PDA

View Full Version : seriously considering selling or trading

CrnCnn
04/26/2013, 11:06 AM
Hello,

I really havent been active in a while and really haven't been driving the VX either. I am leaning towards selling it or trading for a small travel trailer since we now have a boat and spend a lot of the summer at the lake. I can't afford to buy new tires or fix some of the issues right now cause the boat is taking the extra money.

Decisions. Decisions.

tom4bren
04/26/2013, 11:17 AM
Make sure you find a way to combine your activities. We haven't had the boat out since we got the RV. Since the RV park nearest us (where we can combine the two activites) is about 1 1/2 hours away, it's problematical to take the boat. The RV is 32' so not ideal for boat launching & it's just a little illegal in VA to tow the VX towing the boat.:)

Anyway ... hope you find a way to keep all your toys.

CrnCnn
04/26/2013, 11:39 AM
Yea, the boat stays at the lake and so will the trailer so I think it will be ok.

tom4bren
04/26/2013, 11:46 AM
It should be a 'buyer's market' for travel trailers right now. Good luck with finding the right one.

I'm sorry ... I think you were looking for us to talk you OUT of selling ...

NO, DON'T DO IT!!! The entirety of your happiness ... nay ... your very reason for existence revolves around having a VX in the driveway. Sleep in the boat ... mortgage the kid for $$$ to put new shoes on the VX ... anything but sell the VX!!!

Mile High VX
04/26/2013, 02:15 PM
I can't afford to buy new tires or fix some of the issues right now cause the boat is taking the extra money.

Decisions. Decisions.

BOAT...just another word for Bring Out Another Thousand...:bgwb::bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

Like Tom said...don't do it...find another way!

Beavertractors
04/27/2013, 05:25 AM
Boats are fun.. Last year Spent 100hrs acouple hundred dollars working on mine (stored for 10 years) used it for maybe 10hrs last year..In a couple weeks going to spend my extra money on vx instead:)

Leon R
04/27/2013, 08:46 AM
If you are going to sell it, list it nationally. If this is a rust free, AZ car, it will bring a premium! Just about anything can be repaired... Except for rust... So it is worth to pay extra!

CrnCnn
04/27/2013, 09:33 AM
I know the boat will cost money. We bought it at an excellent price and already put another thousand into it.

We go to the lake a lot every summer. So I know we will use it.

Believe me, I dont want to get rid of the VX. I would rather get rid of our car but we have a loan against it. I just know I will have a hard time coming up with the money I need for tires and stuff.

Frustrating.

VXD959
04/27/2013, 09:57 AM
Well, go ahead and post the information and pics. There's always someone interested to buy if the price is right.

Y33TREKker
04/27/2013, 10:32 AM
I know the boat will cost money. We bought it at an excellent price and already put another thousand into it.

We go to the lake a lot every summer. So I know we will use it.

Believe me, I dont want to get rid of the VX. I would rather get rid of our car but we have a loan against it. I just know I will have a hard time coming up with the money I need for tires and stuff.

Frustrating.
During "low" times, those types of things just become a matter of time rather than money for me. I may not always have the money "right now" to do some of the things I want/need to do, but that doesn't mean I'll always be in the same situation in the future.

With summertime drawing near, it's understandable that time and money towards the boat would be prioritized at the moment, but if you don't NEED to do anything with the VX for the time being, you're not going to be out much money if you don't use it very much, or for that matter, just let it set around this summer.

What does it look like long term over the next few months or so for being able to just wait and get new tires in time for winter?

And what size tires are you needing by the way? I have a set of all-season radials on my winter rims I've been considering selling because it was proven to me a couple of months ago that I need a more aggressive tread for the amount of snow I get here in the winter. I've been thinking recently about making the change to my summer setup, so I wouldn't be needing my current "winter" setup for awhile again.

nocturnalVX
04/27/2013, 11:27 AM
I have a 1995 Ducati Monster that needs some TLC, and can't be ridden at the moment. This is not the first time it has sat waiting for the $$$ to get it back on the street, and there have been a few times when I was tempted to sell it. I have a 2009 Harley that is my main bike, and the VX... both of these come first. The thing is... every time I fire it up (or when I get to ride it) thoughts of not having it weigh heavily on my heart. Cecilia said it best when she pointed out that the cash from selling it would be gone right away (paying for something else), and then I would not have either. No extra cash... and no more Monster. I am going to hold on to my Ducati, and I STRONGLY urge you to hold on to your VX unless there is no other choice. I hope to enjoy riding my bikes and driving my VX for many more years no matter what else life has in store. Good luck with everything!

Chopper
04/29/2013, 05:37 AM
Ducs are the only way to fly

tom4bren
04/29/2013, 08:24 AM
I just know I will have a hard time coming up with the money I need for tires and stuff.

Been there ... done that ... hell, still doin that! Livin the 'Merican dream = paycheck 2 paycheck.

... just let it set around this summer.

Agreed. This is a case where procrastination is your friend. By the time you get the right buyer, your situation will change & you won't need to sell it anymore.

BTW - what kind of boat did you get?

Vendetta
04/29/2013, 04:48 PM
Here's (http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=250226&postcount=12) what I told Tom.

My feelings haven't changed, but they were sure tested over the past few months by my supercharger woes (http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=279812&postcount=777).

Good luck, whichever way you decide.
-V

evillecutter
04/30/2013, 06:54 AM
there are only a few thousand left in the world - keep it and stare at it when you need inspiration for fixing your boat

89Vette
04/30/2013, 01:50 PM
Here's (http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=250226&postcount=12) what I told Tom.

My feelings haven't changed, but they were sure tested over the past few months by my supercharger woes (http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=279812&postcount=777).

Good luck, whichever way you decide.
-V

Since the ECMs in these things have been declared unprogrammable, I'm curious what it took for your fuel remapping (and, presumably, spark remapping)?

Did you need to use a new computer system? Does someone actually know how to reprogram these computers?

Vendetta
04/30/2013, 09:56 PM
I was curious about the same items, ex post facto. I do know they were able to read the fuel mappings and determine they were right on the line. Any more boost and we'd need a piggyback ECM, plus an upgraded FPR, injector setup and fuel pump.

When I see him again (and I will), I'll ask him more specifics.

-V

89Vette
05/01/2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks V. Here's what I'm going to guess...and it's based on your 2nd-to-last post concerning the parts necessary to make it work.

I'm betting they changed nothing in the ECM. And, by piggy-back ECM, they're saying they reached the limit of boost w/o having greater control of tuning parms -- which probably means spark control.

You can use things like bigger injectors and/or more fuel pressure to deliver more fuel -- in response to the increase of air provided by a supercharger. But a change in fuel pressure or injector size is linear. That means you'd have extra fuel at idle and lower rpms -- where the supercharger isn't really adding air. That's my many/most superchargers come with a fuel management unit (aka FMU). Either yours wasn't initially setup right...or they added one.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12175053_use-fmu-supercharging.html

The link above explains an FMU and how it changes the "slope" of fuel delivery. It allows more fuel to be delivered at higher rpm/higher load conditions without flooding the vehicle at idle. I'm better your shop finally got the fuel delivery right with the use of one of these EXTERNAL devices. That means your ECM is still stock and still "thinks" it's pushing a stock engine.

It also means your spark map is still the same as stock. For more boost, they probably need to "hack" into that spark map and start pulling some spark. By that, I mean lower the amount of electronic advance before the piston hits the top of the cylinder. Spark actually STARTS before the piston hits the ideal top of cylinder location because of the amount of time it takes for the fuel to combust/burn. Higher pressures of supercharging, turbocharging, and smaller cylinder chambers make fuel ignite easier. Fuel ignites easier under pressure. (For diesel engines, the pressure itself is enough to create the combustion.)

So, when you say you need a piggy-back ECM to run more boost, I think you're hearing that you've reached the limit of the stock ECM's ability to self-adjust spark advance. Like fuel delivery, modern engines can/do adjust fuel/spark delivery by monitoring sensors that provide feedback. The O2 sensor lets the ECM know when to deliver more/less fuel. The knock sensor tells it to back off timing advance. In both cases, there are pre-programmed limits and pre-programmed tolerances. Once you get outside something like a 15% correction, the ECM can't adjust any further. You end up with the type of problem(s) you saw before the FMU was configured correctly.

89V

gletom
05/01/2013, 10:28 AM
They will bury me in my proton!