PDA

View Full Version : for new owners

drdavidr4u
11/03/2003, 08:53 AM
I have bought many cars over the years and like many folk never really read the owners manual.

Guess I'm used to Apple Macintosh computers which have always been plug and play for me. Never got in the habit of reading owners manuals!!!

This weekend I read the VX owners manual front to back and discovered simple things "I" didnt know or discover on my own. I'm sure all you vetran owners know these, but for the new owner like myself I wish to mention a few and encourage you to read the manual!!!

I didn't know that to the right side of the rear liscense plate mounting area is a recess into the plastic which is meant to be a handle to pull open the back door once you unlock it with the key! Simple, but I never discovered this.

Also learned that the dome light can be operated on its own by pushing its lense upwards....I just assumed no switched meant that it only went on when the doors were opened!!

Did you know that if you ever got a flat (stock) tire, after replacing it with the space save in the door, there is an ingenious way to secure the flat tire in the back of the VX!!! Yep...its in the manual!!!

How about the fact that the rear window defogger/deicer is on a 30 min timer incase you forget to turn it off, but the side mirror defogger/deicer will not and you need to rememebr to turn it off!! Of course when you turn off the VX you cancel all these systems.

Then there is the power and winter buttons...read the manual!!

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.........HEY...You sleeping yet??

anyway I hope I didnt bore you vetrans and maybe helped a noobie or two like myself!!!
Cheers,
Dave:)

Spike
11/03/2003, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by drdavidr4u

right side of the rear liscense plate mounting area is a recess into the plastic which is meant to be a handle

I didnt know that one ... COOL! I have been worried about breaking the key off while opening the pod bay door.

Also learned that the dome light can be operated on its own by pushing its lense upwards

learned about that one first time I sat in the VX... Looked up and wondered how the heck to turn it off... I think 'push' was the giveaway...

Did you know that if you ever got a flat (stock) tire, after replacing it with the space save in the door, there is an ingenious way to secure the flat tire in the back of the VX!!! Yep...its in the manual!!!

Yes, I Saw that in the manual.. and even used it once...

How about the fact that the rear window defogger/deicer is on a 30 min timer incase you forget to turn it off

Every vehicle I've owned has had some variation of this feature... Usually less than 30 mins though. Some even cycled on and off every 5-10 mins until you turned off the car.

but the side mirror defogger/deicer will not and you need to rememebr to turn it off!!

Learned that the hard way ... glanced down and saw the little green light still on after quite a while, and mirror was still warm... :mbrasd:

Of course when you turn off the VX you cancel all these systems.

Even the door handle? ;Dr;

Anway... seriously... thanks for pointing out some of these things... The door handle one has intrigued me, and I wanna go make sure mine works before I head out for lunch.. :naughty:

Sheik-YurBooty
11/03/2003, 01:16 PM
door handle?

driver3
11/03/2003, 01:22 PM
turning off the vx won't disable the heated mirrors.. they stay on as long as that swich is pushed in.... Those mirror heaters btw are one of my favorite things the vx has... they work great in the rain too, keeps the mirror dry so you can see...

Sheik-YurBooty
11/03/2003, 01:29 PM
Spike, what do you mean,door handle?

Anita
11/03/2003, 01:43 PM
Sheik,

It isnt really a "handle"in the terms of something to turn, but more a door pull. Its just a recessed area to the right of the license plate..

My favorite discovery was after a year of ownership, I learned that the knobs used to adjust the driver and passenger seatbacks and the levers to flip the backs up are found on both sides of each seat.

Doh! :homer:

Sheik-YurBooty
11/03/2003, 03:37 PM
:) Thanks Anita, I was'nt too sure what Spike meant re: the handle. I thought it was the front doors that he was speaking of.I was well aware of all the rest due the fact I have the owners manuel......By the way, If ya ask me, I would say that this manuel is isn't quite ready for publication yet. No detail to much of what they try to say. Just one more reason I love this site, if ya catch my drift....thx again

Spike
11/03/2003, 05:44 PM
Handle - as in something to grip the door with...

And I was joking about the handle turning off when you turn the key off...

Eckstream
04/01/2005, 12:22 PM
How about the reclining rear seats?!? I found these after a few months.... Cool thing is lay both seats flat with the headrests off and you have a nice full size bed in the back!!!!! Now thats my kinda truck!

cascabel3
04/01/2005, 02:48 PM
The rear seats recline that much :confused:

Gotta' try it soon.

WyrreJ
04/01/2005, 06:39 PM
The rear seats recline that much :confused:

ALL of the seats recline that much. You can pretty much turn the entire truck into one big lumpy mattress.

RitchieDon
04/01/2005, 08:04 PM
While we are on this subject of "stuff for newbee's", my VX didn't come with a manual. I have discovered all the things covered here so far but what the heck is the button on the center console on the driver's side of the button that operates the mirror heaters? I think it was Spazz who said it was for the ejector seat but I tried it & nothing happened (hope it is not time delayed).

Ron Pfeiffer
04/02/2005, 05:34 AM
If I recall correctly (and there is a chance that I don't :) ), that button blank next to the mirror heater was for the Japanese models - they have a button there that folds in the mirrors.

Ron

Numba1goalie
06/15/2005, 03:40 PM
Something else i read was that the black on the hood is to reduce glare.

transio
06/15/2005, 05:25 PM
Something else i read was that the black on the hood is to reduce glare.
I heard that it's to preheat your engine.... solar powered! :p

ron
06/15/2005, 07:24 PM
ALL of the seats recline that much. You can pretty much turn the entire truck into one big lumpy mattress.

Speaking of reclining seats, I found that you it's much easier to recline the front seats , while on the fly, by lifting the center console arm rest up. This allows more room to gain access to the adjustment knob nearest the console while driving and not having to open up the door.

Also, if you hear an annoying squeak coming from the front of the vehicle everytime you hit bumps on the road, good chance it's coming from the rubber stops underneath the hood. Basically, need to turn the rubber stops located on the frame to "push up" the hood enough to keep it from squeaking.

Another tip, when changing the front fog light bulbs, if you can squeeze one hand inside the tight cavity hole where you can see the back of the housing from above and grab the rear of the fog light housing with one hand and grab the front part with the other hand and twist simultaneously, the whole unit should unlock easily.

Hope this helps anyone. I'll try to add more if I can remember anymore.

Numba1goalie
06/16/2005, 02:06 AM
Intresting!