PDA

View Full Version : tyre(tire) pressures

lenny
10/31/2003, 11:16 AM
hi all

can any one tell me what pressure i should put in my tyres (tires)
i have fitted

295/40/20

thanks all

AlaskaVX
10/31/2003, 11:18 AM
It should tell you the max pressure on the tire itself, Since you don't have much rubber at all, I would run it maybe 1lb under the max

lenny
10/31/2003, 11:34 AM
hi

ive read on a site and they say to run at manufactuers
tire pressure, but i have no idea what thats suppose to be
any ideas

thanks

AlaskaVX
10/31/2003, 11:57 AM
what tires do you have?

lenny
10/31/2003, 12:08 PM
hi

i have goodyear wrangler f1's

thanks

Navigator
10/31/2003, 12:19 PM
... for stock tire sizes the proper pressure is is displayed on the door frame for quick reference. I have tried other pressures and tire sizes and found "STOCK" is best for me. Too much air makes the VX bounce like a son'bi@ch, you can lower the pressure for more traction on loose surfaces like snow, sand, and gravel, but on pavement too little air risks a blow out from too much sidewall flexing.

lenny
10/31/2003, 12:23 PM
hi

ive looked every where on me car i think the sticker has been removed so do you know

thanks

Tone
10/31/2003, 04:14 PM
Pressure on the vehicle sticker is for COMFORT only - if you want max handling, mileage and safety, go with the max pressure listed on the sidewall of the tires you are using, including stock. Under inflation is the biggest cause of blowouts and tire wear - remember the little Firestone issue on the Explorers? Cushy ride can equal roll over.

nocturnalVX
10/31/2003, 06:46 PM
I'd listen to Tone. Stock 18" tires are supposed to be set at 29 p.s.i. (see back of owner's manual), but I was running them at 35 p.s.i. (not max, but close) and the ride was greatly improved. I am running my new 31" tires at their max rating (50 p.s.i.), so if I were you I'd look on the sidewall of your tires and go with whatever it says.

Virus-VX
10/31/2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Navigator
... Too much air makes the VX bounce like a son'bi@ch...

lenny,
My $0.02 and IMHO of course.

I absolutely agree with Navigator. I would personally recommend to stick with your vehicle manufacturer recommended "psi" if you run stock tires, or tire manufacturer's recommendation for your particular vehicle if you run aftermarket tires with the same or even different size and/or construction than stock. Over inflated tires can dramatically reduce quality and comfort of your ride and such symptoms as bouncing, wandering, excessive sway, too much road noise, can occur. Also over inflation will cause excessive center tread wear, reduces the shock absorbing capabilities and will leading to a harsh ride . Under inflated tires can result in imprecise cornering, reduce ability to support the load/traction, higher running temperatures, irregular tread wear at the edge of the contact patch, fatigue cracking, overstressing and splitting in the sidewall.
Always watch under inflation and try not to over inflate your tires.