PDA

View Full Version : Re: TOD Question

ameetw
11/02/2003, 04:37 AM
Hi, I have a Jap version Vx. My Question is can the TOD be engaged while driving? From 2WD to auto to 4WD? If not, what is the best gear to change it.... P, N..?

Thanks
Ameet

tomdietrying
11/02/2003, 06:57 AM
I didn't know there was a difference between the japanese and U.S. VXs, beside the obvious, the steering and the rear camera.

Doesn't the TOD always engage? I thought under regular driving directions the TOD engadge in a 15/85 split between the front and rear tires.

Since I'm already here, what year did the VX come out? I know it came out in the U.S. in 1999. When did it come out in prodution form in Japan?

Tom

dutchie
11/02/2003, 07:01 AM
Hi Ameetw,
Yes until 80 kph you can engage and disengage TOD.

Production started in 1997.

ameetw
11/02/2003, 03:35 PM
Hi Dutchie...
I'm kinda scared to do it at 80Km/h. I'll try it at 10 first... but sometimes there is that gear noise... like you're going forward then switch to the reverse gear... that noise...! ouch.... Currently I switch when I'm in N, sounds safer... :)

Anyway thanks... will try it out later.

David Wiltshire
11/03/2003, 12:33 AM
Hi Ameetw,
Since buying my VX I have not taken it out of TOD, the reason I choose the VX over the Pajero Evolution was this amazingly advanced four wheel drive system. I guess if you lived in a country where it never rained or you never went off road you could disengage TOD I am sure if you get really heavy rain and drive it quickly you soon see how quick TOD reacts all in all the performance of the vehicle and the drive system are two products in perfect harmony and in my opinion should not be seperated.
Best regards
David Wiltshire.

Green Dragon
11/03/2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by David Wiltshire
Hi Ameetw,
Since buying my VX I have not taken it out of TOD, the reason I choose the VX over the Pajero Evolution was this amazingingly advanced four wheel drive system. I guess if you lived in a country where it never rained or you never went off road you could disengage TOD I am sure if you get really heavy rain and drive it quickly you soon see how quick TOD reacts all in all the performance of the vehicle and the drive system are two products in perfect harmony and in my opinion should not be seperated.
Best regards
David Wiltshire.

Actually it would seem Isuzu disagrees with you as all the late model Troopers have TOD disconnect, Including my wifes 2002 which was the last build year for the Trooper.

P.S. I live in snow country

Dragon Bob;eekg;

Cyrk
11/03/2003, 07:38 AM
Bob do you happen to have a pic of the tod disconnect switch?
I want to add that to my VX, called St Charles to try to find out...
Came up with p/n 8971426561/ Switch Transfer for TOD (for 97 to newer Trooper)

$69.48

Wondering if this is that switch?

Also cannot seem to located the directions on how to disconnect the TOD. anyone have the link to it or better dir on how to do it.

Thanks,
Dave

David Wiltshire
11/03/2003, 08:29 AM
Hi all,
I am right in thinking that all VX's come with a second lever next to the shift lever with 4L TOD 2H and not just the Japanese spec vehicle.
Best regards
David Wiltshire

Dallas4u
11/03/2003, 08:45 AM
Nope... not in the US, David. Instead of the round switch you guys have over there, we have a 4WD lever. Normal usage is 4 High, which uses TOD. Pulling the lever pushes into 4 Low... we do not have the 4H - TOD - 4L switch.

David Wiltshire
11/03/2003, 09:21 AM
Hi Dallas4U
Thanks, I did not realise there was a difference in the drive select lever between the U.S. and Japanese spec vehicles. The lever in the Japanese spec is like a lot of U.K. off roaders in so far as the 4L indicates full drive to all wheels on the TOD display ,TOD gives you TOD and 2H only gives drive to the rear as indicated on the display. Which was why I was a bit puzzled by Ameetw's question about switching into TOD once on the move as starting off in TOD gives you the extra traction from the start if required.

ameetw
11/03/2003, 03:34 PM
Hi David...
The reason why I asked is because I prefer to use the 2WD on normal days and if it starts to rain or a bad situation, I'd switch to TOD Auto. I guess I have this nagging feeling that it might wear up the gears or somthing and it might decrease the gas milage. Just my feeling I guess. :)

Dutchie, It works... I've tried it at below 80Km/h and it worked but only to auto. I guess for 4WD you have to stop?

Oh yeah another thing, once the rear seat is folded, is there a way to tie it down? I accelerated and the whole seat fell backwards... almost killing the TV i was carrying... Thanks a mill

Ameet

dutchie
11/03/2003, 03:46 PM
Ameetw,
For 4wd lo, you have to stop and put the car in P. Never try to engage it when you`re driving!
You can connect the seats to a ring located between your rear and front seat, right in the middle.
After you folded your seats you should see a strap with a metal hook connected to it, that`s what you connect to the ring.
If you can`t finf it, I`ll send you a pic!
BTW TOD off will give you a better mileage, and a more exciting to drive vehicle! But turn it on in the wet, or you`ll be spinning donuts!;Db;

Raque Thomas
11/03/2003, 04:54 PM
Did we ever establish how to modify a US spec vehicle to have optional TOD?? I assume if the Japanese versions have it, it is not harmful to the system.

AlaskaVX
11/03/2003, 04:57 PM
Its been talked about, if you snip the light blue wire from underneath the passenger seat it will disconnect TOD. if you put a switch you can turn it on and off, however I know it threw a code sometimes so someone put a resistor somewhere or something like that, to bypass the code.

David Wiltshire
11/04/2003, 01:36 AM
Hi Ameetw,
I can see now what you mean, and confess to being a gadjet freak who must have all 'toys' in operation despite the fact that you will get better fuel consumption without TOD and possibly a bit less wear on transmisission (this is one reason I am going to buy a Nissan Skyline GTR34 all those lovely 4WD computer systems whiring away) Looking back at my reply to your original question it does come across a bit pompous and I hope it caused no offence. If you can get any copies scanned of any important looking bits of the manual I can arrange for the person who reads and speaks Japanese to translate.
Best regards
David Wiltshire

VX_HK
11/04/2003, 03:44 AM
hi Ameetw

don't worry about shifting from rear drive to TOD. I always do that (mine is a Jap ver VX also) when driving under 100 km. The noise level from the front will rise slightly but that's all

ameetw
11/04/2003, 04:31 AM
Hi David, me take offence..? Never... :) Infact I actually understand why would you want the Auto on all the way., I drove it in auto all the way in the rain.... WAY COOL!!!!

As for the Book.... call me silly but I still can't post pics!!! I don't dare to ask Scott again.... he might get pissed of at me.... :flame2: :mbrasd:

Oh Well...I'll try to find a way to scan the book in.... If I do 5 pages a day...... I guess I can get the whole book in no time.... about 4 months??

Oh yeah Dutchie, NOW YOU TELL ME!!! 4WD LO!!! Hehe... kinda guessed it when the gears went like crunch!!! ::D Thanks for the info.... Do you know what is the max speed in 4WD Lo. I want to take my baby to Mount Kinabalu soon. Too bad I'm the only one here.... If not.... Sabah Meet :)

VX_HK, you're right.... I can hear the noise... no... the purrr when switched over.... sounds like I have a turbo unit installed...:)

Thanks All

dutchie
11/04/2003, 05:40 AM
Ok Ameetw, Dave and HK VX, some things you should know about the Japanese VX.
1-When you drive faster than 180 kph your gasoline will get cut off!
Scary sh1t, because you go from 180 till 110 in a second, without your brakelights engaging!
2-Don`t shift down too much, there are quiet a lot of probs with the VX gear box
3-4lo makes you only go like 20 kph.
4-The Jap VX suspension setting is harder than the US version, something to think about before you decide on those 20 inchers!
5-Don`t drive on a full tank, your mileage will go down.
6-The Jap vx uses different brake pads then the US vx, they wear down after 20000 k, instead get bighorn/trooper pads.
Sincerely,
Serge

David Wiltshire
11/04/2003, 06:49 AM
Hi dutchie,
Funny you should mention the stiffness of the suspension set up because when I first fitted the Pirelli Scorpion Zero's 245/70r16's I had the tyre place inflate them at 2 bar as indicated after running them in a bit I started to drive it fast (I bought the tyres purely for dry and wet tarmac use) it did bounce a bit anyway over a long period I have de-flated them and found that running at 27 psi gives tight road holding with a slightly smoother ride and just a few psi over causes a rather jiggly ride.
Its a bit worrying about the gearbox but I tend to keep in D all the time and shift to power at traffic lights to show off.
Having fitted a state of the art radar detector I have not really driven the VX over 100 mph so I have never experienced the fuel shut off but it does sound a pain.

Moncha
11/04/2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ameetw
.... call me silly but I still can't post pics!!! I don't dare to ask Scott again.... he might get pissed of at me.... :flame2: :mbrasd: ...

Ask anyone.. I never get upset over someone asking for help.. I'd be glad too or, I'm sure there are plenty of other members that can help out too...
That's the whole point of this site, we're all family!

David Wiltshire
11/05/2003, 03:00 AM
Hi Ameetw,
Does sound too much of a task sending all that info as much of it will probably be how to remove the ashtray or whatever. Scott did send me the service schedule which is quite useful and I am going to arrange for the person to read all the labels inside the engine bay in case there is something obvious about maintenance I have missed. One thing I did read on this site about what you should do if you get a puncture might be worth checking out. Its a pity that Isuzu has left so many of us stumbling around in the dark about our vehicles. The U.K. main importer International Motors seem to be of the opinion that the vehicle does not exist.
Best regards
David Wiltshire.

ameetw
11/05/2003, 07:36 AM
Hi David, My sis will be here during the Chinese New Year for about 2 weeks, then she is off to UK, Sheffield, If you are interested, I can order a book for you. She can bring it back to the UK, and you only have to pay for the UK shipping from Sheffield to where you are plus the price of the book of course. The book is about 68 pounds. It's a photo copy of the original done by Isuzu Malaysia. Blue Hard Cover. Nicely Done. Let me know if you want one.

Yes, I do want to start the scanning project, I want to make an English Version of the part book, but currently been a bit busy.... my company is going listing... so lots of flying around.

Ameet