PDA

View Full Version : loud cracking and thumps on front wheel

44ficus44
06/11/2013, 11:35 PM
so after replacing the engine all seemed well till my trip back from Arizona made my VX sick.....

I started hearing a loud rattle on my drivers front wheel. I had just gotten my wheels rotated and seemed odd.

though it might be hitting or mabe the wheel was not tight but not that...

yesterday from a stop and go it was sounding like when we usto put a card in our bike spokes to make it rattle but prob 100% louder... and outta nowhere a loud and powerful thump which made my steering pull towards that wheel... then nothing.. all was well... till that night when the same thing happened...

more oftain and even going 60 down the freeway I feel it when it pulls to the left...

taking it to the mechanic Thursday to get it looked at.... BUT

just wanted to see if anyone had this happen to your car, that way im not going to the mechanic with a blind eye.

thanks peeps

tom4bren
06/12/2013, 05:23 AM
Sounds sorta like when my CV went bad.

Are your CV boots still intact?

SilverBullet75
06/12/2013, 06:10 AM
CV
:yesgray:
Had the same symptoms

JoFotoz
06/12/2013, 07:00 AM
Yup..CV

It can bind up and release with a loud bang/thump/crackle...
....then work OK again for a while.

I'd suggest buying a replacement like the ones I sourced....
...and then remove offending side and swap in new one.

Old one can then be taken apart and possibly fixed...for a spare.

Jo

UWVX89
06/12/2013, 08:12 AM
Certainly a CV, I had mine replaced with similar problems.

Gizmo42
06/12/2013, 01:56 PM
Could just be the snap ring popped off the end of the cv. It will cause the same type of sounds. The card in the spokes sound could be the splines on the very end stripping off and the loud bang could be the splines catching and releasing. Check that first.

tom4bren
06/13/2013, 06:35 AM
Could just be the snap ring popped off the end of the cv. It will cause the same type of sounds. The card in the spokes sound could be the splines on the very end stripping off and the loud bang could be the splines catching and releasing. Check that first.

Gizmo,

I don't think that situation would last very long. Losing that snap ring would probably cause the CV to explode within a few miles (ask me how I know).

evillecutter
06/13/2013, 08:47 AM
did anyone ever find a sure fire out of the box replacement for out cv's and axles? im sure mine will go out next

tom4bren
06/13/2013, 09:32 AM
Jo did. He's beta testing them for us now.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24109

44ficus44
06/14/2013, 12:36 AM
Gizmo,

(ask me how I know).

how do your know. hajaha story telling time kids :p

44ficus44
06/14/2013, 12:37 AM
god I love this site. im gonna look into the problemstarting with these suggestions. away we gowwww

44ficus44
06/14/2013, 12:38 AM
kinda figured it might be that specific joing. glad I know now what its called hehe

tom4bren
06/17/2013, 07:07 AM
how do your know. hajaha story telling time kids :p

After I parked my VX on the side of a van on I95 a few years back, there was no body damage but some suspension tweeks happened (primarily the sector shaft on the steering box). After all repairs were made, my outer CV on the driver side exploded. I was able to convince the insurance company that it was hidden damage from the accident.

As near as I could tell, the bearing cage must have gotten cracked & it took a while for it to fail. Once the cage was no longer retaining the bearings, it acted much like the loss of the clip mentioned above. The shaft was just dangling by the inner CV.

Fun ... fun ... fun ... fun ... fun.

Luckily for me I had enough spare parts left over from a previous re-build that the axle shop was able to put it back together again.

44ficus44
06/22/2013, 12:23 PM
dam..... fireworks and sarkles bro, I just ordered the cv's yesterday. don't want my frunt end exploding on me mid freeway like my engine did hajha

After I parked my VX on the side of a van on I95 a few years back, there was no body damage but some suspension tweeks happened (primarily the sector shaft on the steering box). After all repairs were made, my outer CV on the driver side exploded. I was able to convince the insurance company that it was hidden damage from the accident.

As near as I could tell, the bearing cage must have gotten cracked & it took a while for it to fail. Once the cage was no longer retaining the bearings, it acted much like the loss of the clip mentioned above. The shaft was just dangling by the inner CV.

Fun ... fun ... fun ... fun ... fun.

Luckily for me I had enough spare parts left over from a previous re-build that the axle shop was able to put it back together again.