PDA

View Full Version : Getting Oem Parts From Isuzu For Our Vx's? - Please Read!

louweed
04/21/2013, 08:11 PM
I recently had some front end damage to my VX. My insurance guy called the only local Chevy/Isuzu dealership left in my area and their parts dept said, and I quote,"If enough people order VX hoods for ex. for $410.00/pc, then ISUZU will then contract them out (to whomever) to make them for those who ordered." Then we asked, "well exactly how many people have to order one (1) of those same parts?" And he said, at least 12 to 15 people. Is anyone aware of this or have any knowledge of this? If so, this seems like a great way for everyone to order spare parts in quantity at (dealer?) price. Thoughts?

:confused:

mdwyer
04/21/2013, 09:15 PM
And he said, at least 12 to 15 people. Is anyone aware of this or have any knowledge of this? If so, this seems like a great way for everyone to order spare parts in quantity at (dealer?) price. Thoughts?

Yeah, but the same holds for private parties, too. If fifteen of us wanted a hood, we could easily contract a fiberglass shop to take a mold of the existing one and fabricate up a bunch of them.

The problem is that fifteen of us don't need a hood insert. Not today, at least.

That said, there are certainly cases where the economies work. One of our members is casting OEM-replica roof rack parts and spare tire compartment screws that are better than the OEM and probably cheaper and more available. I'm just not sure if the hood insert counts.

Could we get 15 people to do an OEM hood insert? Maybe. That's a nice way to resolve the cracking issues. But could we get 15 people to do a carbon fiber hood insert? If you're already doing a custom casting, you might as well go further... you know?

louweed
04/21/2013, 09:30 PM
Yeah, but the same holds for private parties, too. If fifteen of us wanted a hood, we could easily contract a fiberglass shop to take a mold of the existing one and fabricate up a bunch of them.

The problem is that fifteen of us don't need a hood insert. Not today, at least.

That said, there are certainly cases where the economies work. One of our members is casting OEM-replica roof rack parts and spare tire compartment screws that are better than the OEM and probably cheaper and more available. I'm just not sure if the hood insert counts.

Could we get 15 people to do an OEM hood insert? Maybe. That's a nice way to resolve the cracking issues. But could we get 15 people to do a carbon fiber hood insert? If you're already doing a custom casting, you might as well go further... you know?

No, I mean an actual HOOD, not that hood "insert" thingy.

$410+ :winko:

Marlin
04/22/2013, 01:47 PM
That is a helluva a deal for the entire hood, I would assume without the insert?

louweed
04/22/2013, 05:12 PM
That is a helluva a deal for the entire hood, I would assume without the insert?

YES, w/o insert. I wish people here would respond more. This is for ALL VX PARTS (thats my understanding at least.) Everytime I see a VX in a scrap yard people here go nuts for used parts, even the tiniest little things. Here we have the opportunity to get our hands on OEM hoods, cladding, brakelights, etc. at dealer prices if only 12-15 of us order at one time. Surprised this has NOT been brought up before...

:confused:

LittleBeast
04/22/2013, 05:34 PM
We can still get most parts from Merlin at St Charles Isuzu, and his price will not be that much more than your "dealership" price.

The reason people "go crazy" for parts VX's is because the parts are FAR below even stealership pricing. Sorry I have been around here for a while and I do not see this being a viable option. But good luck if you really want to try. Between Merlin and Isuzu Parts (.com) and rock auto and parts VX's and amazon and so many other (in my opinion better options) I don't see the point, at least for now.

Marlin
04/22/2013, 06:25 PM
For things like headlights and tail lights, this may be a decent option. But he hit it pretty much on the head, I would never pay 1100 dollars for an AC compressor, which is what Isuzu is asking. Same goes for cladding and so on. But 400ish bucks for a hood is still a great deal.

blacksambo
04/23/2013, 06:17 AM
Why don't we run this new option by Merlin at St Charles Isuzu in Missouri. He has been our go to guy for ages. Maybe he'll come up with an even better price for OEM duplicates?

Leon R
04/23/2013, 07:05 AM
Hoods typically cost $150-$200 to ship, so consider this when buying one that requires shipping. I also think that it is very unlikely that 12-15 people will NEED a hood BADLY enough to justify a $600 expenditure.

Cobrajet
04/26/2013, 04:33 PM
You never need a hood until you need one... I hauled around a spare hood for my Torino for 34 years, and finally sold it last year. I figure if I really needed a hood, the car would be more work than I was willing to put into it. And I've got a ton of other parts exactly the same. I'll find a VX hood when I need one... Though I'll probably be dead when that happens. :(

gunbarrelvx
05/01/2013, 07:00 AM
Does anyone need a hood? I recently saw one for sale.

VXorado
05/01/2013, 08:34 AM
Does anyone need a hood? I recently saw one for sale.

I'm guessing that's the one from Fort Collins? I bought it on ebay a few months ago for $50 and they told me it was destroyed in a fire. I figured it was BS and found it on craigslist a week later. Now they've had it for months listed at $75 with no buyers. Should of just sold it to me in the first place... jerks. :p

nfpgasmask
05/01/2013, 10:17 AM
I dunno, that sounds like a pile of crap to me. I have been buying parts direct from Merlin and JLEMOND for a while. When Isuzu discontinues a part, you simply CANNOT get it anymore. Isuzu will deplete whatever they have in GLOBAL stock, and once it is gone, it is gone.

Right now I am trying to find body mounts for my 91 Trooper, and they are completely discontinued. I contacted Energy Suspension, and they basically do not have anything and do not want to try to help at all.

To me, the bottom line is, if you can get, buy it and horde it.

Bart