PDA

View Full Version : Rivots vs Body Bolts (replace rivots?)

tysamigo
05/22/2013, 09:43 AM
If you've ever had to remove the cladding pieces over ANY of the tire wells, you know that there are about 5 Blind Rivots in each cladding piece. I was wondering, would it be better (or not) to drill the hole on the body a little larger (the proper size, about 8-9mm) and REPLACE the rivots with body bolts?

I don't understand why rivots were used in the first place, is it just easier or cheaper for assembly purposes, or is there some type of advantage of the rivots over the body bolts.

I would much rather use body bolts so that I can remove the panels much more easily, but would not want to sacrifice some type of structural advantage if this is the case with rivots...

Any advice or info about this subject/????

Triathlete
05/22/2013, 09:56 AM
I just left them off all together. No adverse affects...they are a bit of overkill.

JoFotoz
05/22/2013, 10:10 AM
I cut the heads off the Rivets for removal ( with old chisel)....

...then punched the rivet out and used #12 sheet metal screws when replacing.

Stood up to Moab abuse just fine.

jo

tom4bren
05/22/2013, 01:26 PM
They probably used the rivets because the head is smooth. Pan head screws should work fine.

Marlin
05/24/2013, 04:07 AM
I am taking Jos advice, using #12 self tapping sheet metal screws with neoprene washers. Probably 3 in each wheel well, bottom back, bottom front, top center.

tom4bren
05/24/2013, 04:43 AM
Yah, I replaced a few of the hex heads in my wheel wells with pan heads. I won't go drilling out rivets though until I need to.

tysamigo
05/24/2013, 07:57 AM
Great advice guys, thanks :)

Remember, I am one of the weird ones who does NOT take the VX off road. Mine is more of a show vehicle (a pretty boy), but your ideas made me realize something else I can do. I purchased boxes of all of the Clips, Fasteners, Grommets, etc. that you need for both interior and exterior, including the tire well areas.

For my particular purpose I think I'm going with, NOT replacing the rivets, and instead drilling the hole a bit larger (8mm) and use the black fasteners that are used in the tire well area. This will keep the cladding up and keep the look I'm going for.

I really didn't know if the rivets were overkill or not, but apparently after seeing what you guys are saying, it definitely is....

So now I have 15 Blind Rivets I ordered from Merlin that I don't need lol :/

but
THANK YOU guys, I really appreciate you all :yeso:

44ficus44
05/26/2013, 01:15 AM
mine are gone, i guess the previous owner, when he painted the car, he just ripped them out. hasnt affected it yet.