PDA

View Full Version : Drag racing my 2001 Proton (also: VX weight)

Leon R
05/06/2013, 07:04 AM
This weekend I attended import drag race with my other car club (New England Club DSM), since my race car wasn't quite ready yet, I decided to bracket race my VX! I knew this wasn't a rocket ship and did it just for fun. Plus, I searched on line and fund that VX are pretty rare at drag strips :).

I am was a bit apprehensive about racing 167k miles VX, with original engine/transmission, but if it broke, that would just give me an excuse to modify it . I have to report that no such luck!

The VX performed flawlessly, be it very slow! My 3 runs were 17.10, 17.08 and 17.05, at 80mph, 60' time was all in 2.5. Transmission shifted well, right at the redline and if I was any good at the sportsman tree, I could have done well. But I red lighted in the first round and was out (usually, I race heads-up, using a ProTree)

I could really feel my 285/60/18 Zeons slowing me down! Between of reduced gear ratio (taller tire), higher weight, and literally being glued to the track (dragstrip is treated with glue-like substance to promote better traction for traction limited cars - NOT applicable to a stock VX ;) ). I believe that stock tires would have reduced the ET by .2-.3 sec and added 2-3mph. Not bad for a tired truck!

http://youtu.be/CGXZzwHsHIU

Has anyone else tried their VX at the track?

Racing my VX at the track, also allowed me to weigh it! My stock VX, with hitch, heavier tires and 1/4 tank of fuel was 4025lbs (4245lbs with me in it, race weight).

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae215/grndsm/17A40607-1E7A-4726-A5AF-760065FED7E1-16450-000010C4492A07A1_zpsb87bb537.jpg

EVO
05/06/2013, 08:20 AM
Thats been calling me too!!! I was thinking of taking my VX to the Track just for ****s and giggles!! Glad your sharing, thinking of having mine dyno'd and baseline ET's and maybe Nittrious for a few more ponies!

Leon R
05/06/2013, 09:15 AM
I also have a video on my kid's phone, I will post it later. I never been N20 fan, but this got me thinking... VX is a PERFECT candidate for a "rear turbo" application! If we put it in place of the muffler, it will be only half as far from the engine, when compared to some of the typical "rear turbo kits".

Installing a turbo and plumbing intercooler piping should be pretty easy (under $1000 parts cost). But engine management is another story... Perhaps I should check with our RX8 friend on tuning options :).

Y33TREKker
05/06/2013, 01:57 PM
Now for the obvious question.

Did you use POWER mode? :winky:

EVO
05/06/2013, 02:24 PM
Tremendous Lag and Leak liability from a rear turbo setup. My buddies twin turbo C7 is a monster under boost when it isn't leaking. We 4G63's get him right up to a 100mph then he starts catching up! He passes me when I reach 147mph! Just don't do 80mph roll-ons as his Vette shreds tires up to 160!!!! Kinda freaky to see tires chunkin at over 100!!! His rear twin turbo is always leaking somewhere from all that piping so I can't reccommend it unless of course your motors back there!! Your going to have to pay someone to retune on a standalone ECU. I don't see many post on how much boost these motors take before they vent the BLOCK!!! Ouch!! So Supercharging or Turbo's are going to be a very expensive option for what 50 - 100awdhp? NOS for me on this plateform would be much more practical, but I'll let you know in a month or so. I got to check with my Tuner at Full Function, maybe they have some other idea's for me to spend my money!!!

Leon R
05/06/2013, 05:06 PM
Leaking is all about execution ;).

As I said, I can do hardware for under $1000. The RX7 guy suggested AEM FIC, which looks promising at around $350 (extra). I spent a few years tuning with AEM EMS, so I can't imagine this being much harder. This just might work...

My VX was in "power" mode ever since I discovered it, a few months ago :)

ABDragonVX
05/06/2013, 05:38 PM
Aem fic + gauges to monitor will cost more then just the fic unit. Just sayin lol. Not trying to thread jack but if all goes well this summer ill be running a 25-100 shot depending on how its handling premium gas, knock and afr of course.

Leon R
05/06/2013, 06:29 PM
OK, NOZ boys, we shall see ;). The cost of good engine management is worth every penny! And I do not mind paying for it! BTW, the same principle applies to peoperly using N2O...

Unfortunately, due to my project commitments, you might beat me to the extra power, but in the end, turbos are SO much better! :)

EVO
05/06/2013, 07:36 PM
Oh I whole heartedly agree!! I love turbo's!!! The problem is there does not seem to be too much data on how much boost these puppies can take. And then there are all the wonderful supporting mods. to support the extra boost$$$$$$ I'm just starting with the simplest power adders and not shooting for stupid fast!! Just a little something, something, for us adrenaline Junkies!

ABDragonVX
05/06/2013, 09:19 PM
My only perks for nitrous is that a) you can run regular everyday and not worry about turbo issues b) flick a switch and its still a good kick in the pants. Your right though ill be hooking up my aem wideband and fuel/oil as well as a window switch and nitrous pressure gauge, it adds up but I enjoy it, no spool etc. Also on my old hemi you could slam a 200 shot on it with a nitrous tune then switch to an 87 tune for daily driving. 650hp daily driver is sweet....haha....even if it's only 450ish on the streets.

EVO
05/07/2013, 05:26 AM
450ish on the Street is all SMILES! Turbos's and Superchargers are awesome power adders for stupid quick toys!! For me NOS is just for playing around because I'm just looking for 50-100awdhp on this plateform. I have my EVO for track days and just plain retarded stupid fast days!!

WormGod
05/07/2013, 07:10 AM
I 1/4'd my VX way WAY back when before I went with larger wheels/tires and supercharged it. Pretty much bone stock. So long ago I cant even recall what the slip read, heh.

Would love to try again now that it has been supercharged and granted some other "bolt on" engine management TLC. Sadly, tuning these rigs isn't much of an option and the trannies aren't very pleasant with added power anyways. I guess I save THAT part of my adrenaline lifestyle for my STi. ;)

EVO
05/07/2013, 07:18 AM
OOOOOhhh! Another adrenaline junky!! I feel ya on the STI! Different Lifestyle for sure! Funny thing is I don't miss driving my EVO at all?! Would love to hear from your supercharger runs though! Yeah, these VX's are fun the way they are but I can't stop thinking of just a little bit more!!!!!

Leon R
05/07/2013, 09:51 AM
I would LOVE to see your current results from the track! What is your blower using for engine management?

Leon R
05/07/2013, 09:22 PM
Added video (my 13 year old is playing with his editing app :))

EVO
05/08/2013, 05:46 AM
Krazy Kool!! Looked like a lot of fun!! Thanks for sharing! -Vince

WormGod
05/08/2013, 07:04 AM
No engine mapping for for the blower. The ISUZU ECU is not coded to ... well... be coded, heh. I believe some folks have attempted in the past, and even when they managed to, it always managed to revert learn/reflash on it's next ignite. Sure would hate to spend $600 of dyno time for a protune just to turn around and have it flash again when you left. In any case, the ISUZU ECU "adapts" on it's own. I have never thrown any CELs related to air intake or manifold pressure/vacuum. The only real difference is actually seeing BOOST from my boost gauge.

Aside from the blower, it is just coexisting with bolt-ons, like a larger air intake (though I have the stock airbox back on currently since I use that in the winter).

And nope, no runs as is. With these big old 285/60 tires, there is so much launch drag that it would do no better than without a blower. The only real advantage I have ever had with being boosted is at highway speed. Passing at 55+ is a breeze. Once those big meaty tires are already turning, that's where a blown VX shines. ;)

EVO
05/08/2013, 08:38 AM
Just out of curiousity whats are you getting mpg with that blower on? Good to know that the supercharger mod does not throw codes!! I'm getting around 15-17mpg stockish driving Ms. Daisy style and 12-14mpg lead foot style!

Leon R
05/08/2013, 08:50 AM
Gary,

Something has to be compensating for the boost pressure! Even if it is as simple as a fuel pressure regulator that can raise fuel pressure when it sees boost, but something has to change ;).

Do you recall if you had to upgrade your FPR? What boost are you seeing? What about your fuel pump, is it still stock?

WormGod
05/09/2013, 07:44 AM
MPG is worse, but that's mostly tire related. Should technically be able to get better MPG with a blower and driving "responsibly", but no. I am never responsible when I drive the VX and with the tires, I get around 11-13 MPG. ;)

The boost pressure line essentially taps from the fuel/manifold pressure. Stock FPR. Stock fuel pump. I believe another VX'er, Cyrk, had upgraded his fuel system when he supercharged, but I can't recall what all he did.

Remember, the Alpine is a baby blower. Nothing to call home to mom about. With the 5lb pulley, the max boost I have ever seen in 6psi. BUT.... that's instant boost with NO lag. I'll take it! ;)

EVO
05/09/2013, 08:20 AM
No Turbo Lag is a ++!! No drivechain problems with the added boost? On my EVO the first thing to let go was the transfer case, grenaded on launch when I hamfisted the clutch! But that was with 30pds of boost and drag radials! What a mess that was!! LOL! I can laugh now, but I was ****ting a brick when it happened!

Leon R
05/09/2013, 09:02 AM
I looked over the factory fuel system and I think I understand what is happening here: even through, stock FPR is meant to work off vacuum, this type of FPR is capable of using boost to actually increase the fuel pressure! It isn't necessary designed to do this, but it can do an OK, be it not very reliable, job at it.

I guess being at only 5-6 psi, keeps it "safe enough".

This is all coming together... I might have to start a Rear Mounted turbo thread :evil:

WormGod
05/10/2013, 07:34 AM
Right enough. The fuel is injected under pressure and the pressure determines the dump. It is not ideal on the VX with the blower, but it does work well enough. On heavy drops, I will catch a whiff of some fuel but never anything to worry about. I think a different pulley or higher vacuum blower, and you would get enough fuel dump to cause worry.

Ideally, you would want to consider a more economic system. Larger injectors, actuating fuel rails and pump, etc.

But, for a Sunday car for me, it's well enough now. Besides, there is nothing like going WOT on the merge lane on a highway and hearing that jet plane "whirring" sound from the blower and intake. The VX gets attention as is, but when it sounds like THAT.... oh yeah.... ;)

EVO
05/10/2013, 08:10 AM
AMEN!!! To the Boost Gods for allowing us change all that is around us!! We give thanks for E85, 1450cc Injectors, Dual Inline Walpro's, and The Tuners that keep us on the path of enlightenment!! LOL!!

Leon R
05/23/2013, 01:33 AM
So, just for fun, I used good old "Horsepower Calculators":

ET method:
hp = weight / (ET / 5.825)^3

Trap speed method:
hp = weight * (speed / 234)^3

My results were 169.3hp and 169.6hp respectively!

Giving 25% drivetrain losses, we get 212hp "at the crank", so everything seems in the "proper ballpark"! ;)

I just might throw it on the dyno, if I can catch a cheap Dyno Day with one of my car clubs.