View Full Version : The Gunbarrel VX - Labor of Love

gunbarrelvx
04/26/2013, 10:24 AM
Just picked up my VX from some light body work.

As with all labor of love projects, my next task is to replace the fan clutch and address the driver side door. My questions.

1. How hard is it to replace the fan clutch?
2. The door will not lock. Seems like it will not engage and I cannot move the lock push pin on the door or engage it with my key. Any ideas? How hard is it to replace the mechanism?

Thoughts?

tom4bren
04/26/2013, 11:24 AM
1. How hard is it to replace the fan clutch?

It shouldn't be difficult. IIRC there was a recent talk on the subject if you can find it. I'm sure it would be helpful to have an extra set of hands available to hold the fan still whilst turning bolts. The problem you'll face is finding the correct replacement clutch. There were several horror stories about getting the wrong part from local autoparts stores.

2. The door will not lock. Seems like it will not engage and I cannot move the lock push pin on the door or engage it with my key. Any ideas? How hard is it to replace the mechanism?

That shouldn't be difficult either. It's likely that you won't even need to buy parts. Several others have talked about a rod inside the door becoming disconnected & fixed it with a zip tie.

:smack:

gunbarrelvx
04/26/2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks Tom.

Any ideas on which fan clutches to avoid?

tom4bren
04/26/2013, 02:26 PM
Sorry, not a clue.

EDIT:

I did a search on 'fan clutch' and a little quick reading. It appears the consensus is to use OEM. Aftermarket fans & clutches don't seem to do as well on our VX. I even saw where one member had switched to an electric fan but ended up switching back because they weren't satisfied.

Marlin
04/29/2013, 12:02 PM
I have been running a torque cool clutch from autozone for 4 yrs. No problems, but it is loud!!