PDA

View Full Version : Alternator

reddragon
05/22/2013, 08:22 AM
I got my alternator off and ready for a new one , I have read not to go to autozone or advance and to go with napa or Bosch , what one from napa is recommended and would you go with the napa or Bosch ? I was originally going to get mine rebuilt locally , but its a 4-5 week wait. Would it be best to keep my old one to be rebuilt if the new one doesn't work ? THANKS

tom4bren
05/22/2013, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure how much the core charge is on an alternator these days but it'd prolly be worth it to get the OEM rebuilt just in case the new one doesn't last. Save the receipt when you buy the new one in case it doesn't last, there's probably a short warrenty period.

Marlin
05/22/2013, 06:23 PM
If you get one from autozone, it comes with a lifetime warranty. I have replced the one in my wife's trooper 3 times, even got money back one time because the price had gone down. My power steering pump failed after 4 yrs, gave me a new one, no questions asked, even though the price had gone up.

reddragon
05/23/2013, 05:02 AM
The other posts on alternators said that the alternators from auto zone made their problems worse or didn't work at all . Just wanting to know the best one to get at a local auto part store

WormGod
05/23/2013, 07:02 AM
Funny, I am in the same boat. Been on the alternator wagon for a couple months now and not sure which route to take. Decisions decisions....

reddragon
05/23/2013, 07:32 AM
I haven't driven mine in a few months now as well , but my lightning needs a transmission now and I want to drive the Vehicross while I fix that

jmayer40
05/23/2013, 05:51 PM
Have a shop rebuild Alt. or/and Starters. Its much cheaper. Replacement Alts. are only 75 amps, the VX's are 90 amps. I can get mine rebuilt for 60.00..... Hmmmm, which way sounds better.?

Triathlete
05/23/2013, 05:59 PM
If you have basic tools (which obviously you do since you pulled the old one) rebuild it yourself. You can buy the kit and its a 30 minute job. Should be able to find directions online.

The kits are under $30 and here is a good how-to (http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Rebuild_an_alternator).

WormGod
05/24/2013, 06:53 AM
Sending my alternator and $30 to Billy. Check your mail sir! :p

reddragon
06/02/2013, 01:18 PM
Well , I got a reman 90amp alternator from another member and got it installed today and it starts great now , but the heat and ac still don't work

bartmanS4
06/02/2013, 06:30 PM
Sounds like a voltage regulator problem. I had the same issue. Is your charge light on at the instrument panel? If so check that your have voltage going to the heater relay in the engine fusebox.
Scott

reddragon
06/03/2013, 03:32 AM
The battery light was on before the new alternator and I didn't have heat or ac , now the light is off but still no heat or ac. I haven't checked for voltage after the new alternator yet

PK
06/03/2013, 07:56 PM
Why do you think that replacing the alternator would fix the heat or AC??
The alternator would/has fixed the battery light being on, but it has no connection to your other problems.

What are the symptons of the heat and AC problems??
Fan not running?? or only running on high speed??
No change in heat output regardless of lever position??

Tell us what is happening (or not happening) and we will have a go at giving some advice.

Regards

PK

reddragon
06/04/2013, 06:21 AM
From what I have read and as bartman said if the voltage regulator is bad the heat and ac won't work. I have no fan at all , no noises from the compressor and no lights on the buttons but the backlights work , I have had the dash off and everything is connected

tom4bren
06/04/2013, 06:23 AM
Have you checked all of the fuses (both in the cabin & under the hood)?

reddragon
06/04/2013, 07:21 PM
I rechecked all the fuses and relays tonight and found a bad relay , I replaced it and now everything works. Thanks for all the help

tom4bren
06/05/2013, 07:03 AM
Cool (literally):)

I was going to suggest the relays next so I'm glad you found the gremlin.

reddragon
06/06/2013, 10:45 AM
I almost didn't recheck the relays because I checked them before I replaced the alternator , so I guess always check and recheck . I was out for a drive last night and some a**hole driving the other direction threw a strawberry and hit the center of my windshield and I found out my washer fluid pump is not working

MSHardeman
06/06/2013, 11:12 AM
The pump may be working, but the tube that is connected to it may have been disconnected. This has happened to me a couple of times and it's a pretty easy fix. First thing to check would be if your washer reservoir is holding fluid. If it isn't then all you need to do is reconnect the tube that, eventually, runs up to the "squirters" on the hood. The tube and the connection can be tough to get to and you may need to take the reservoir out in order to make the connection.

If the reservoir does hold fluid then I would check any fuse associated with the pump to rule that out first.

reddragon
06/10/2013, 07:42 PM
I replaced the pump and the pump would run and still no washer fluid , ended up finding a clogged tube