PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Gasket Leaks

iyafyl
06/08/2013, 12:17 PM
So I had to change the starter out and (of course) when I took apart the exhaust the gaskets were shot. I bought gaskets from carids and partsgeek that were labelled as being for a vehicross and neither of sets fit. I also noticed that the one on the driver's side seems to be a bigger diameter hole (either that or the bolts are spaced further away). I cannot find anything on a part number for the actual sizes we need or dimensions for the gaskets we use. I'm not talking about the flange gasket further up toward the manifold. I'm talking about the ones further down the pipe that you have to remove to change the starter. I'm picturing myself passing out at a stop light from fumes leaking into the cab :zzzo: It seems like the gaskets have to be the exact size because there appears to be a metal ring in the middle of the gaskets that needs to set just right where the pipes butt up against each other. Before anyone asks, I'm in Juneau Alaska and none of the muffler shops carry the gaskets. Neither does O'reilly or Napa here. I've now burnt $70 on gaskets and shipping from ordering on-line and still have leaky pipes.

yellowgizmo99
06/08/2013, 02:51 PM
I got the right ones from Carquest around here, and the one on the passenger side is larger.

vxodus
06/08/2013, 05:08 PM
:: copy that (passenger side is larger) ~ 2nd week after i got my vx, i replaced the starter only to discover it was just the starter relay ~ when i took the core in i had it tested and it was fine ~ but it was already out off the rig and i was rollin at 80k so i installed the new one because it was such a b.tch to get it off ~ with 80k on the odo didn't wanna deal with that until another 80k.

Anyway, i replaced the exhaust gaskets because like yours mine were shot ~ Carquest should be able to ship them up to you ~ guess all that was my initiation to my vx which runs like a beast now ~ good luck...

lex ::

iyafyl
06/08/2013, 05:23 PM
Unfirtunately, we don't have those here and I'm told they don't ship to Alaska. What would really help is an OEM part number, or at least dimension specs, so I can know what to look for online. Sure, I can measure a hole, but (judging from the metal ring in the middle of the gasket) the measurement would have to be very exact and probably metric.

SomeoneElse
06/09/2013, 10:56 PM
I know the local O'Reilley has the right size gaskets for the Post-Cat flanges, but even then both of my joints leak anyway (coming from Cat pipes to muffler, muffler to tailpipe). Have a really sh...crappy cherry-bomb Exhaust and I'm guessing whenever that was installed the flanges got a bit warped. The gaskets help, but I may end up stacking 2 or 3 together and hope it makes a seal. I'm dreading the day i have to work on the more forward sections

LittleBeast
06/10/2013, 12:21 AM
I have never found an after market gasket on the exhaust that I like. OEM from Isuzu are more expensive but one of those parts that are worth the extra price. Call Merlin at St Charles Isuzu and tell him what you need. (800) 727-8066

evillecutter
06/11/2013, 07:44 AM
i had a muffler shop change my starter (i bought the starter) it was about $75 in parts (gaskets and broken rusted bolts) and labor for them to change it out for me

iyafyl
06/11/2013, 06:18 PM
Yeah....I refuse to let a mechanic touch my stuff (or my VX) haha. So, I went to the only muffler shop in town and when I told him what I owned he just laughed and said there is no way that they have the gaskets I need (except for the manifold gasket). I asked him what he would have told me if I asked him to do the work and he said he would have told me I would have to wait for him to get the gaskets in stock. Yeah, that's a lie...I know I know....they would have taken on the job and used silicone or peanut butter if they had to- just to make it work for a week. I went and bought a sheet of DIY gasket-making material that looked like it would do the job (some sort of rubber with mesh metal in the middle), but no dice...leaking still. I'm guessing it's because of the lack of that darn metal ring thats in the middle of the OEM gaskets. I guess I will try St. Charles and see what they say. I have not yet ordered anything from them. I hope they ship to Alaska for decent prices.

evillecutter
06/12/2013, 07:41 AM
my muffler guy says there is nothing unusual about the vx exhaust system and he had all parts in stock

i trust this guy a lot he has worked on my last 6 vehicles - one time i even asked him to put an entire new exhaust system on my 626 because it was leaking and very loud (would have been over $400) and when i came back to pick it up and he said i didnt need it - he welded it up for $15

if thats not honest i dont know what is

same with brakes if it doesnt need it he doesnt fix it