PDA

View Full Version : Front drive shaft in 2WD.

Dumke
05/02/2013, 08:12 AM
So I decided to test the burning question. With my Front half shafts out and TOD disconnected does the front draft shaft still spin?

Well yes... yes it does. I placed my gopro camera underneath VX while I drove down the road and lo and behold that sucker is spinning

idgaf27
05/02/2013, 08:29 AM
you right it does spins. also it is true , when that shaft is removed - car is still drive well.

tom4bren
05/02/2013, 08:38 AM
So I decided to test the burning question. With my Front half shafts out and TOD disconnected does the front draft shaft still spin?

Well yes... yes it does. I placed my gopro camera underneath VX while I drove down the road and lo and behold that sucker is spinning

That wasn't the burning question. The burning question is whether the shaft is spinning because it's still being driven or is it just light friction (or viscous coupling).

Sorry, that sounds kinda snotty when I re-read it ... but it's just not worth the mental effort of a re-do:)

BTW - KUDOS on actually checking it out.

evillecutter
05/02/2013, 09:03 AM
i kinda want to see the video for no good reason

Dumke
05/02/2013, 09:28 AM
That wasn't the burning question. The burning question is whether the shaft is spinning because it's still being driven or is it just light friction (or viscous coupling).

Sorry, that sounds kinda snotty when I re-read it ... but it's just not worth the mental effort of a re-do:)

BTW - KUDOS on actually checking it out.

There was debate on the matter. As for your question Im all for finding the answer if possible. Unless that was a hint of sarcasm which shame on me. My sarcasm meter is broke this morning and it tends to not kick in till late afternoon time :D

tom4bren
05/02/2013, 09:40 AM
...Unless that was a hint of sarcasm which shame on me.

Nah, my sarcasm was cleverly cloaked by a veil of ineptitude with frivolty:)

SilverBullet75
05/02/2013, 10:20 AM
I think we should get the highest lifted VX, and tie strap someone to the bottom so they can grab the shaft and see how much force there is.

LOL
Sounds like a Moab Drinking Game to me!
Too bad I'm not going.....

tom4bren
05/02/2013, 10:44 AM
ROFL

I was actually researching a driveshaft brake for a while but that project went an entirely different direction.

Totally NOT apropos anyway since it would have been on the rear driveshaft & we're talking front.

Marlin
05/02/2013, 05:16 PM
Zipties do not work for holding someone, well they do, but it hurts a lot. We ziptied a guy to the ceiling on my first boat, before hazing became a cultural no no, left some nasty bruises. I guess if you used enough ties to distribute the wright better, but be warned, 4 industrial ties will hold a 165lb guy, but not comfortably:)
As for the spinning, I guess the best thing would be to stomp on it in 4high with TOD disconnected and see if it accelerates smoothly with the truck. I would think if it is light coupling, that there would be some slippage.