PDA

View Full Version : Website for my VX

tysamigo
05/17/2013, 08:30 AM
I am soooooo obsessed with my vx (aren't we all right) that I want to have my own small site (like a few other members) to show all of the projects I've done with my VX. Of course I will still be here, but I would like to have my own area to show TONS of pics, HOW TO's (step by step), videos, my collectibles, etc.

What is the best site or service to use (either free or for cheap). I wouldn't mind paying for my own domain, but I don't know much after that about whee to host, etc. I need something simple where I can log on, upload pics/video etc. and be done with it. Can someone point me in the right direction? What should I use?

twalker920
05/17/2013, 08:36 AM
Check out Rackspace.com.

I host my own domain there (rev92.com) and it's very cheap with great support (they really are good, and always available, and can be understood).

I think you get space for a website when you host a domain, I just haven't used it. And they have tools to create websites too.

Vendetta
05/17/2013, 08:48 AM
Rackspace is good, but I don't know about cheap... GoDaddy is definitely cheap, and certainly more than good enough for non mission-critical stuff such as personal sites like the one you're contemplating. There are lots of options out there, just Google "web hosting," or "cheap web hosting." ;)

Good luck,
-V

twalker920
05/17/2013, 09:15 AM
My 2 cents:

I have used GoDaddy and 1&1, and their support SUCKS. Rackspace support people are borderline fanatic about helping, and I have never been left without an answer by them, unlike the other two. I think I pay $4/mo for my own domain name with Rackspace.

But, do some research and pick one you like.

Vendetta
05/17/2013, 09:32 AM
My 2 cents:

I have used GoDaddy and 1&1, and their support SUCKS. Rackspace support people are borderline fanatic about helping, and I have never been left without an answer by them, unlike the other two. I think I pay $4/mo for my own domain name with Rackspace.

But, do some research and pick one you like.

Nice! I've only used Rackspace for high-end hosting (insanely high-end with a dedicated concierge) and experienced the fanaticism you describe. I'm VERY glad to hear that that mentality permeates down to the lower levels of service and will investigate using them for smaller sites too. Thanks!
-V

Anita
05/18/2013, 07:19 PM
You could put a pretty decent website together on wix.com for free provided you use their wacky website name. I used my own domain name and the price went to $99 a year. Just my experience-- I'm not knowledgable about site hosting just design

Knigh7s
05/18/2013, 08:56 PM
There are a few good blog options out there you can use for free. blogger.com, wordpress.com. If you go your own route and want to host one yourself, wordpress.org and joomla.org have good CMS/Blog platforms that you can self host...

But if you don't want to deal with all that setup, I created MyVehicross.com just for someone like you! :bgwo: photo uploads, blogging and a wiki for your how-to's you create. All to compliment vx.info on the side. (site will be down for a few days as I'm moving it to a new more reliable host.)

tysamigo
05/20/2013, 09:57 AM
But if you don't want to deal with all that setup, I created MyVehicross.com just for someone like you! :bgwo: photo uploads, blogging and a wiki for your how-to's you create. All to compliment vx.info on the side. (site will be down for a few days as I'm moving it to a new more reliable host.)

YES, this is EXACTLY what I want to do. I have done soooooo much to my VX that it only makes sense to share everything I've learned, replacement part numbers, tips/tricks, etc. and I would love to do it on my own site...

So what would it take to enlist your help ??? :bwgy: :winky:

nfpgasmask
05/20/2013, 11:13 AM
I use Joker.com to register my domains, and then I use Fatcow for hosting my sites. They are not too bad. GoDaddy sucks, and the guy who runs it sucks too.

:) Bart

Knigh7s
05/20/2013, 11:26 AM
I've got no problems helping you out. I've run all my sites on Lypha.com for the past 10 years, but the last 3 has been really difficult with them. So I'm now transferring all my sites over to dreamhost.com where you can also register your domain names. If you follow this link (http://lifehacker.com/5977662/get-a-year-of-dreamhost-our-favorite-hosting-service-for-20) you could get a great deal on hosting for the first year.

You can hit me up on Google Hangouts (email in profile) if you need any more help to get started.

JAMAS
05/21/2013, 06:34 AM
www.NameCheap.com is a good one.