PDA

View Full Version : Calmini lift question

Kaena Point
05/28/2013, 01:49 PM
Hi everyone: I'm Considering getting the 3" Calmini lift for my 01. It would be coming off of another VX that's been sitting without running for about 2 years. Before that, it was driven only a few hundred miles with the lift installed. Should I be worried about the springs / shocks or anything else in the lift sitting for so long? Thanks!

Marlin
05/28/2013, 01:52 PM
Probably not, springs sit under the vehicle for decades:) As for the shocks, that is a personal choice. IIRC the calmini lift is more about the diff drop/cross member and you get the actual front lift from the torsion bar crank?

Kaena Point
05/28/2013, 02:53 PM
Thanks Marlin!

tom4bren
05/28/2013, 03:25 PM
The Calmini does not include the diff drops but does include a new crossmember (I don't know why).

I've heard the the Calmini coils do droop with age. Mine still seem OK though.

The common consensus on the forum is to just get the OME 913 springs & do the torsion bar crank instead of getting any kit.

Also keep in mind that the Calmini kit has a lot of components so make sure you get the complete set (front bump stop shims, panhard rod drop bracket, crossmember, rear coil springs, & I don't know what else up front since the Previous Owner removed them & just did the TB adjustment instead).

Marlin
05/28/2013, 06:52 PM
I wonder if the cross member was in support of the more than likely diff drop? I thought it was all one thing...goes to show:)
I agree with you though, just buy some OME springs, pick a size, we run 919s in both of our ZUs, and I am glad I went that route since I tow a trailer with a decent tongue weight, crank the tbars as needed, pick up some rancho 9000s so they are adjustable to your preference, but squishy on the trail and be done with it.

JoFotoz
05/28/2013, 07:36 PM
X2 on Calmini coils drooping with age.

Just changed out my 2nd set ( went OME )

Calmini shocks are good, cross menber is fine but as stated already..NOT related to Diff drop at all.

Unless the Calminin kit is SUPER CHEAP...you are better buying OME coils and doing the T/B crank....
...and use OEM shocks...thats a few beers less than $200 if ya do it yourself.
Depending on how much lift you want/go for...be prepared for you CV boots to shred
pretty soon after lift...as they become "used" to being at a given angle...and many have bust theirs
soon after lifting.

If you need info on OME coils..go here for a great run down:-
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15476

:_beer:

Jo

tom4bren
05/29/2013, 09:17 AM
Depending on how much lift you want/go for...be prepared for you CV boots to shred
pretty soon after lift...as they become "used" to being at a given angle...and many have bust theirs
soon after lifting.

But keep in mind that there is a member (Joe Darlington) on the forum that can provide you with diff drop brackets. I can get them for you too but I'd rather you get them from him.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24115&highlight=diff+drop

Kaena Point
05/29/2013, 07:21 PM
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=588c073a5b&view=att&th=13ef33847ae29bf7&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_hhbb9p830&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P89BRQbCkrA4xg0D3bSE_2F&sadet=1369880175415&sads=cNPAjI9RtSu4q57A6_Ntz0uRlbY

Thanks everyone for the info. That's it above. I was mainly considering the calimini lift because I would be getting a good deal on it ($600 w/ installation). As you can see, it's got some big tires with not a lot of room to move. I'm not sure about what shape my shocks are in, but I know the springs are sagging. In terms of getting it back to it's original height, should I just replace the springs? I just want to be able to fit a can between the tire and the cladding.

LittleBeast
05/29/2013, 08:16 PM
$600 with installation is not that great of a deal. Get OME springs and go from there. Super easy and super cheap.