PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Hood...what should I do?

tysamigo
05/25/2013, 01:42 PM
Now that the hood's underside has Dynomat Extreme (heavy), 1/8" DynaPadding, and a brand new OEM Hood Insulator, and Hood Insert that's Carbon Fiber...

the hood is VERY heavy, I mean... heavy.

Do I need to do any kind of mod now? Like something to the lock that holds it in place or just anything? Do I need to do anything to compensate for the much heavier hood?

Just wonderin...

Riff Raff
05/25/2013, 01:47 PM
Simple-- Do more push-ups!!!

:dan_ban:

Vendetta
05/25/2013, 02:05 PM
Absolutely. Get stiffer front shocks, and the HD torsion bars from Indy4x4, and definitely a realignment as the increased weight might have pressed yours out of alignment. It's important.

That. And the push-ups.

-V

tysamigo
05/25/2013, 02:13 PM
Wow Riff Raff :laughing:
-----

Absolutely. Get stiffer front shocks, and the HD torsion bars from Indy4x4, and definitely a realignment as the increased weight might have pressed yours out of alignment. It's important.

That. And the push-ups.

-V

OK... so I can't continue to use the front stock shocks?

I had no idea... thanks

Vendetta
05/25/2013, 02:19 PM
Ty, do I look like I'm serious?

;)

Listen to Riff, he's got you covered. You're all good, man.
-V

tysamigo
05/25/2013, 02:52 PM
:bwgy:

Triathlete
05/25/2013, 03:07 PM
Speed holes!

Leon R
05/25/2013, 06:11 PM
Why would you put dynomat on your hood?

And shouldn't CF inset be lighter?

44ficus44
05/26/2013, 01:11 AM
Simple-- Do more push-ups!!!

:dan_ban:

or hood ups hajah

WILLY
05/26/2013, 09:40 AM
Why would you put dynomat on your hood?

And shouldn't CF inset be lighter?

Agreed,and that engine bay is going to get extremely hot I believe.

VXorado
05/26/2013, 11:51 AM

That. And the push-ups.

-V

:laughing: LMAO

Nice one V!!!

Scott Larson
05/26/2013, 05:22 PM
That extra weight should keep the front end more planted without the need for aero...sorry, too much Monaco F1 and Indy 500 this weekend! :slap: :_steering :rotate:

Marlin
05/28/2013, 12:43 PM
I would agree about the hot engine bay. Our confined bays already run fairly hot. Did you really have that much engine noise? I prefer to hear every tick and clank so I can immediately tell if something is wrong.
As for weight, mine is heavy now as well, with the LineX. I don't know if the OEM prop will hold up, I can see it flex when I prop the hood.

tysamigo
05/28/2013, 01:05 PM
I hadn't thought of the temp in there.... but it's to late. The deed is done. I could, however, remove the OEM Insulator from the hood and just leave the dynomat exposed...

Another thing... You know where the front license plate would normally go? Just to the LEFT and RIGHT of this area, is a small space where a lot of people will install fog lights. I think this area is for air flow... am I right? If so, then maybe I should NOT fill those holes and leave them open for air flow..

Any thoughts... comments on this???

tom4bren
05/29/2013, 09:24 AM
Agreed,and that engine bay is going to get extremely hot I believe.

I wouldn't think that the hood insulation would make that much difference IRT engine temp. Engine cooling is mostly determined by airflow through the radiator. Not much heat is dissipated through the hood anyway. The only real concern is that the Dynomat can hold up to the heat.

tysamigo
05/29/2013, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't think that the hood insulation would make that much difference IRT engine temp. Engine cooling is mostly determined by airflow through the radiator. Not much heat is dissipated through the hood anyway. The only real concern is that the Dynomat can hold up to the heat.

AAAAHHHH OK. .... well in saying that... then it probably would be best that I DONT fill in those areas in the front cladding with fog lights and that I DO leave those areas open for air flow... would you agree?

Also, I don't 4x4, my VX is more of the show car, BUT... would this be cause for me to put one of those dual fans on the radiator??? J/Wonderin...

tom4bren
05/29/2013, 10:02 AM
AAAAHHHH OK. .... well in saying that... then it probably would be best that I DONT fill in those areas in the front cladding with fog lights and that I DO leave those areas open for air flow... would you agree?

Also, I don't 4x4, my VX is more of the show car, BUT... would this be cause for me to put one of those dual fans on the radiator??? J/Wonderin...

On a hot day, you could jam a wad of paper in the holes to see if the temp starts creeping up. If it doesn't then you should be OK to install the lights.

The Aux fan can be a 'wait-n-see' thang. It's never a bad idea to have auxiliary cooling but I personally wouldn't bother unless it's needed.

WormGod
06/03/2013, 07:54 AM
+1 on the WHY.

The sticky backing of the Dynamat could loosen with engine temp and drop into the engine itself. Be mindful.