to pay, just so I know.

Y33TREKker
06/19/2013, 09:19 AM
$700 includes parts and labor. What would you have expected to pay, just so I know.
Well, at the risk of this comment coming across as me trying to start a pissing contest (which I'm not), I'd have most likely done the work myself, so my cost wouldn't do you much good for making a comparison since it would just be whatever price I could find on parts and miscellaneous shop items like parts cleaner, etc, etc.

H3_VX
06/19/2013, 04:03 PM
Well, at the risk of this comment coming across as me trying to start a pissing contest (which I'm not), I'd have most likely done the work myself, so my cost wouldn't do you much good for making a comparison since it would just be whatever price I could find on parts and miscellaneous shop items like parts cleaner, etc, etc.

LOL, not a pissing contest at all dude. Just talking. Got my baby back today. Runs great now. No issues. Oh, also gave me a AAA discount when I paid the bill even though i'm not a AAA member.