PDA

View Full Version : Need a Motor

skidoo1969
05/11/2013, 06:39 PM
I recently bought a 99 Vehicross and the motor blew today. Looking for a motor. Anybody have one or can point me in a direction to look for one? Thanks

bartmanS4
05/11/2013, 06:53 PM
Ugh, that really sux. You can use a '98-'01 Trooper engine. It is a direct swap. There is one for sale here in Colorado on CL but I'm sure you could find one closer to you.
Good Luck,
Scott

skidoo1969
05/11/2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks. I will try a local search on Monday if not, I'm afraid I'll have to do an online purchase and pray that people are honest about the milage. I love the truck but didnt realize how hard it would be to find parts.

I also need window gaskets and actuators. Any idea where I can find them?

Thanks again.

Gussie2000
05/11/2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks. I will try a local search on Monday if not, I'm afraid I'll have to do an online purchase and pray that people are honest about the milage. I love the truck but didnt realize how hard it would be to find parts.

I also need window gaskets and actuators. Any idea where I can find them?

Thanks again.

Rebuilt is also a option

Marlin
05/12/2013, 04:38 AM
Sucks to hear about the engine.
Since some of our other "senior" members are in Moab right now, I will cover the general response you would get:)

Use the search feature at the top of the screen. Just about every question you will have has been covered in great detail at some point, if you can't ind what you are looking for, feel free to ask.
We have quite a knowledge base to share, but it gets frustrating hearing the same question over and over again.

Welcome to the family, sounds like you have some research to do, there are some great threads to read with info about the VX that should be perused prior to purchase, covering what parts can be found, what our common issues are, where to find parts and the concept that to own a VX requires deep pockets, or the ability to do your own work, or a lot of down time for the truck while saving money to fix random broken stuff.

Actuators are available in new stock, try isuzuparts.com. The motor is the same in the trooper, and I would guess the rodeo. Try hitting the junkyards.

As for the engine, I would find a rebuilt engine from a reputable dealer or even better, go to the 3.2L. There are threads on here about the swap.

Good luck, and once again, welcome to the obsession!

Scott Harness
05/12/2013, 05:58 AM
Welcome! click on web links...parts...All Hyundai and Isuzu Recycling is where I got my motor. It's been 3-4 years, several trips to Moab and it's still running good. Good Luck

ssignature
05/17/2013, 05:30 PM
The only real difference in the Rodeo 3.2 is that 2000 and up uses drive-by-wire and you'd have to use the intake and butterfly from the old engine. Otherwise it's a direct swap. Even the 3.5 ECU works with the 3.2. Rodeo engines are very common. Junk yards are full of 'em. Honda Passport is just a re-badged Rodeo.

FlyingV77
05/17/2013, 09:32 PM
When I was looking for my crankshaft I belive merlin @ st charles isuzu could still get new longblocks. The newer ones with the oil consomption fix.

44ficus44
05/18/2013, 11:55 AM
same thing happened to me bro. dam timeing belt..... i was able to find a vehicross one in LA but i sure wish i coulda known that the trooper engine fit.... :( mabe just woulda replaced the rods , heads and belt instead of a new one

VX KAT
05/18/2013, 02:37 PM
same thing happened to me bro. dam timeing belt..... i was able to find a vehicross one in LA but i sure wish i coulda known that the trooper engine fit.... :( mabe just woulda replaced the rods , heads and belt instead of a new one

you said in the other thread your engine "blew up" - - and you mention timing belt here….are you saying your engine was damaged when the timing belt broke?
If you are saying you got damage, we have a non-interference engine so the engine doesn't blow up when the timing belt blows, like other engines do.

Just for clarity, and for other members' benefit, can you give details of what happened?

44ficus44
05/23/2013, 11:07 AM
hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just got my motor in, pritty nice.... but wish i coulda seen this...... mabe itle help u out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Isuzu-Rodeo-Trooper-Vehicross-3-5L-REMANUFACTURED-Engine-ZERO-Miles-6VE1-6VD1-/281097651183?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4172b9c3ef&vxp=mtr

Leon R
05/24/2013, 12:47 AM
Just heads up, bare long blocks, like this, still require a lot of work/parts/gaskets to be ready for install. Those extras could easily add another $500-$1000 on top of "engine swap" price.

And another point, they say that crank shafts are "ground and polished". Well... That is where you really need to know and trust your engine builder... I would NEVER grind a crank if didn't need it and most can get by with simple polish job. It is possible that they don't automatically grind them ether (but used it as boiler plate), however, when they say stuff like that, it makes me question them...

44ficus44
05/24/2013, 01:36 AM
well looked good hajaha.

Just heads up, bare long blocks, like this, still require a lot of work/parts/gaskets to be ready for install. Those extras could easily add another $500-$1000 on top of "engine swap" price.

And another point, they say that crank shafts are "ground and polished". Well... That is where you really need to know and trust your engine builder... I would NEVER grind a crank if didn't need it and most can get by with simple polish job. It is possible that they don't automatically grind them ether (but used it as boiler plate), however, when they say stuff like that, it makes me question them...

VX KAT
06/01/2013, 11:02 AM
you said in the other thread your engine "blew up" - - and you mention timing belt here….are you saying your engine was damaged when the timing belt broke?
If you are saying you got damage, we have a non-interference engine so the engine doesn't blow up when the timing belt blows, like other engines do.

Just for clarity, and for other members' benefit, can you give details of what happened?

ficus-- Can you give details and confirm if the timing belt caused damage or not?
We have a non-interference engine, and as I understand it, when the timing belt blows, it does not damage/destroy the engine, so I really want to know what your scenario was. Thanks!!

Vendetta
06/01/2013, 01:06 PM
Skidoo, I found a motor today in a local (Long Island) salvage yard. ~60K miles on the odometer, they're asking 900 but might take a few bucks less. PM me for details if you're interested.
-V

44ficus44
06/01/2013, 11:43 PM
ficus-- Can you give details and confirm if the timing belt caused damage or not?
We have a non-interference engine, and as I understand it, when the timing belt blows, it does not damage/destroy the engine, so I really want to know what your scenario was. Thanks!!

yes i can kat. engine had 72,000 miles on it . timing belt lost 5 teeth, siezed the motor and bent the rods in. warped the heads etc. fluids were good, temp never went up. just siezed in the highway.

they are saying that alot of asian imports are doing that. even the newer jettas.. :(

so if theres anyone in the 100,000+ miles.. id get that belt changed. :(