PDA

View Full Version : Transmission - What Should I Do?

gunbarrelvx
05/17/2013, 08:16 AM
Just took my VX in for a transmission service. They told me the seals are leaking where the transmission connects to the engine. To fix it, I am looking at $1,100.00. This is a gut wrenching thing to come to terms with considering I have owned this car for less than 8 months and dumped a ton of cash into it to make it perfect. It has 128k miles on the clock currently and it has been babied to date.

So my question is this.

Is $1,100 a fair price for this job?
What is the likelihood of this happening again 40,000 miles down the road?

Thoughts?

Y33TREKker
05/17/2013, 09:23 AM
Get a 2nd opinion before making any decision to spend that much.

Vendetta
05/17/2013, 09:41 AM
Few things. First, get a second opinion like Trekker suggests before you do anything. Second, what symptoms brought you in for the service to begin with? Third, 40K is a lot miles on top of a car with already a lot of miles (not too many, or meant in a bad way of course), and getting there will take a few years I'm guessing. If spending a thousand or two on miscellaneous stuff during that time to keep her going is not right for you, then you might want to consider other options.

Fingers crossed for ya!
-V

gunbarrelvx
05/17/2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys. I intend to keep the VX so I plan to go through with it after I get another quote to compare. I have 10k invested easily in this car at this point and I am fine with it. (Beats a car payment) I keep my vehicles until about 180,000 miles and don't rely on them for DD duties anyway. Just have this fear or revisiting this problem after fixing it, a few years down the road. Took me 13 years to drive to 200k on my Cherokee and I plan to keep the VX for almost as long.

Y33TREKker
05/17/2013, 12:00 PM
I'm curious what symptoms you saw or what the shop told you that they saw too. Had you actually noticed leaked fluids underneath your VX before you took it to that shop?

gunbarrelvx
05/17/2013, 12:48 PM
Yes. Small spots started showing up a week or two ago. That's why I wanted to get it looked at. They said it was very low on transmission fluid. When they filled it, the leak became evident from the leak between the transmission and the engine.

Y33TREKker
05/17/2013, 03:06 PM
Maybe you could get together with a few of the other Denver area VX owners for a driveway repair party and do the repair yourself? The instructions from the factory repair manual don't look all that involved anyway.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/VX_Transmission_-_Front_Oil_Seal_Converter_Housing_.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/23769)

gunbarrelvx
05/19/2013, 11:12 AM
Called three places and had some quotes worked up. I am going through with the transmission seal and rebuild. Definitely a setback on my budget for the summer but such is life.

I drove the VX out of the garage yesterday and knew that instant that the investment was worth the work. Just love this little buggy of mine too much.

Y33TREKker
05/19/2013, 04:26 PM
...I drove the VX out of the garage yesterday and knew that instant that the investment was worth the work. Just love this little buggy of mine too much.
Yeah, it's definitely too late. From the sound of it, you're already a VX goner. :p

Hope the repair goes smoothly.

HeckaTrebeka
05/20/2013, 05:25 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat as you are, gunbarrelvx. I just put $1600 in it at the shop for it's 100k service and to have some seals replaced. Now my trans is slipping. I wanted to take it to CO in August, but now I'm thinking that it's going to have to stay home. I'm so disappointed. I'd like to do a manual trans swap in it, though. That'll get rid of many problems.

Y33TREKker
05/20/2013, 05:51 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat as you are, gunbarrelvx. I just put $1600 in it at the shop for it's 100k service and to have some seals replaced. Now my trans is slipping. I wanted to take it to CO in August, but now I'm thinking that it's going to have to stay home. I'm so disappointed. I'd like to do a manual trans swap in it, though. That'll get rid of many problems.
With this thread and Jeeperkate's, it's starting to sound like a person with trans shifting problems would be better of just finding a low(ish) mileage transmission at a U-Pull yard for a swap than to have any kind of repairs attempted.

gunbarrelvx
05/20/2013, 09:24 PM
I am taking the gamble rebuilding it this week. If it doesn't work, I am going to really consider doing the manual swap.

gunbarrelvx
05/22/2013, 07:47 AM
Update: Got off the phone with the transmission shop. During the $1100 seal replacement, they discovered a lot of things wrong.

Looks like it needs a complete rebuild at a total for everything at $2700. The mechanic seems very fond of the 430L transmission. He said he can rebuild it with updated, stronger, and better spec'd quality parts than what came from the factory. Also, it will come backed with a 20,000 mile warranty.

So is it worth it? I am going to be broke the rest of the summer if I go forward. Sitting on the fence with this predicament. I have owned this car 8 months and sunk close to $3k on top of the already $6k price tag.

Half convinced to just sell the damn thing at this point. It is nearly perfect outside of the transmission.

Just needed to vent.

evillecutter
05/22/2013, 07:52 AM
Update: Got off the phone with the transmission shop. During the $1100 seal replacement, they discovered a lot of things wrong.

Looks like it needs a complete rebuild at a total for everything at $2700. The mechanic seems very fond of the 430L transmission. He said he can rebuild it with updated, stronger, and better spec'd quality parts than what came from the factory. Also, it will come backed with a 20,000 mile warranty.

So is it worth it? I am going to be broke the rest of the summer if I go forward. Sitting on the fence with this predicament. I have owned this car 8 months and sunk close to $3k on top of the already $6k price tag.

Half convinced to just sell the damn thing at this point. It is nearly perfect outside of the transmission.

Just needed to vent.

im in the same boat gunbarrel ($9k in on a $6k car) - noone is going to want to buy a vx with a bad transfer case or transmission they will have to put $3k into to fix so there is almost no other option than paying for a rebuild - the real question is will you keep it after its fixed or drive it until the next major catastrophe? i still have not decided...

Mile High VX
05/22/2013, 08:01 AM

Just needed to vent.

So for an additional $1,600 you get a complete rebuild instead of just a new seal. It would be worth it for me even if I were just going to have the work done and then sell it. Seems like the return on that investment is the best thing to do. Plus, you'll just fall in love with it again on the way home and keep it anyway!

evillecutter
05/22/2013, 08:09 AM
Plus, you'll just fall in love with it again on the way home and keep it anyway!

this is what im afraid of!!!!! :p

gunbarrelvx
05/22/2013, 08:35 AM
I hate you guys sometimes. Just called and said to get the parts ordered and work underway.

I am half tempted to sell it after the transmission. This emptied all my savings and summer spending money. Plus, the engine problems associated with this car has me spooked.

Maybe I will have my girlfriend drive it home so as not to fall in love with it again.

IndianaVX
05/22/2013, 11:40 AM
I am probably not far behind on the transmission rebuild/replacement. but, I am curious. I have searched on threads about transfer case with no luck. my transmission is slipping going from 3rd to 4th. could the transfer case cause any slipping? I changed fluid in transmission, and shifts are smoother, but still slipping. I haven't done anything with transfer case....not sure how to change fluid on it. found the drain plug, not sure where the fill plug is.

evillecutter
05/23/2013, 07:10 AM
I am probably not far behind on the transmission rebuild/replacement. but, I am curious. I have searched on threads about transfer case with no luck. my transmission is slipping going from 3rd to 4th. could the transfer case cause any slipping? I changed fluid in transmission, and shifts are smoother, but still slipping. I haven't done anything with transfer case....not sure how to change fluid on it. found the drain plug, not sure where the fill plug is.

tcase should have nothing to do with your shifting problems - if your 4lo works and you get no add nooises when turning i would check the tcase fluid , make sure its topped off, and forget about it -the borg warner tcases we have are supposed to be extremely reliable i have no idea what happened to mine - i think im just unlucky - as far as changing the fluid we use transmission fluid in the tcase not gear oil - and the fill plug should be above the drain plug somewhere i dont have the vx at my house or i would check for sure but i remember it was not difficult at all to add/change fluid - basically take out both plugs, drain, replace bottom plug, fill till it pours out of top plug, and replace top plug - im pretty sure you do not have to have the vehicle running like when you add trans fluid

gunbarrelvx
05/23/2013, 08:15 AM
Paid for the job yesterday. Kind of excited. I spent a half hour at the transmission place learning a lot about the transmission.

I took a bunch of pictures of the project. The owner (Dave) broke down the piece by piece process of how he is addressing the transmission. He used to manage a fleet of Isuzus and could rattle off every update and upgrade to make the transmission last.
He is so familiar that he even had some spec's drawn up from working on this transmission in the past that he is running additional parts on a CNC mill to address the weaknesses. He also cited a lot of the problems people have with sourcing parts for the transmission. Very cool guy.

I have renewed faith after learning so much from someone who has spent this much time working on Isuzu transmissions.

eternal21
05/23/2013, 08:47 AM
If you can baby it along for a little bit longer, I'd start sourcing the parts for a manual swap and get it over with.

Another alternative is to pick up a tranny like this one for a few hundred, http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ptd/3793025619.html , pay a shop to go through it to make sure all is well, and then swap it in. That will buy you some time and save you some $.

But no matter what, I'd still be looking at a 5MT as the long-term solution.

nocturnalVX
05/23/2013, 10:00 AM
I bought mine for almost $30,000 (not counting interest), and have dumped a bunch more cash in mods/repairs over the years. The only question is "Do I want to keep the VehiCROSS?"... If your answer is yes, then you have we'll over $20k to spend before you catch up to me.
:_beer:

HeckaTrebeka
05/23/2013, 09:42 PM

Man, I'm in the same exact boat as you are, my friend(though, I do not know of anybody fond of the 4L30E trans around here). Unfortunately, I do not have $2700 in savings to put into my VX.... I do, however, have a line of credit... but should I rebuild? I'm more inclined to just let the my trans blow up and then swap out for an AR5 MT.

gunbarrelvx
05/24/2013, 05:21 AM
Hecka, I would be going the same route with the manual trans if it wasn't for this shop. If you think the trans is on it's way out, I would start stockpiling parts for the build now. After this is over, I will probably spend the winter doing the same for the future.

Mile High VX
05/24/2013, 07:24 AM
Paid for the job yesterday. Kind of excited. I spent a half hour at the transmission place learning a lot about the transmission.

I took a bunch of pictures of the project. The owner (Dave) broke down the piece by piece process of how he is addressing the transmission. He used to manage a fleet of Isuzus and could rattle off every update and upgrade to make the transmission last.
He is so familiar that he even had some spec's drawn up from working on this transmission in the past that he is running additional parts on a CNC mill to address the weaknesses. He also cited a lot of the problems people have with sourcing parts for the transmission. Very cool guy.

I have renewed faith after learning so much from someone who has spent this much time working on Isuzu transmissions.

What shop are you using? Fair number of VXers in the Denver area and we might need their expert service someday...but hopefully not...;)

IndianaVX
05/24/2013, 07:40 AM
I made a mistake by going over to the planet, and found a PDF file on rebuilding the transmission. spent last night going thru the file, looking at the pictures, and my vx service manual...Yup, Looks pretty straight forward....Rebuild kits are not too crazy expensive....I could probably find the time.....the guy who wrote it considered himself a shade tree mechanic from Switzerland and he was successful......

Please someone, talk me out of this.....ha!

IndianaVX
05/24/2013, 07:45 AM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=4l30e%20rebuild%20kit%20hans&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fscottj.info%2Ffiles%2Fisuzu%2F4l3 0e.pdf&ei=qnyfUeykCaa7ywHOhYHwDQ&usg=AFQjCNEMNpI_v4mpAKDZt82tso5Ca-DNRQ

CowboyErik
07/24/2013, 09:32 AM
The general motors 4L30E that all VX's have is a nightmare, I've said it before, say it again, the 4L30E was never meant for 4 wheel drive all the time; it was meant for light duty passenger cars known as a 4L30, then hardened a little and stuck in VX, everyone will have to rebuild; I've seen the insides of mine, went thru total rebuild last year, EVEN MY CASE had to be replaced cause of worn grooves or input shafts/seals had grooves worn in them; I'm good now, and it drives great, 1 year warranty; spent nearly 2K; nice thing at the time was the entire exhaust had to come off so I spent days sanding, finishing and then painting all the parts, used stainless steel bolts to put it back; everyone should call and ask shops in their area "HOW MUCH TO REBUILD A 4L30E"? Do not tell them you have an Isuzu, if the shop is smart they will know what a 4L30E is and give you a flat rate price, they will put in a master rebuild kit, and all the surprises will still be in your flat rate price; have them give you your exhaust system, clean it, get seals from autozone or napa, screws and all and use high temp paint to preserve your VX, some oem parts are avail

CowboyErik
07/24/2013, 09:33 AM
and our intercoolers that are part of the radiator? they are a joke, I saw one, it offers no cooling, get a new radiator, cap the intercooler and install a real tranny cooler infront of and behind grill of your VX to really cool tranny fluid!

evillecutter
07/24/2013, 11:04 AM
it cant help that what seems like half of all vx's have had hitches fabricated on them and tow things that the vehicle was never intended tow - VERY hard on a transmission that was not designed for that - even more so on a trans that has problems on its own

tom4bren
07/24/2013, 11:11 AM
it cant help that what seems like half of all vx's have had hitches fabricated on them and tow things that the vehicle was never intended tow - VERY hard on a transmission that was not designed for that - even more so on a trans that has problems on its own

So .... it's all my fault???

:):):)

jmayer40
07/25/2013, 05:05 AM
I would do the DIY way. Rebuilt trans is only 795.00..Or even junk yard pick..your paying labor mostly..... If your into doing it yourself , you can everything and rebuild cheaper. Even upgrade servers... researched it for future plans...Good Luck..

gunbarrelvx
07/25/2013, 05:28 AM
Update. Had the VX fixed and have been running it for close to two months. Transmissionw works perfectly and the shop warrantied the work for 20,000 miles. The peace of mind is nice.

evillecutter
07/25/2013, 01:18 PM
So .... it's all my fault???

:):):)

lol wasnt point the finger of shame or anything just sayin!

vt_maverick
07/27/2013, 12:37 PM

Didn't Troopers (which are heavier than the VX) offer a tow hitch as a factory option with the same 3.5/430LE drive train combo? I think the "never intended to tow" thing was more related to the short wheel base.