PDA

View Full Version : Another shock thread (after reading over 20)

VXD959
05/07/2013, 09:18 AM
Here we go again with another yet shock question:

The previous owner of my 99 Ironman replaced the stock shocks with some cheap Gabriel's. I don't like the buttery, bounciness of the ride with these shocks. It's so bad that I don't feel that comfortable driving it!

I need to replace these shocks with mostly on-road (not off-road) quality shocks. I would prefer if someone has good OEM shocks sitting around and willing to sell for a good price :winkgray:... By the way, I have the 18 inch wheels on it.

After reading several posts and threads, it appears that the most common replacement options are:

Rancho RS9000
Rancho RS5000
Bilstein
Calmini
Monroe (heavy duty)
Gabriel Ultra

Perhaps someone should start a survey / poll regarding shocks.

Any feedback on the above? Most Vxrs seem to lean towards the Rancho RS9000XLS (adjustable). I'm not planning to lift the VX and/or do any serious off-roading. I'm about to replace the CV boots, and will take the opportunity to replace the shocks at the same time.

Thanks!

Vendetta
05/07/2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah, plenty of feedback in those 20 threads you referenced. But here, I'll summarize:

Get the Rancho 9000XLs.

-V

tom4bren
05/07/2013, 09:48 AM
I was running OEM shocks up front & Rancho's out back. That is what the previous owner had on it when I got it.

I recently changed over to Old Man Emu (OME) Nitro Chargers that I got from Independent4X4:

https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=OME+charger&mmsid=447ae9f22c28fa896411aaad98a216ee

So far I likes 'em.

I kept the front OEM shocks but one of them has obviously lost pressure (it returns but sloooooowly). I trashed the Rancho's (they were so rusted out that you couldn't even tell they were Rancho's). If you're interested in the front shocks & can find someone to recharge them, I'd be willing to part with them at a 'killer deal'. Make a site donation, PM me your addy, & they'll magically appear on your doorstep a week later. (The ones from Triathlete below are a much better option though).

EDIT:

Don't listen to V. Get OME:)

Just kidding. The Rancho's are a good option. But, I know me, I'd never use the adjustment feature.

bartmanS4
05/07/2013, 10:18 AM
I think if you run a survey you will mostly get the results of what people have not what is "Best". I think the best opinions will come from those that have tried a few different options like Tom. I have the RS9000xls and I like them, they are definitely softer than my OEMs that I removed. Two of which weren't working. But I don't have anything else to compare them to. I have noticed that they feel softer since I did the 5 spd swap because I have better acceleration now. I should probably adjust them up but haven't bothered.
Seems like fewer people have gone with the OMEs but I've never heard one bad thing about them.

tom4bren
05/07/2013, 11:58 AM
What he said.:)

How do you measure performance to determine what is best in regard to a shock?

It's all about ride quality which is very much a preference thang. How your ride is equipped plays heavily into how the shock will feel.

I basically described my setup to the guy at Indy & told him that I was mostly interested in a crossover that handled well on road & wouldn't fail with light 4 wheeling. He recommended the Rancho if you'll be using the adjustment feature & OME if you won't.

Since I drive a Proton & the OME are yellow with black boots had NOTHING to do with my decision.:)

BigSwede
05/07/2013, 01:36 PM
FWIW I have loved the OMEs on my various Troopers...tried a couple others but have always gone back to the Nitrochargers. They are very durable and ride great.

Note that the Trooper spec Nitrochargers are a bit longer than factory, intended to work with their OME lift springs. I doubt this matters much either way, but it is a nice touch for those with a li'l lift.

Triathlete
05/07/2013, 02:46 PM
I have 2 oem fronts. (http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23426&highlight=shocks)

VXD959
05/07/2013, 03:15 PM
Is it safe to have different shocks (front and rear)?

Triathlete
05/07/2013, 03:20 PM
I do :)

VXD959
05/07/2013, 03:46 PM
I do :)

Check your PM

ABDragonVX
05/07/2013, 03:50 PM
My buddy just put 9000xl's on his rodeo, I highly recommend them.

tom4bren
05/08/2013, 05:29 AM
Is it safe to have different shocks (front and rear)?

Absolutely.

Even if you use the same brand for all 4 corners, you'll still have different shocks front & back.

The OME don't even have a boot for the rear. It's a plastic sheath. The rear is a much longer shock & have much more travel as well.

WormGod
05/08/2013, 06:49 AM
The Ranchos are great, just don't expect much life out of them. I live on the rust coast, so I am lucky to have them for 5years before looking like the Titanic's hull. Don't know what they are doing there, but they seriously prefer you buying them over and over instead of putting some better corrosion protection on them.

Vendetta
05/08/2013, 12:34 PM
Don't listen to V. Get OME:)

Just kidding. The Rancho's are a good option. But, I know me, I'd never use the adjustment feature.

Heh... Let's see how it ends, my friend. :smilewink

But even still, perhaps my post was a bit... cavalier? So let me add:
The OEM shocks are great if you can find a recently serviced set in great shape, or a place to have your own rebuilt/recharged as needed.
The OME (Old Man Emu) shocks I can't comment on, but I have their 913 springs and can only say good things about them.
The Rancho 9000XLs are what I selected, precisely because I wanted the option to adjust the firmness through a range until I found one I felt suited my driving style. Full disclosure: I have NOT adjusted my shocks since the day I installed them (http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23161). 6 front, 7 rear.

And, of course I kept my OEM shocks for that rainy day when I have them completely rebuilt. :evil:

-V

VXD959
05/09/2013, 12:24 PM
I kept reading other threads...and I'm still trying to decide. The good news is that Rancho has a $100 rebate if you buy 4 RS9000XL shocks. Best price so far is at
http://www.my4by.com/rs9000xl-shocks-by-part-number-763.html?page=4

However, I read that even at level 9 the Rancho 9000s are softer than the stock ones. What settings do you usually have for your 9000s? Vendetta said that his setting is 6-7. Rancho website says that a 4-6 setting is similar to the Rancho RS5000
http://www.gorancho.com/shocks.php?shock=RS9000XL

Member "transio" swears that the Bilsteins are very close to the stock shocks and raves about them...The fact that he mentioned that his VX rides like a BMW is a plus (since I own a X5 and really like the handling).
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4376&page=3

I would try to OMEs, but the yellow color won't do well with the Ironman.

The clock is ticking and I'm still debating the issue...:_confused

tom4bren
05/09/2013, 12:45 PM
I would try to OMEs, but the yellow color won't do well with the Ironman... I'm still debating the issue...:_confused

Not to add to the consternation of your decision but even lifted the shocks aren't visible on mine so I don't think you'd hate the look.

I'm guessing that you'd be happiest with the Rancho shocks since they are adjustable.

Triathlete
05/09/2013, 06:46 PM
My front ranchos are set at 9...

As far as shock color....thats what spray paint is for ;)

VXD959
05/29/2013, 12:20 PM
I got the Ranchos RS9000XL from http://www.my4by.com/rs9000xl-shocks...63.html?page=4

They were at my door 2 days later!!! I was able to install them during Memorial weekend. What a difference vs. the Gabriel shocks that the previous owner installed to make the ride "softer"! Now I feel in control!!!

I set them at 6 (front) and 7 (back) as suggested here.

I also installed a powered subwoofer (Infinity Basslink) that I had sitting around plus installed new front speakers. Love the sound of the stereo system now!!! (despite having blown rear stock speakers --I'm just using the front ones and it sounds great as is!!!)

Thank you all for your input!!!